Page 1 of 1

Radeon 9800Pro

Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:57 am
by petdoc
Just built myself a new computer but my favorite game is having problems. The graphics are fubarred. Its like the screen isnt being refreshed before new graphics go up. Text will layer on top of each other, any part of the map not covered by a new picture will remain around the border even if it shouldnt be there. I hope I explained this well, and I assume its some card setting for 2d, but darned if I know what it is. Any help greatly appreciated.

Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 11:41 am
by Marc von Martial
Are you using the latest drivers for the Radeon?

Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 4:03 am
by petdoc
Yes the 3.7 catalysts.

Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 7:33 pm
by msaario
I'm just looking at buying a new system. The sales guy said - after I asked him about the graphics cards - that he has had some problems with ATI cards, something like you described.

So, the system I am considering contains an nVidia card even though I wanted to get an ATI card initially. I haven't heard of large scale problems though.

Have you checked the game's website?

--Mikko

Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 8:24 pm
by spence
I know little about computers but I encountered a similar layering of screens recently. The machine in question was an old Compaq which had been running the game just fine until my wife, principle user of the computer, put in a program she wanted which came close to filling up the hard drive (a partioned 4 gig with half apparently reserved for Windows and other important system stuff and only half really available for everything else). Anyway UV started layering the screens thereafter until I cleaned out all the old turn/combat saves and assorted other stuff, freed up some space on the drive and defragmented the drive. I doubt this has anything to do with your problem...but I have seen what you described....and maybe it'll help.

Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 9:25 pm
by petdoc
Interesting extra bit of info. First game I load (always a combat save from pbem) the loading bar fills then game always hangs. I give the three finger salute to bring up task manager and it minimizes the loading screen (by itself, no help from me). If I click on the minimized UV tab at bottom, the screen remaximizes to black screen then the combat replay starts, slowly layering on the graphics one at a time as they are required. If I load any gamesw after that it starts ok but again overlayers the graphics. Almost like the 2d grahics cant initialize or something, but stay up once the game requires them. Fresh install of UV 2.3 and 70GB free on my hard drive.

more info

Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 8:22 am
by petdoc
Dont know if anyone is paying attention to this thread but more info in case anyone can help. If I minimize the game (alt tab) then remax it it will refresh the graphics although often the bottom info area is blacked out till info comes up and slowly stays on screen. Its a bit of an awkward workaround but much more playable than the overly layered graphics.

Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 10:23 am
by Fred98
Interesting,

I am about to upgrade some parts and I had decided upon the Radeon 9600 graphics card.

If I could not run UV I would be devastated.

Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 5:07 pm
by Oleg Mastruko
I have Radeon 9600 Pro in my new PC and UV works fine (other games as well, but you need to check for new drivers and game patches - for instance Sub Commaned needs to be started with "-ati" switch, but otherwise works fine).

O.

Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 7:54 pm
by Apollo11
Hi all,

I have ATI Radeon 9700 Pro in my PC for past few months and everything always worked (and is working) OK...


Leo "Apollo11"

Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 5:09 am
by Deathtreader
Shot in the dark.............
probably way off base (no pun intended) here but have you tried slowing down your graphics acceleration?? I used to have overlay problems also, but slowing the card down eliminated them. Might be worth a try.......
Rob.

Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 6:19 am
by petdoc
DING DING DING, we have a winner, well almost. I slowed the core and memory speed on my card and its like 95% now. Still hangs when loaded first time but after remaximizing (see previous post) it runs, no layering. The minimap in lower right corner is still black, but I never used it anyway. Fortunately its very easy for me to change the card speed so its not a huge deal, although I think Matrix needs to make a patch just for me (j/k). Thanks everyone for your help, I just love this forum (group hug, wipes eyes).

Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 3:12 pm
by Malakim
Disable the "ClearType" feature of WinXP, and the text will be readable/not overlapping. Had the same problem before, and this procedure helped.

Best Regards,
Markus Svensson

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 6:51 am
by Mr.Frag
Just a note, watch the new drivers, they have some issues causing monitors to go up in smoke!

Seems to do some strange refresh rate switching on exiting 3D modes. If you monitor doesn't have over-frequency protection, keep your hand very near the power button if the screen starting flickering, pounce!