Page 1 of 1

Equipment breakdowns

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2001 12:49 pm
by FrankyVas
I'm playing the long campaign (again) as the Germans. 1st battle, I have 40 T35s. So far, turn 6, 5 of them have had their guns fail. I mean this are 37mm guns, I would think that the gunner could unjam it, which would be the most common malfunction. At this rate by turn 30 I'll have more than half of my guns disabled.

I like the fact that equipment can break in battle, I think that small guns like the 37's should be easy to fix. Perhapps if the gun breaks, you loose all shots for that turn and then have a chance to fix it next turn, not just scrap the gun. This chance should go down with the size of the gun and the complexity of the vehicle. Well, this is just my opinion.

Frank V.

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2001 2:34 pm
by Fredde
You have a point here.. vehicles get fixed once in a while, but i'm still waiting to see a malfunctioning weapon getting fixed. Jammed small weapons are usually quite easy to fix, machine guns even more so than small guns.

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2001 9:32 pm
by orc4hire
I've had so many weapons malfunction, and never seen one get repaired, that I finally turned the feature off. It was getting silly.

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2001 10:18 pm
by Warhorse
me too, although I think in the next patch this was one of the things addressed, don't hold me to that though!

------------------
Mike Amos
Meine Ehre Heisst Treue

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2001 11:08 pm
by Sanko
Mabe there could be an option, that allows you to repair? In that case you would loose action points? At least that could work for some of the units, I think.

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2001 4:22 am
by Dedas
Didn`t they have an easy repair kit or something in the tanks, so anyone in the tank could fix the guns or whatever break quickly?
Or did everyone in each tank have a mechanic exam on every tank they drove or what...!?
Just a thought...

------------------
Glory to the brave

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2001 5:09 am
by Grumble
IMHO, this is a remnant of ASL which has reared its ugly head in SPWAW...
I didn't like the rules then; don't use it now.
Given that that each turn is "a few - 7 minutes" then in this space of time crews are doing more than just shooting. As others have said, most stoppages at least for small arms, can be cleared in seconds if not minutes.
I think a better way to sim this is to use an existing routine: namely tracking ammo expenditure. By reducing the available ammunition for low-reliability weapons in game terms one makes the same effect. Doesn't matter if you can't shoot due to a "break" or lack of ammunition.
[NB For that matter, it works on vehicle breakdowns as well. If one assumes that crews won't drive flat out because their vehicles can't take it, then reduce the vehicle's movement per turn.]

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2001 5:38 am
by BruceAZ_MatrixForum
I turn off the command as it was getting silly especially when they were out for the whole battle.

------------------
"The most important element in war is man. And there are no tougher men than my China Marines." Major Gen. Archer 'Archy' Vandegrift, 1st Marine Division

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2001 5:40 am
by Wild Bill
Excessive breakdowns do tend to take from the game. I would agree that some gun breakdowns might have a higher ratio of repair possibility. I hope it is addressed in 4.6.

Wild Bill

------------------
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Coordinator, Scenario Design
Matrix Games