Page 1 of 1

Pacific War books

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 8:13 pm
by mark24
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend any detailed accounts of the conflict as a whole? Multi-volumed tomes welcome :)

Mark

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 8:37 pm
by Mr.Frag
If you want the entire history of the USAF in WW II, you can download the PDF files. It is just short of a Gigabyte worth of information. Be aware it is about 8-9 months worth of reading material by itself but it truely is facinating. It covers both theaters.

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:28 pm
by mdiehl
H.P. Wllmott has written two volumes of a 3++ volume series that is pretty good from a general strategy POV. One of them is The Barrier and the Javelin. Another is Empires in the Balance.

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:30 pm
by Custer6
Hi Mr Frag,
Do you have a website for that?
Thanks

USAAF History site

Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:01 am
by BPRE
Hi Custer6,

Try this link:

http://www.airforcehistory.hq.af.mil/te ... RLD_WAR_II

Regards
BPRE

Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:05 am
by Mr.Frag
Yep, thats the link, just be aware these files are huge and their link speed is pretty low ... plan on quite a while for getting them ...

Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:17 am
by TIMJOT
S.E. Morison's "History of USN Operations in WWII." although somewhat dated still offers an excellent comprehensive overview from the USN perspective. Be prepared though its 14 volumes of which about 2/3rds cover the Pacific campaign.

I would also second Mdeihl's recomendation of J.P Wilmonts 2 vol. set. For a detailed strategic treatment of the Pacific war its hard to beat.

Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:42 am
by mark24
Wow, that was quick!

Thanks very much for the prompt responses, I'll check out your recommendations.

Mark

Still looking for other Willmott books.

Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:55 am
by RayM
Wilmott's books are great but they are hard to find. I discovered H.P. Wilmott's two book series (?) (The Barrier and the Javelin and Empires in the Balance) last year and lucked out finding a hard copy of each after some serious book searches. Naturally, after finishing them, I wondered whether or not follow-on volumes would appear. Any idea?

Ray

Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 1:36 pm
by LargeSlowTarget
For an overview I would recommend the one-volume 'Eagle against the Sun' by Ronald Spector. For USN details see S.E. Morison, there is the 15 vol. series and a condensed monograph called 'The Two-ocean War'. On the US Army there is the 'Green Book' series with several volumes on the PTO, e.g. 'The Return to the Philippines'. Detailed but also somewhat dated. I think I have seen it (or at least a few volumes) for pdf download as well.

Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 1:46 pm
by Zakhal
ww2 plus 55

Daily description of happenings starting 15.nov 1941. Very detailed descriptions (i.e midway) and from both sides. Excellent read. Also free.

Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:25 pm
by Apollo11
Hi all,
LargeSlowTarget wrote: For an overview I would recommend the'Eagle against the Sun' by Ronald Spector.
I just read that book (two weeks ago).

Now I am reading "The Reluctant Admiral: Yamamoto and the Imperial Navy" by
Hiroyuki Agawa.


All those nice books curtsey of my friend Oleg (he is also here).


Leo "Apollo11"


P.S.
When I was younger I didn't like reading before sleeping much but now I find
that this is the only way to read anything at all because of all other things
happening in RealLife (tm)...

Morrison series..

Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:57 pm
by Da Hammer
The Morrison series was great. I read the whole series and have a great appreciatiion of the naval side of WW2. It is fifteen volumes and took me a while to read. . If anybody wants the series, make me an offer.