Air Attacks on ships in port.
Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:30 am
The Japanese have a number of capital ships with over 50% damage anchored at Shortland, along with lots of juicey AP. Many are anchored, while there are also several small transport convoys there. Shortland has poor aircover and average AA, so seems the perfectly place to wage a major air offensive to clear out this shiping, despite the Rabaul Betty's.
A few raids with 100 SBD's would really clear the place out, however I simply can't get such attacks to occur. When I have my aircraft set for Naval Attack, they bomb the convoys around Shortland and leave the anchored ships untouched, and when I have them set for Port Attack they predominantly attack the facilities, with maybe a DD or AP bombed.
Attacking ships, especially warships, required AP bombs, the bigger the better. Attacking port facilities including warehouses required HE bombs, usually 100-250 kg. Thus, each type of attack requires a different load-out, but it seems that an AP attack on anchored ships is not in the game. I don't think the Japs were aware of this at Pearl Harbour.
I would appreciate any advice on how to attack anchored ships in port.
A few raids with 100 SBD's would really clear the place out, however I simply can't get such attacks to occur. When I have my aircraft set for Naval Attack, they bomb the convoys around Shortland and leave the anchored ships untouched, and when I have them set for Port Attack they predominantly attack the facilities, with maybe a DD or AP bombed.
Attacking ships, especially warships, required AP bombs, the bigger the better. Attacking port facilities including warehouses required HE bombs, usually 100-250 kg. Thus, each type of attack requires a different load-out, but it seems that an AP attack on anchored ships is not in the game. I don't think the Japs were aware of this at Pearl Harbour.
I would appreciate any advice on how to attack anchored ships in port.