Page 1 of 1

Westfalen - a turn-based multiplayer strategy

Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:31 pm
by Kharan
Westfalen is a somewhat EU-inspired turn-based strategy game in which 19 European nations battle for power. Each turn is downloaded from the server. Usually the speed is about 3 turns per week. The game is simple and easy to learn, with only three troop types (infantry, cavalry and cannon) and no building or trade. However, I've found it very addictive despite, or maybe because of that.

Image

A turn takes about 5-15 minutes to complete (of course depends on how much time you spend on diplomacy :)), and you can give the orders whenever you wish, just as long as you upload them to the server before the next round. There is an ingame messaging system, and an irc channel #westfalen on ircnet.

There are 65 registered players and 3 ongoing games right now. A new game starts as soon as all the nations have players. If a player drops out of the game, AI takes his place. The game is freeware, and can be downloaded from www.westfalengame.com .

Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:47 pm
by Marc von Martial
Ha, I´m a Westfale by birth. Gotta check it out ;)

Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 2:48 pm
by Frank W.
Marc Schwanebeck wrote:Ha, I´m a Westfale by birth. Gotta check it out ;)
me, too.

the game seems interesting, but there is no westfalen.

mhh.. i thought it would be soemthing like bonn fighting against
siegen or köln vs. d´dorf. :D

Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 2:13 pm
by Kharan
To clear the confusion about the name... It comes from what in Finnish is called the Treaty of Westfalen, which I think is the Treaty of Westphalia in English.

Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 2:54 pm
by Frank W.
yep. now i know what is meant.

the " westfälische friede " end of the
30 years war !

fine, i still have some history knowledge
left :)

Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 4:55 pm
by Marc von Martial
Signed in Münster Image Image

Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 12:07 am
by Kharan
Game 8 starts as soon as 3 more players join it. By the way, to start playing, you need to join to a game after registering. Join to a new game from the "server"-menu and select your preferred nations. The server will send out emails when the game is beginning. It's possible to join and play in more than one game simultaneously.

Personally I'm playing Spain in WF5, the first "real" game after beta testing was completed. It's been 5 months after England landed in Normandy and my armies crossed the Pyrenees. I landed some 15 000 at La Rochelle and succesfully combined the bridgeheads. England and I are about to take Paris, our combined troops numbering about 70 000 men against a pitiful 30 000.

There are some French armies returning from the Netherlands, but they shouldn't pose much of a problem. Saxony, France's ally, hasn't interfered yet. England already declared war on Saxony, but I'll have to consider the options after France is conquered. I'll probably build another fleet in the Mediterranean (Spain has cheaper ships than other nations). My incomes are already greater than any other nation's (thanks to my recently acquired provinces in Portugal), but in strategic sense it wouldn't be sensible to cross too far into Central Europe yet. Too many potential enemies, erm, neighbours :).

An Idea

Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 7:53 am
by siRkid
I would like to see something like this done for WitP. Instead of contires you would sign up for a HQ. Just a passing thought. :)

Thanks

Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 11:00 pm
by ravinhood
Thanks for the link, I just signed up, now the long wait until accepted. Any comments on the "balance" issues of this game? After looking at the "costs" of units for the countries, what balances out the lower costs vs the higher costs nations?

Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 12:37 am
by Twotribes
Game 8 Started, I just did my turn as France. Cant believe I didnt get my first choice, umm that country between Ottaman empire and Russia. Crimea.

Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 4:33 am
by BrubakerII
Marc/Frank - Westphalia rocks!

On a stay in Paderborn we went up to the Wewelsburg Castle (as one does) and got there at a time when there seemed to be no one about. We pretty much explored the 80% of the castle that is not 'locked' from the public without a soul interupting us. We then did a scout around the moat (orchard) etc and when we came around past the north tower to the area below the old stables, there was a place in the wall that vandals of some sort (ww2?) had knocked a hole in. Using a cigarette lighter for light I climbed part way into the hole and saw what appeared to be tiles like a bathroom or similar on the other side. It was clearly not used anymore what ever the room was. Ever since then I have had dreams of discovering closets of old uniforms and weapon caches in there if I had kept going. Smuggling an MP40 back to Australia etc :rolleyes:

Truth is I would have likely only have found some used needles and a few grubby pornos. :( Still, it doesn't hurt to dream :)

Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 5:26 pm
by Frank W.
BrubakerII wrote:Marc/Frank - Westphalia rocks!

On a stay in Paderborn we went up to the Wewelsburg Castle (as one does) and got there at a time when there seemed to be no one about. We pretty much explored the 80% of the castle that is not 'locked' from the public without a soul interupting us. We then did a scout around the moat (orchard) etc and when we came around past the north tower to the area below the old stables, there was a place in the wall that vandals of some sort (ww2?) had knocked a hole in. Using a cigarette lighter for light I climbed part way into the hole and saw what appeared to be tiles like a bathroom or similar on the other side. It was clearly not used anymore what ever the room was. Ever since then I have had dreams of discovering closets of old uniforms and weapon caches in there if I had kept going. Smuggling an MP40 back to Australia etc :rolleyes:

Truth is I would have likely only have found some used needles and a few grubby pornos. :( Still, it doesn't hurt to dream :)
yep. interesting place.

i visited the area last summer, too.

here pics from the wewelsburg
( and other german castles )

http://www.burgen-und-schloesser.net/027/home.htm

Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 10:51 pm
by Kharan
The costs are mostly balanced in themselves, with a little historical tendencies taken into account. Btw, there was a problem with the server, and all clients need to be updated to 1.15+ so that they have the correct ip address.

Wf9 just started, and there's 15 available nations in wf10.