Page 1 of 2

Great map contest 2003

Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:53 pm
by Fradar
Did I miss something ? No trace of this great contest. Is it dead and renamed "the Great Map Contest : the real Fiasco, second edition" ?

Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 9:04 pm
by M4Jess
Its dead

Dead ?

Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 8:51 pm
by DoubleDeuce
What happenend? :(

I was hoping it would lead to a supply of quality maps for us aspiring scenario designers. I am also working on an elimination style tournament for WarfareHQ and was hoping to find some map designers who would be willing to contribute some of their work. I know how to make maps myself BUT there is the issue of "quality" :rolleyes:

Was there many mpas submitted? What do you guys who were involved think it would take to get it moving again? :confused:

Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 10:03 pm
by Voriax
Well, I was supposed to be one judge and I am still quite willing to rank the maps. I still have the first 15 maps. But it was my impression that more were coming as the deadline was moved 2-3 times..then I think Jess had comp problems? I seem to recall him requesting some map designers to resend maps.

I haven't really looked at the maps as I wanted to have *all* participating maps and I wanted to rank all maps in a given class at the same time. Unless there is opposition or other plans I can rank those 15 maps but the result would be just my personal opinion.

Voriax

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 10:20 am
by DoubleDeuce
Voriax wrote:I wanted to rank all maps in a given class at the same time. Unless there is opposition or other plans I can rank those 15 maps but the result would be just my personal opinion.
How were you looking to classify them? By size (small, Large, etc) or by type (Summer, Jungle,etc). Did anyone mention a scoring system? I was thinking all judges could assign a grade scale of 1-5 for each map. Then we take the average points for each map and the highest is the winner.

My main reason for asking was to get them up for download and use by other players. If the contest part is not a real issue I would like to get them for posting (with the owner's permissions of course).

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 10:44 am
by Voriax
Hmm..looks like the original thread got deleted..at least search didn't come up with it. Anyways, the maps were sorted in 5 or so categories (urban/woodland/etc). Also the scoring system was bit more complex than 1-5, 3 point categories max being 75 points.

Voriax

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:44 pm
by Tombstone
I remember resending maps and everything, but I think there were computer problems and M4 didn't have enough judges or something? The maps in the first batch of 15 were pretty cool, I always wanted to see the other maps.

Tomo

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:50 pm
by M4Jess
Hi all, yes I fouled the whole thing up :( All the maps that where posted are part H2Hfr. I lost all the maps and the designers names when I had the big computer blow up 6 months ago...and almost all the judges bailed on me...

after my 2nd attempt in 2 years I think someone else should run a new contest if we even hold one...

Sorry for my part "the Great Map Contest : the real Fiasco, second edition"

I would love to see another one!

If anyone does not have the maps I will be happy to mail them to you...just drop me a line.

Jess

Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 12:03 am
by DoubleDeuce
M4 Jess wrote:I would love to see another one!
I would like to do one for WarfareHQ. We have a whole download section dedicated to maps. Maybe we should just start fresh and if the original owners want to resubmit their maps from the 1st contest they can?

Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 12:10 am
by M4Jess
Double Deuce wrote:I would like to do one for WarfareHQ. We have a whole download section dedicated to maps. Maybe we should just start fresh and if the original owners want to resubmit their maps from the 1st contest they can?
I likey! :)

Great Map Contest 2003 - Redo

Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 8:41 am
by DoubleDeuce
OK. I have an idea but I need to know something first.

Are the differences in SPWAW and H2H enough to cause problems (missing or wrong graphics) if a map is created in one version but loaded into the other? I want to have just 4 categories of map (SPWAW and H2H combined) and not 4 categories for SPWAW and 4 for H2H.

OK! Lets just do it !

Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 10:49 am
by DoubleDeuce
We are officially opening up a SPWAW map contest at WarfareHQ. The winning map in each category will be used in an upcoming elmination style tournament I am designing for SPWAW (either 8.0 or H2H).

Maps must be submitted to Double Deuce no later than midnight, November 30th, 2003.

Maps can be created in either SPWAW or SPWAWH2H. Maps can be city, jungle, desert, etc and can be historical or non-historical. You can Mountainize, Smoke Machine, and even Mud Machine them using Ectizen's Scenario Designer's Quickies - 2nd Beta. Maps will be categorized by total playing area (total # of hexes). To determine the map size use the following formula (Width * Height = Total Hexes). This total # of hexes determines what category the map will be grouped into.

The 4 categories will be;

SMALL < 4000 total hexes (i.e. 100x40).
MEDIUM < 6000 total hexes (i.e. 100x60).
LARGE < 8000 total hexes (i.e. 100x80).
GIANT > 8000 total hexes (i.e. 100x81).

A panel of judges will be selected by Double Deuce from WarfareHQ SPWAW Ladder Members who have NOT submitted any maps for the contest. Judging will commence shortly after the submission period ends. Each judge will score every map on a scale of 1-10. The map with the highest average score in each category wins. Maps will be posted to the WarfareHQ Download Section once all judging has been completed for general SPWAW community enjoyment.

In addition, I will keep everyone here updated with our progress. So all you map making gurus out there - get crackin :D

Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 11:52 am
by M4Jess
DD!

where do we send the maps to?

Jess

Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 12:13 pm
by DoubleDeuce
M4 Jess wrote:where do we send the maps to?
Whoops! didn't have the link set up right. Fixed now!

Maps must be submitted to Double Deuce no later than midnight, November 30th, 2003.

Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 12:13 pm
by OKW-73
Maybe i should send one of my old maps there and see how its flamed :rolleyes:

Maps for SPWaW/H2H

Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 3:08 pm
by Fradar
Hello Double Deuce,
Thanks for reactivating a "new look" map contest. This a great idea that should please both players and map designers.
I will prepare a batch for you.
I design maps and like the work of others. It seems that there is always something new to discover in improving maps.
François "Fradar" Dargaud

Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 9:55 pm
by DoubleDeuce
Fradar wrote:Did I miss something ? No trace of this great contest.
It is now being hosted primarily from the Steel Panthers Section of the WarfareHQ Site. I will also keep the link here active as well. The criteria is found in the 1st post of the thread here. All that is posted right now is the critea with directions on how to submit them.

It can also be found near the beginning (1st page) of posts on this thread. I am working on a dedicted announcement page for WarfareHQ as well.

Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 10:00 pm
by DoubleDeuce
OKW-73 wrote:Maybe i should send one of my old maps there and see how its flamed :rolleyes:
Send them in! Old, new doesn't matter. I have seen the quality of maps this community puts out and it would be a shame to have them "lost" over time or buried in the forums somewhere. This is my main motivation behind the map contest and in getting a hold of all the great SPWAW Tools that have been out there. Some of the owners had them posted on their websites, then real life intervened, the websites went away and the files with them. Ectizen is a prime example. His utilities are a real treasure and all his links to them are pretty much gone now. Fortunately, many of you out there have sent me copies of these tools to be consolidated and posted for download.

Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 12:15 am
by OKW-73
Double Deuce wrote:Send them in! Old, new doesn't matter. I have seen the quality of maps this community puts out and it would be a shame to have them "lost" over time or buried in the forums somewhere. This is my main motivation behind the map contest and in getting a hold of all the great SPWAW Tools that have been out there. Some of the owners had them posted on their websites, then real life intervened, the websites went away and the files with them. Ectizen is a prime example. His utilities are a real treasure and all his links to them are pretty much gone now. Fortunately, many of you out there have sent me copies of these tools to be consolidated and posted for download.
Yes, if you check your mailbox there should be one map from me called Y-River ;) that map can be also found in my homepages spwaw section if anyone interested, yes its old so some of you might already know it but i always liked that map and tought its best map i made, so whatta hell why not hear what other people think about it ;)

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:13 pm
by DoubleDeuce
OKW-73 wrote:Yes, if you check your mailbox there should be one map from me called Y-River ;)
Got it.

If anyone has maps they submitted for the original contest please send them to me. This way I know you are still active on the boards here and wish participate.