Page 1 of 1

SPWAW RUNNER UP in PC GAMER AWARDS!

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2001 3:53 am
by Joe Osborne
Folks,

Just got my copy of PC Gamer and low and behold SPWAW was honored as a runner up for "Best Turn Based Strategy Game of The Year"! Pretty darn cool!


Regards,

Joe Osborne

[This message has been edited by Joe Osborne (edited February 10, 2001).]

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2001 4:02 am
by Bing
Yes, really nice recognition. Did you notice that the screen shot is form another game? Not sure which one, but it most certainly is not SPWAW.

Bing

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2001 4:29 am
by Alby
Originally posted by Joe Osborne:
Folks,

Just got my copy of PC Gamer and low and behold SPWAW was honored as a runner up for "Best Turn Based Strategy Game of The Year"! Pretty darn cool!


Regards,

Joe Osborne


[This message has been edited by Joe Osborne (edited February 10, 2001).]
Geez what game won??? It has to be a killer!!



[This message has been edited by Alby (edited February 10, 2001).]

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2001 5:01 am
by Joe Osborne
Winning game was Combat Mission....I did notice the screenshot was from another game...think it was from one of the Panzer General games.


Joe O.

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2001 5:02 am
by Joe Osborne
Winning game was Combat Mission....I did notice the screenshot was from another game...think it was from one of the Panzer General games.


Joe O.

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2001 8:05 am
by mogami
Hi....We want a recount the ballots were too hard to decipher....I did not get to vote....Combat Mission was handing out cigarettes and beer to homeless grognards...

------------------
I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a differant direction!

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2001 11:56 am
by Pack Rat
Originally posted by Joe Osborne:
Winning game was Combat Mission

Joe O.
Combat Who? Who cares. I've got my SPWaW and it keeps getting better. I'll bet Combat Mission is as static as last years Kentucky Derby. Image

------------------
PR
http://electricwar.tripod.com/

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2001 2:46 pm
by Reg
Coming a close second against a full time company collecting mega bucks for their products is a far greater achievement as far as I am concerned. (Lets them see how well they would do under your circumstances).

Congratulations Guys!!! Image Image Image

Reg.

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2001 7:11 pm
by Alby
Originally posted by Joe Osborne:
Winning game was Combat Mission....I did notice the screenshot was from another game...think it was from one of the Panzer General games.


Joe O.
Ha! I tried combat mission and SPWAW has it beat by a long shot!!
We must demand a recount!!! :-)


Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2001 7:46 pm
by Mark Ezra
Combat Mission is produced by Big Time Software...2 guys who love wargaming. They deserve the 1st place finish for their excellent, ground breaking game. I couldn't be more pleased with SPWAW and getting the runner up slot is just great. Companies like Matrix and BTS need our support. These small publishers design for you and I. That they have placed so well is little short of a miracle. So my harty congradulations to both for their outstanding games.

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2001 8:43 pm
by Wallymanowar
Hey!

They didn't count the absentee or foreign ballots!

Why does only Florida get to vote?

Let's settle this the good old fashioned American way - In the Courts!!

Well done Matrix.

Image Image Image Image Image

"Not so Bitter" Mike

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2001 10:23 pm
by troopie
Considering this was Best 'Turn Based Strategy' and not Best 'Wargame' There was NO 'Best Wargame' category this year. SPWAW ought to have been thankful to have been mentioned at all. It looks like the future of wargaming is with 2 guys who love wargaming like Big Time, or the blokes at Matrix who made the Steel Panthers version they always wanted and called it SPWAW.

troopie

------------------
Pamwe Chete

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2001 10:30 pm
by Tankhead
Maybe next year we will be first. Image
This year Matrix didn't have enough money to pay PC Gamers for SPWAW to come first. Image
Way to go Matrix it gets better all the time.

Image

Tankhead

------------------
Rick Cloutier rcclout@telusplanet.net
Coordinator: Tankhead's SPWAW Resources
http://members.tripod.com/tankhead__1

Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2001 12:11 am
by Drex
I have Combat Mission and haven't played it since I don't know when. I am going to remove it from my desktop.

Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2001 1:38 am
by David Heath
Combat Mission is a great game.

Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2001 2:17 am
by USMCGrunt
I think this is a tough call on my part. I play both SPWAW and Combat Mission, and they're both GREAT games.

SPWAW is still the one I spend the most time with, and that goes for the whole SP series. What can I say, the series has one heck of a track record with me.

CM is the new kid on the block, but it has a lot going for it. (Heck, even Wild Bill and the Raiders have a section on their site about it.) It's a whole new ball game, and you really have think your tactics out in advance.

I have to say I like both games equally well. Just for different reasons with each. Sorry if this shocks or offends, but I call them as I see them, and to a Marine, integrity is everything.

------------------
USMCGrunt

-When it absolutely, positively, has to be destroyed overnight.

Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2001 4:06 am
by Joe Osborne
Folks,

The reason for my posting wasn't to cry "foul" ...I'm really excited we finished as a runner up!

It's no surprise to me that CM won ..it's a truly great game. The other runner up was 1776 from HPS.

I'm REALLY proud we beat everyone else! Image

Considering we received this kind of attention with a reprogramming of an old game...I can hardly wait to see what will happen when we fully produce our own game!

Onward and upward!


Joe Osborne

Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2001 9:52 pm
by Windo von Paene
Wow, I'm impressed. Congrats to Matrix for that one!

I think it is great that two "minor" players in the PC gaming world could rack up this kind of success. I'm still waiting for BTS to get CM back in stock, but I've been playing the demo to death, and think it's a pretty cool system. A very different beast than SPWAW, but I expect that I'll be playing both for a long time.

Let's all be thankful that Close Combat, Squad Leader and C&C Red Alert didn't get this award...

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2001 11:39 am
by Warrior
You can't compare apples and oranges. SPWaW AND Combat Mission are both great games. I happen to like SPWaW better.

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2001 9:37 pm
by O de B
Yep, both are great...
But now with each SPWaW improvement i
play CM a little less (very little)... almost each shot that goes through is a kill at CM. And no way to recrew abandoned guns/tanks at CM. That's my major concern about it, not a big one you see Image
Matrix team has improved SP with so many details that i sometimes can't bare they are not in all other games Image