Page 1 of 1

NEW ARMY Commercial

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2001 12:33 am
by GeneralOberst Teufel
Any one have a comment on the new ARMY of ONE Commercial!!!

As Retired US ARMY I have taken particular offense.

The commercial shows a soldier running away from battle with no rank on his headgear, ID Tags swinging in the wind, no protective mask, no weapon, no uniform shirt showing rank or unit insignia ( I guess this is for when he surrenders or is captured they might not know who he is?? )

If you watch the commercial it shows him retreating the opposite direction soldiers with weapons, Bradleys, Helecopters all fully loaded and traveling toward battle.

My 13 year old son picked it up the first time he saw the commercial he said "Dad look at that coward, he is running away from the battle, all the other soldiers are going in the opposite direction with weapons, what a Wimp"

His comment floored me, I just had to watch the next time it came on TV and he was right... a 13 year old... Hmmmm

I did a little further research, I live right by Ft. Knox KY my wife works for the US Army Recruiting command, they are also pissed off. The commercial was the Brain child of the outgoing Clinton Admin Army Chief of Staff. No consoltation with the US Army Recruiting command.. Now the US Army Recruiting command is having to spend Millions of our Tax $$ to re-promote Teamwork in upcomming ads to turn around the perception of Cowardice under fire..

I spoke to several NCO's at FT Knox. they are Pissed off Big Time... after all the years of promoting teamwork the US Army shows "ARMY OF ONE" a 180 degree turnaround from what the army is all about...

I am not going to tell you what the USMC Gunny SGT's told me (they were laughing to hard..)

I had one SFC tell me to have the Old Army Chief of Staff to bring his little Coward/Deserter from the commercial and meet him and a squad of Rangers at FT Irwin to see who would win. Team work or Army of One...

he said at least he would give his soldiers weapons....

GeneralOberst Teufel

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2001 1:10 am
by Ilja Varha
What did they try to sell with that commercial? Or what was it about? Only a man running away from battle?

Just curious...

Ilja

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2001 1:48 am
by Grumble
Ilja,
It's a new US Army recruiting commercial, designed to appeal to "Gen-Y", or at least that's what Madison Ave told the Department of the Army. Rather than point out that you learn life-skills like teamwork, discpline etc, they opted to emphasize individualism (surveys show that Gen-Y'ers believe the Army crushes individualism. A considerable exaggeration.)
"...the Brain child of the outgoing Clinton Admin Army Chief of Staff."
I think you meant "Secretary of the Army", as the COS is not a political appointee per se.

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2001 2:21 am
by Infanterie
Is there a way to see this commercial, is it possibly available somewhere in the net?

I'm curious too!

(Oi! I just turned to a vet... how nice Image)
------------------
"The bravery of being out of range..."

[This message has been edited by Infanterie (edited February 12, 2001).]