Page 1 of 2
Mega Campaign in SPWAW 5????
Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2001 6:50 am
by Phil
I've been reding on a couple of sites that the Mega-Campaign of old will be incorporated into SPWAW 5. Is this so? I had a subscription to the original Mega Campaign back a few years ago. I only wound up with 2 campaigns, but man what a kick in the pants they were!!
If it is true, any idea how they will be handled? Will we be able to create and edit our own or will they be generated...(Don't have the faintest idea how they could be generated but hey, what do I know!)
Well if anyone knows any more of this, could you enlighten me?
Phil
Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2001 7:08 am
by Don
See this post:
http://www.matrixgames.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/004065.html
That's about it for now.

Not much enlightening, but that's all you get!
Don
Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2001 8:37 am
by B52g
Your not the only former subscriber thats anticipating this, Phil! I too, cant wait for someone to "enlighten" me. And your right, there were two campaigns, I almost forgot about the modern campaign. Maybe this time I can finish what I started years ago.
Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2001 10:29 am
by Phil
Yes, it was only 2 campaigns. I thought the Huskey Campaign was just great. And you know that my computer crashed before I could finish the campaign. I went to reinstall it and the first disk was damaged! NovaStar sent me another. Unfortunately it was the wrong disk. As a result I never got to finish the last couple of battles.
Maybe I'll be able to finish it now. I remember looking forward to the Polish Campaign.
Oh well, guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2001 12:18 am
by skukko
Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2001 12:50 am
by Bonzo
Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2001 1:43 am
by David Heath
Ok here is some more information. We are in the middle of SPWaW v5.0. It will include a new and improved Mega Campaign. Two Mega Campaigns are in the works. One is being lead by Bill Wilder on the 1941 North Africa campagin and will have a follow up campagin into 1942. The other Mega Campaign is being lead by Brent Richards and will cover the Eastern Front in 1941 and will also have follow up mega campagins. We will be selling these mega campagins for $20.00 on a CD with a free copy of SPWaW v5.0. Many of you have been asking how you can support Matrix so we spent extra time and effort being back the Mega Campaign and adding some new game features. SPWaW v5.0 will of course still be a free download by itself. Some of the features we are working on are Close Assults and Overruns to name just a few of the new features we are working on.
David
Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2001 3:10 am
by xavier
OK, I will buy it.
Originally posted by David Heath:
Ok here is some more information. We are in the middle of SPWaW v5.0. It will include a new and improved Mega Campaign. Two Mega Campaigns are in the works. One is being lead by Bill Wilder on the 1941 North Africa campagin and will have a follow up campagin into 1942. The other Mega Campaign is being lead by Brent Richards and will cover the Eastern Front in 1941 and will also have follow up mega campagins. We will be selling these mega campagins for $20.00 on a CD with a free copy of SPWaW v5.0. Many of you have been asking how you can support Matrix so we spent extra time and effort being back the Mega Campaign and adding some new game features. SPWaW v5.0 will of course still be a free download by itself. Some of the features we are working on are Close Assults and Overruns to name just a few of the new features we are working on.
David
Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2001 3:10 am
by xavier
OK, I will buy it.
Originally posted by David Heath:
Ok here is some more information. We are in the middle of SPWaW v5.0. It will include a new and improved Mega Campaign. Two Mega Campaigns are in the works. One is being lead by Bill Wilder on the 1941 North Africa campagin and will have a follow up campagin into 1942. The other Mega Campaign is being lead by Brent Richards and will cover the Eastern Front in 1941 and will also have follow up mega campagins. We will be selling these mega campagins for $20.00 on a CD with a free copy of SPWaW v5.0. Many of you have been asking how you can support Matrix so we spent extra time and effort being back the Mega Campaign and adding some new game features. SPWaW v5.0 will of course still be a free download by itself. Some of the features we are working on are Close Assults and Overruns to name just a few of the new features we are working on.
David
Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2001 4:04 am
by Antonius
Never played the original mega campaign but it sounds very interesting.
It's good news too that there will be something we can buy to reward Matrix for the job done
I just hope you will be shipping overseas to exotic countries like France...
Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2001 4:06 am
by Panzer Capta
How soon can it be ordered? Are you taking advanced orders now?
Despite SPWaW being free, i will order the Mega-Campaign out of interest, and because i wish to give Matrix something in return for all they have given of themselves.
Thanks
Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2001 4:51 am
by Panzer Capta
Will the SPWaW Version 5 have all or most of the existing scenerios and campaings on it?
Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2001 4:53 am
by Charles22
David Heath: I think getting SPWAWV.5 will be worth the $20 alone, as I've been waiting to have the game on a cd backup. I thought I'd let those without much download capability to grab up the cds from the earlier versions.
I do have some questions though. I am wondering if these campaigns will be scripted scenarios that we are seeing here recently, or not. If so, then I wonder if there are plans to lengthen the turns a bit? It seems as though so many campaigns are focusing on only 20 turns and that doesn't seem to be enough to enable not only the possibility of dealing with the inherent mines, but also the possibility of flanking. It seems that with these campaigns of which I speak, that all I have time for is IF the enemy will come to me, I can then have time to clear at least some mines and them make a mad dash for the last objectives. I would suggest games that have mines to have at least 25-30 turns, as 20 often an exercise in getting smashed a lot more by mines than by the units proper.
Another thing. Will these campaigns have something larger than the 80 hex limit we still suffer from on the generated campigns? Thanks.
Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2001 5:08 am
by B52g
$20.00? Sounds good to me. I would like to contribute to the people who have given me so much for soo long.
Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2001 5:08 am
by Nixuebrig
Originally posted by David Heath:
Ok here is some more information. We are in the middle of SPWaW v5.0. It will include a new and improved Mega Campaign. Two Mega Campaigns are in the works. One is being lead by Bill Wilder on the 1941 North Africa campagin and will have a follow up campagin into 1942. The other Mega Campaign is being lead by Brent Richards and will cover the Eastern Front in 1941 and will also have follow up mega campagins. We will be selling these mega campagins for $20.00 on a CD with a free copy of SPWaW v5.0. Many of you have been asking how you can support Matrix so we spent extra time and effort being back the Mega Campaign and adding some new game features. SPWaW v5.0 will of course still be a free download by itself. Some of the features we are working on are Close Assults and Overruns to name just a few of the new features we are working on.
David
the 20$ dollars think will be worth it. But how do you ship it overseas to us Europeans? Got any clue for that or will I have to pay an additional 20$ for UPS shipment?
Banzai
Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2001 10:28 am
by USMCGrunt
$20.00 is a very small price to pay for all the hours of gaming SPWAW has given me. I've paid $50 for games that haven't stayed on my hard drive for a month, but I've had SPWAW on it solid since 4.1 came out. Count me in guys.
------------------
USMCGrunt
-When it absolutely, positively, has to be destroyed overnight.
Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2001 2:40 pm
by Steel Thunder
20$ sounds good to me but... How about us who doesn't have credit cards? (Yes, there are peoples without credit cards, especially in Europe) Will there be other way to buy these mega campaign cds?
Steel Thunder
[This message has been edited by Steel Thunder (edited February 14, 2001).]
Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2001 6:53 pm
by krull
When Where How much and how fast

cash Credit PRAYING. Well come on some info already Ive done waited 5 minutes HAHAHAHA. SHipping style UPS NEXT DAY AIR HELLO.
HAHAH I hate it when they do this to me. I get all excited . I hate waiting.

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2001 7:48 pm
by Larry Holt
Originally posted by Charles22:
...If so, then I wonder if there are plans to lengthen the turns a bit? It seems as though so many campaigns are focusing on only 20 turns and that doesn't seem to be enough to enable not only the possibility of dealing with the inherent mines, but also the possibility of flanking...
Another thing. Will these campaigns have something larger than the 80 hex limit we still suffer from on the generated campigns? Thanks.
Charles, I agree that the time and map size needs to be more for more opportunities to maneuver, etc. I'd prefer the game to come with both expanded but if it does not, the editors give us the ability to expand both of them.
------------------
An old soldier but not yet a faded one.
OK, maybe just a bit faded.
Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2001 11:25 pm
by Charles22
Larry Holt: I'm not confident that I could manage that. As a concept, the editing of something is sometimes a cop-out anyway. If one can just type over a default as in preferences and the campaigns maintain them throughout each battle, fair enough, but from what I've seen, particularly if we were talking about larger maps, such as I believe Warhorse uses for campaigns, he has to create the maps he uses, and then load each one seperately for each battle. That's way too much trouble for me (deploying 80-100 units takes long enough).
In any case, I would expect that it would be easy enough to expand the turns, but I've never seen such a concept with campaigns such as our current generated ones (which have a robust turn base anyway). I find it ironic that the maps that are generally the smallest, the generated ones, are the ones also with the most turns, while at least some of the opposite of that is true with user-designed campaigns to date.
I'm sure I'll purchase regardless, it's just that I wish that campaigns were designed more along the generated ones in duration. I don't mind the occassional 20 turn game, but every single battle?????? If 20 turns are sound for a meeting engagement, then how can an assault with mines, be also? I don't think commanders with any sense expect their troops to take the hill the enemy occupies, as quickly as they expect them to outrace the enemy who isn't there yet.
Some people, like me, suffer for those who love to play a battle so tough that it takes memorization to get it right, but I've never seen in RL where the same battle is fought twice. I definitely enjoy the occassional impossible mission, but don't enjoy having almost every assault mine-laden game turn out that way.