Page 1 of 2
Tutorial Project - Where We Are
Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2001 7:11 am
by Don
Here is a list of the tutorials that are complete:
Flanking (Don Llewellyn)
Artillery (Byron Inglesh)
Using Engineers (Redleg)
Clearing Mines (William Rusco)
Clearing Bunkers (William Rusco)
Mines and Bunkers – against enemy troops and tanks (Don Llewellyn)
Using a Tiger (Fabio Prado)
Attacking a Tiger (Fabio Prado)
Tutorials being made:
Use of Recon (Tankhead)
Advanced Artillery (Byron Inglesh)
Op-Fire (Brent Richards)
Beach Landing against Caves (Bob Wallace)
If you would like any of these tutorials, or would like to do a tutorial on a subject not listed here, just email me. These will be included in the V5.0 SPWAW release, and so I’m trying to get as many done as I can before they have to be turned in.
Thank you to all of the guys who have contributed their time and knowledge to this project!
Don
egcwman@mindspring.com
Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2001 8:20 am
by USMCGrunt
Don,
That's a very complete list of topics covered, and I look forward to using them when they become available. (It never hurts to pollish old skills or learn new tricks.) One tutorial you may want to add to the list, is "How NOT to go utterly insane playing a Wild Bill scenario". Sorry... Had to have encouragement and humor in the post. Keep up the great work.
------------------
USMCGrunt
-When it absolutely, positively, has to be destroyed overnight.
Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2001 8:50 am
by Possum
Hello.
Is the art of setting up an AT-Gun ambush, using reverse slopes & supporting/Interlocking fire zones been/being covered?
Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2001 10:03 am
by USMCGrunt
One tutorial you may want to think about is how to use the various types of terrain to you advantage. Such as keeping vehicles in woods or troops in buildings and rocky terrain rather than just storming through open country. Just a thought.
------------------
USMCGrunt
-When it absolutely, positively, has to be destroyed overnight.
Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2001 10:56 am
by Don
Hi Guys!
Possum, those things have not been covered - they are great subjects!
Grunt, I finally learned how to take advantage of WB's "dirty tricks" - I became a playtester for him, learned alot of those things and inflict them on others!

Makes me feel better, anyway!
Now the topics you bring up are very interesting - the more so since I just got a fantastic book called "Panzertaktik", which covers all phases, and I mean ALL phases, of using a tank. There are sections devoted to just what you are talking about - such as not leaving a tree line to see what's in the other tree line. Stay IN your tree line and observe! Once I learn more about these things I'll see what I can do about making tutorials on them.
Thanks for the great ideas!
------------------
Don
Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2001 11:10 am
by Warrior
HEY! Don't teach all the tricks and techniques! A lot of my fun (and frustration) was learning the game from experience, having to paw through the manual, and begging for help in the Forum. Just lucky it's only a game or I'd be dead about a zillion times over!
Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2001 12:08 pm
by Don
Well Steve, I think that's what inspired this whole thing - one of the very first scenarios I played was "Brave Men at Betio" and oh what a slaughter, except I was the slaughteree!
Plus if I can get guys to make tutorials then I can finally learn some things I never have!
------------------
Don
Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2001 1:48 pm
by Reg
Another suggestion....
The basic Command and Control rules that most of the newbies seem to have trouble getting a grasp on.
Reg.
Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2001 2:09 pm
by Fredde
C&C should definitely get a tutorial. It's a great option, which way too few use in my opinion. Once you get the hang of it you can play the game just as usual, but a different flow to it which i like very much.. units and positions matters, and you actually get an advantage for keeping your formations together.
Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2001 2:57 pm
by Don
I was waiting for someone to mention the big one, C&C! I talked to Joe Osborne, who is also putting together a tutorial program for Combat Command. I said that I needed a tutorial on this subject, and he has one being made by Gurney Halleck (who I was going to ask). We will share tutorials, so there will be one on that subject. Don't you love it?
Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2001 3:09 pm
by Thornado
Will you post these tutorials on some website too? I'm quite interested but I don't want to put you through mailing them... ANd I think it could be nice to have them available trough some other way than v. 5.0 (although I will dl it)
------------------
Thornado
- You'll never know what hit you -
[This message has been edited by Thornado (edited February 15, 2001).]
Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2001 3:12 pm
by Don
I'm trying to work that out now, Thornado. They will be included in 5.0, and I hope to get them posted fairly soon, and eventually to a few sites. If you'd like a couple of them email me and I'll send them to you.

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2001 5:01 pm
by skukko
Does any of these tutorials say how to protect convoy of trucks from Air-attacks? Atleast what I know trains had dummy-cars before engine, to get mines blowed. This works for air attacks as well, IE: put empty trucks at front of the convoy and AI chooses them to major target, if you are lucky infantry survives from shrapnels when first trucks explode...
mosh
Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2001 9:00 pm
by lynchc
I think a tutorial on combined arms tactics is a must also. The art of using infantry, tanks, artillery, and air support, as well as special purpose forces all together in a beautiful symphony of destruction is a true thing of beauty.
Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2001 12:26 am
by Don
You guys come up with some great ideas! Mosh, I never even thought about that subject! I'm writing it down, too!
lynchc, I touched on that, I think with the tutorial I just made (Mines and Bunkers – against enemy troops and tanks) where I tried to duplicate a typical AI campaign "defend" set-up - mines wall-to-wall, with entrenched infantry and tanks behing them, and a few bunkers thrown in. The player uses engineers, rifle squads, tanks, artillery and some lovely P-51's to defeat this, and should take very few losses if done correctly (he has PLENTY of weapons!). I will be interested to hear if the players think this one covers "combined arms tactics" or not - if not we can see about making another.
------------------
Don
Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2001 12:32 am
by skukko
Don: Never thought that? Ok be welcome. I would have 20mmflaks at the next trucks too, atleast at western fronts...
I think no combined arms is nesessry, as after reading thése tutorials all guys should have intuitive overall picture of what is combined arms. I have learned hard way: Played lots of pbem.
mosh
Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2001 3:36 am
by Viriato
Hello All , maybe someone could do a tuturial on using airsupport , I know this may sound stuppid but in the beggening i had my share of planes blown out of the sky because of stupidity ( mine of course ) ...
I say this because armour and infantry don't ride alone ( In the days following D-day if it weren't for those flyboys the allied troops would have had a really bad day ... )
------------------
A sorte protege os audazes
Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2001 12:36 am
by Drex
i put in my vote for a tutorial on C&C.Even though I've been playing for a while,98% has been with C&C off so I still don't feel comfortable playing it. I could use some pointers, basic and advanced.
Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2001 2:05 am
by Don
I'll have to check with Joe Osborne and see if the C&C tutorial has been made yet. Maybe then I can start using it!
------------------
Don
Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2001 2:12 pm
by Kokoda
I hope you'll accept a contribution or two from an antipodean newcomer. One of the difficult areas I've found is the varying tactics required in different terrain and weather situations. Force balance for a city assault in poor visibility is very different from a clear desert day.
One approach that may help your readers could be a specific example of the application of the tactics and force distribution in one of the scenarios. I appreciate from the posts to this forum that post-battle reports are discussed, but it might be useful for we neophytes to tie advice to concrete examples...
eg "Scenario x shows the importance of reverse slopes in defensive situations. Hills at 45,22 and 56,13 are good candidates for a defensive line"
or "Scenario y illustrates the value of using a large flanking force. Note that the direct line of approach contains difficult terrain and a potential engagement zone ( 'kill zones' are passe doctrine apparently) in the valley from a,b to x,y."