Page 1 of 1

Superman capabilities of Soviet Guard units

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2001 1:36 am
by Iron Cross
A question for all,

Has anyone else fought against Soviet Guards infantry units and been absolutely slaughtered? I have now played two separate scenarios against these units in urban combat and have been amazed at their abilities to make Superman look like a wimp. Please don't get me wrong, I love the scenarios and I am extremely experienced in urban warfare on the Eastern Front. I just believe that a Guards infantry unit, although good, would not be able to have the following capabilities:
- not be seen until any unit (including recon/scouts) is one hex away.
- stand firm after 6 long range attacks, then endure 3 German engineer attacks with flamethrowers and satchel charges.
- fire 11 times (thats right - 11!!!) in one turn, killing 25 Germans in one turn, although suffering 6 casualties to the previous attacks and then sit in the destroyed building in the fire and refuse to retreat.
- resist until the last man, who fires two separate weapons and kills 3 more German engineers before dying.

I believe in realism, as well as the occasional Hero of the Soviet Union, but the Guards units I have fought are the equivalent of heavily armed Bushido warriors. Just a rant from someone amazed that the entire Russian resistance in both scenarios were Christopher Reeves relatives!!!!

Writing letters home for my fallen men,
Iron Cross

P.S. - My units have forgiven me, especially since our refitting period takes them back to Germany for a while.

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2001 1:57 am
by Windo von Paene
Well those bad boys ARE some of my favorite russian units no doubt. However I have not seen quite the indestructibility that you mention.

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2001 2:25 am
by skukko
As Axis tank kommander I know your consern, what year are you playing -43 to ? They are not supermens, they just got some lucky days afetr sitting in the house few days and only food has been vodka Image

Sometimes men at scenarios are edited to be more than average player can tolerate...

mosh

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2001 2:55 am
by Charles22
Iron Cross: Your men have forgiven you, but will the Fuhrer?

Writing a letter to your family
Charles22

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2001 3:11 am
by B52g
I have seen the 11 shots in one turn, it was in the opportunity fire for the AI. Those guards can be beaten, I had to beat my head on a wall for a while before I got the tactics right, though.
I am vicious when I run into them, I will stop everything to hunt down a reteating guards unit and kill them before they can rally.
I agree with Stukko, you give those guards some vodka and they are good for another 5 turns. Image