Page 1 of 1
questions about Bettys and damaged subs
Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:05 am
by pertsajakilu
Hi!
What happens to subs which are damaged. I rememeber that in earlier versions of pacwar damaged sub was showed when looking sub data. What happens now? When looking my sub groups I don't see damaged sub even when I get report.
Wondering Bettys..eeeh...wandering Bettys. Some times Betty squadrons ( because of their long range ) get a wind of overconfidence and decide to attack as far as possible and of course choose a base where are lots of fighters and get slaughtered. Those partols are in anti sub work and sometimes they do those little forays. Any easy cure? I suppose I have to put some air target for them. it's a small wonder how they seem to able to choose just that base what has good figher cover.
[:o]
Pertsajailu
RE: questions about Bettys and damaged subs
Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:14 am
by boba
I think that has something to do with HQs air leader and his air and aggressivnes raitings. My guess is that good air leaders choose to attack strong enemy air bases trying to make them not so strong [;)] but AI doesn't check for escorts and enemy opposition. I also hate when something like that happens and what is even more frustrating is when 150 Bettys attack enemy TF, about 2/3 get shot down by AA and the rest of them can't even score one hit (seen this more than once [:@] ). But, this is a very old game and I'm still amazed how much it was complex, realistic and fun to play it is nowadays...
ORIGINAL: pertsajakilu
Wondering Bettys..eeeh...wandering Bettys. Some times Betty squadrons ( because of their long range ) get a wind of overconfidence and decide to attack as far as possible and of course choose a base where are lots of fighters and get slaughtered. Those partols are in anti sub work and sometimes they do those little forays. Any easy cure? I suppose I have to put some air target for them. it's a small wonder how they seem to able to choose just that base what has good figher cover.
[:o]
Pertsajailu
RE: questions about Bettys and damaged subs
Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:56 pm
by pertsajakilu
ORIGINAL: boba
I think that has something to do with HQs air leader and his air and aggressivnes raitings. My guess is that good air leaders choose to attack strong enemy air bases trying to make them not so strong [;)] but AI doesn't check for escorts and enemy opposition. I also hate when something like that happens and what is even more frustrating is when 150 Bettys attack enemy TF, about 2/3 get shot down by AA and the rest of them can't even score one hit (seen this more than once [:@] ). But, this is a very old game and I'm still amazed how much it was complex, realistic and fun to play it is nowadays...
I lost "only" 30 Bettys yesterday because they decided to attack against CV TF without escorts. Bah...even with escorts it hardly matters. And couple another squadrons made deep strikes into China. Sometimes I wish that range of Bettys would be shorter.
But You are right it is amazing game and fun.
Pertsajakilu
RE: questions about Bettys and damaged subs
Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:30 pm
by Capt. Harlock
IMHO, the AI "cheats" and has a good idea of what is at the enemy bases within range. Gary Grigsby made sure the local base commander could override his orders if high value targets could be attacked. If the bombers are going after airfields, they will pick the airfield where the most enemy planes are to be found. Whether or not those planes are CAP fighters...
One other point is that factories seem to be rated as very high value targets by the game. If there is an enemy base with a factory within range, it's very difficult to get your bombers to attack anything else!