Page 1 of 1
What meant *** and . in hit damage.
Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:54 pm
by pertsajakilu
It's me again. What meant * and . when ship is hit? I couldn't find it anywhere. Perhaps it was in pwhints, but I don't have it right now.
Pertsajakilu
RE: What meant *** and . in hit damage.
Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:22 pm
by LargeSlowTarget
That's something you want to see happening with enemy ships, but not with your own. The asterisks (*) are an indicator for the damage done by a warhead that penetrated the ship's armor. It's PW's way to tell you that the hit touched off a magazine or ignited a fuel tank. One * is about 20 damage points, so if you see '*****' that means that the ship is done for. Once I had a reverse-Midway type carrier engagement when each of my Yorktown class CVs was hit a by a single torpedo each. Three times I saw the dreaded '*****' and three CVs were gone... [X(][&:][:@][:@][:@]
EDIT: I forgot about the '.' - haven't seen this for a while. Maybe it indicates minor damage?
RE: The '.'
Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:56 pm
by CynicAl
I think the '.' is just punctuation, and has no Secret Game Meaning at all; it seems to always come up for the last weapon each ship fires, regardless of whether it hits or how much damage is done.
RE: What meant *** and . in hit damage.
Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:15 pm
by pertsajakilu
ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget
That's something you want to see happening with enemy ships, but not with your own. The asterisks (*) are an indicator for the damage done by a warhead that penetrated the ship's armor. It's PW's way to tell you that the hit touched off a magazine or ignited a fuel tank. One * is about 20 damage points,
Yikes....20 points.

I rememered that more it's like extra damage but 20 points..huh. Doh...if it happens "*****" to Your own capital ship then You just have to sing that Monthy Pythons "Allways look at the bright side of life..." [:'(]
Pertsajakilu
RE: What meant *** and . in hit damage.
Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:08 pm
by boba
ORIGINAL: pertsajakilu
Doh...if it happens "*****" to Your own capital ship then You just have to sing that Monthy Pythons "Allways look at the bright side of life..." [:'(]
Pertsajakilu
When you play as Japanese, you'll find yourself doing that on many occasions [:D]
Night attacks
Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:37 am
by boba
I wasn't aware untill recently that navy bombers set on night missions can also attack TFs by night. Sure, most of that attacks are unsuccesful but you can achive some amazing results also (as I found out by simple luck). I had highly experienced group of 3 (!) Bettys attacking allied CV TFs, geting through allied CAP (also set on night mission) and AA and sinking 1CVE, 1CVL and damagin 1 CVE and 1CV [X(] . All that in 2 turns and numerous night sorties flown by single Betty squadron!
So, at least those Bettys and Nells can be of some use late in the war...
RE: Night attacks
Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:44 pm
by Denniss
Just for Info - how many AA/Flak was firing at night and how many of your planes were lost ?
RE: Night attacks
Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:25 am
by boba
ORIGINAL: Denniss
Just for Info - how many AA/Flak was firing at night and how many of your planes were lost ?
I'm not sure about number of Flaks, but they were firing 'cause in some cases they would shot down or damage 1-2 bombers. What I was amazed about is that almost every time my 3 Bettys got through enemy CAP (about 20-30 planes), dodged AA and in around 30-40% cases attacked ships. I think that experience is a key 'cause that squadron had 95 experience, and some squadrons of 70-75 experience won't attack at all... Anyway, thaought it can be usefull information to share, it is a good thing to see Bettys in november '44 sinking American CVs [:D]
RE: What meant *** and . in hit damage.
Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:57 am
by Cmdrcain
ORIGINAL: pertsajakilu
ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget
That's something you want to see happening with enemy ships, but not with your own. The asterisks (*) are an indicator for the damage done by a warhead that penetrated the ship's armor. It's PW's way to tell you that the hit touched off a magazine or ignited a fuel tank. One * is about 20 damage points,
Yikes....20 points.

I rememered that more it's like extra damage but 20 points..huh. Doh...if it happens "*****" to Your own capital ship then You just have to sing that Monthy Pythons "Allways look at the bright side of life..." [:'(]
Pertsajakilu
Basically it means Took a Critical hit, more * worse the hits done in collateral damage, with a Carrier imagine planes fueling blowing up and it spreading...
a ***** think of a torp hitting and the critical hit causing explosion that collateral damage hits other areas even on deck and basically the CV went up in one big Blast...
You see them with gun hits too, a BB fires and your CA takes a *** meaning it got hit say in a turrent and the forward turrent magazine went WOOOMMPP
Use your imagination [:D]
RE: What meant *** and . in hit damage.
Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:53 am
by LargeSlowTarget
Yep, that's what I meant - a critical hit that ignites a magazine or a fuel storage or the Rum locker (on RN ships), causing massive damage.