Page 1 of 1

Name This...(28)

Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:05 am
by Brady
???




Image

RE: Name This...(28)

Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:01 am
by afspret
The Burma Road.

RE: Name This...(28)

Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:05 am
by LargeSlowTarget
Or the Ledo Road.

RE: Name This...(28)

Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:52 am
by Oliver Heindorf
Kokoda Trail I guess ???

RE: Name This...(28)

Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:57 am
by LargeSlowTarget
Don't think so, that's a two-lane road, not a jungle trail. Kokoda Trail looked more like this:

Image

RE: Name This...(28)

Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:39 pm
by ruger1997
A snake in the grass.......kinda like some guys I know

RE: Name This...(28)

Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:40 pm
by Brady
Ledo Road, it is:)

RE: Name This...(28)

Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:38 am
by Mike Scholl
And for those that keep talking about supply by air as a possibility, it should be
pointed out that it was built because shuttling trucks along this "snaking pathway"
was MORE effecient at moving supply than flying it. Should give an idea of just
how ineffecient the air route was.

RE: I'll tell you what...

Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:42 am
by RevRick
I bet they were coming DOWN that thing in Grandma....

RE: Name This...(28)

Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:11 am
by TIMJOT
ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl

And for those that keep talking about supply by air as a possibility, it should be
pointed out that it was built because shuttling trucks along this "snaking pathway"
was MORE effecient at moving supply than flying it. Should give an idea of just
how ineffecient the air route was.

Not sure how efficient it was. IIRC it was never actually used since I believe the war ended before it was completed. I agree the air route wasnt efficient, but its main contribution was that it provided Uncle Chang with enough booty to keep the War lords beholding to him for the duration.

RE: Name This...(28)

Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:18 am
by LargeSlowTarget
The first convoy from Ledo arrived at Kunming on February 4, 1945. However, after the British recaptured Rangoon in May 1945, the old Burma Road was reopened. The Ledo Road was used for only 10 month or so before being declared dispensable. Had I worked on the Ledo Road for three years, I would have been really pissed...