Page 1 of 2
Acronyms
Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2001 10:21 pm
by Figmo
Hey this might be a good place to put all the acronyms people know - then we can search on the word and get them all.
Plus - I have answers to ruxius' questions.
First the acronyms I know:
ROTFL = Roll On The Floor Laughing
IIRC = If I Recall Correctly
LOL = Laugh Out Loud or Lot's Of Laughing
I'm sure there are more - so please - feel free to add to the list.
Now ruxius - here are your answers:
1. Which is the capital of Italy ?
----Rome
2. Where do I come from ?
----From your mother's womb
3. Which is Caput Mundi ?
----You mean "Roma Caput Mundi" which is "Rome - the Eternal City"
4. and 5. - Of course - that goes without saying!!!
-How did I do?
Figmo
Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2001 10:24 pm
by Larry Holt
IRL: In Real Life
RTFM: Read the fine (or otherwise) manual
SNAFU: Situation normal, all fouled up.
------------------
An old soldier but not yet a faded one.
OK, maybe just a bit faded.
Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2001 11:19 pm
by Lars Remmen
JANFU = Joint Army Navy Foul Up
TUIFU = The Ultimate In Foul Up's
IMHO = In My Humble Opinion
------------------
Lars
Nec Temere - Nec Timide
Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2001 12:59 am
by murx
AFAIK - as far as I know
murx
Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2001 2:29 am
by Don Doom
LOL = Lot of Luck
------------------
Doom
Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2001 4:28 am
by Randy
BOHICA-Bend Over, Here It Comes Again
DILIGAS-Does It Look Like I Give A S***
WAFWAT-What A F****** Waste Of Time
When I was in OCS the staff got upset with us because we knew the above, but not the stuff they were teaching!!
Semper Fi
Randy
Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2001 5:07 am
by USMCGrunt
Let's not forget a few critical military ones.
FIIGMO - (F*** It, I Got My Orders) Usually used around the time of your EAS (End of Active Service) and not the guy in the posts.
AMF - Also called Alpha Mike Foxtrot. Used to end a radio conversation when you just got the short end of the stick. Stood for Adios Mother F***ers.
Have to agree with Randy, BOHICA was one we used a lot.
Some other common USMC ones in no particular order are:
FAP - Fleet Assistance Program (Getting assigned as an MP, range coach, etc)
TAD - Temporary Additional Duty
BC - Battalion Commander
UA - Unauthorized Abscence (USMC version of AWOL)
UDP - Unit Deployment Program (6 month overseas tour)
FNG - F***ing New Guy
AO - Area of Operations
BIOYA - Blow It Out Your A**
FMF - Fleet Marine Forces
MEB - Marine Expeditionary Brigade
MEU(SOC) - Marine Expeditionary Unit (Special Operations Capable)
MEF - Marine Expeditionary Force
BAS - Battalion Aid Station
FAC - Forward Air Controller
STA Platoon - Surveillance and Target Acquisition Platoon (Battalion Sniper Teams)
ANGLICO - Air/Naval Gunnery LIason COmpany
SRIG - Special Reconnaisance/Intelligence Group
CIT - Counter Intelligence Team
FDC - Fire Direction Center (For plotting arty)
SAW - Squad Automatic Weapon
ATG - Anti-Tank Gun
ATGM - Anti-Tank Guided Missile
LAAW - Light Anti-Armor Weapon
SMEAC - (aka the 5 Paragraph Order) Situation, Mission, Equipment, Admin/logostics, Command/signals (This was used when writing warning orders in preparation for an operation.)
BAMCIS - (Used when operation planning) Begin planning, Arrange recon, Make recon, Continue planning, Implement, Supervise
BST/EST Book - (aka the Green Monster) The Marine Corps Battle Skills Training/Essential Subject Training manual. (Everyone got one and most lost them when they could manage)
and finally
J.J. DID TIE BUCKLE (This was used to remember the 14 leadership traits.) Let's see if anyone can guess what they are. Bonus points for naming the most important one. (This was a standard question on any Meritorious Promotion Board that I sat on.)
------------------
USMCGrunt
-When it absolutely, positively, has to be destroyed overnight.
[This message has been edited by USMCGrunt (edited March 06, 2001).]
[This message has been edited by USMCGrunt (edited March 06, 2001).]
Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2001 5:23 am
by Alby
We all forgot the most important one!!!!
FUBAR!!!
Fu**ed up beyond all reallity!!(or recognition)
Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2001 6:30 am
by Randy
Hey USMCGrunt, the ones they used to get upset at cause we didn't know were BAMSIS,
SMEAC! I forgot all those while in the Wing.
Like they always said: "Swing with the Wing!"
Semper Fi
Randy
Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2001 6:48 am
by USMCGrunt
Originally posted by Randy:
Hey USMCGrunt, the ones they used to get upset at cause we didn't know were BAMSIS,
SMEAC! I forgot all those while in the Wing.
Like they always said: "Swing with the Wing!"
Semper Fi
Randy
That's why we NCO's were around Randy. To make sure everyone remembered them.
------------------
USMCGrunt
-When it absolutely, positively, has to be destroyed overnight.
Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2001 6:50 am
by Figmo
Originally posted by USMCGrunt:
FIIGMO - (F*** It, I Got My Orders) Usually used around the time of your EAS (End of Active Service) and not the guy in the posts.
Ya - I got the nick from a Vietnam Vet. He said it without the extra "I". It was used when they had to go into the bush - same meaning. I loved the nick - especially when Wild Bill needed me to do something - I could say:
Will Do - FIGMO!!
Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2001 8:04 am
by Jeff Norton
USMCGrunt,
Here goes:
Justice (MP's know this by heart...)
Judgement
Dependability
Initiative
Decisiveness
Tact
Integrity
Enthusiam
Bearing
Unselfishness
Courage (Some also say Candor or Confidence - also known as the other 3C's)
Knowledge
Loyalty
Endurance
My favorite was Decisiveness - Firm conviction in what you do and your course of actions will carry you through on the battlefield
Thanks SSG Fletcher (my BNCOC Small Group Leader/ Sqd Ldr. 95B20 track.)
Ah, those were the days...
-Jeff
Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2001 12:34 pm
by ruxius
Okokok !
Now I am Perfectly equipped for the first phase...common abbreviations...the next topic should be dedicated to typical english ways of speaking...and so finally I can understand you more !
People from other countries thanks you a lot!
Now Just add about
AFV-armored f??? vehicles
As for Mr. Figmo's test here is the votation:
1) correct
2) not complete...the exact was mother Rome's ecc.ecc.
3)correct with a bonus
4-5) diplomacy achieved !
So unseasoning spaghetti and good wine are waiting for you ! (that means quite well
student !)

)
Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2001 2:36 pm
by Resisti
ROFLMAO
Rolling On Floor Laughing My A** Out
------------------
Federico "Resisti" Doveri
If you cannot defeat your enemy,join him.
Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2001 5:35 pm
by Figmo
Originally posted by ruxius:
Okokok !
Now I am Perfectly equipped for the first phase...common abbreviations...the next topic should be dedicated to typical english ways of speaking...and so finally I can understand you more !
People from other countries thanks you a lot!
Now Just add about
AFV-armored f??? vehicles
As for Mr. Figmo's test here is the votation:
1) correct
2) not complete...the exact was mother Rome's ecc.ecc.
3)correct with a bonus
4-5) diplomacy achieved !
So unseasoning spaghetti and good wine are waiting for you ! (that means quite well
student !)
)
COOL - I passed!! Thank You - figmo bows - Thank you - figmo bows again!!!
AFV = Armored Fighting Vehicle
POW or PW = Prisoner of War
MIA = Missing In Action
SATCOM = Satallite communication
R&R = Rest & Relaxation - or Recuperation
VIP = Very Important Person
KP = Kitchen Patrol
Figmo
Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2001 6:45 pm
by Figmo
Per Delta32's PW'ed -
PW or PW'Ed - Pussy Wipped or Panty Wipped
Figmo
P.S. I hope this survives the editors cut!!
Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2001 9:11 pm
by Larry Holt
OK, another test. Who knows what MOOSE MUSS is?
------------------
An old soldier but not yet a faded one.
OK, maybe just a bit faded.
Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2001 9:51 pm
by lynchc
MOOSE MUSS is of course referring to the principles of war:
Maneuver
Objective
Offensive
Suprise
Economy of force
Mass
Unity of Command
Simplicity
Security
Pretty good for an aviator!
Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2001 10:01 pm
by CaptainBrian
Originally posted by Figmo:
POW or PW = Prisoner of War
Figmo
For some ungodly reason, what we all know as POWs are called "EPWs", Enemy Prisoners of War. I guess that is to avoid confusing them with friendly prisoners of war.
Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2001 5:08 am
by USMCGrunt
Originally posted by Jeff Norton:
USMCGrunt,
My favorite was Decisiveness - Firm conviction in what you do and your course of actions will carry you through on the battlefield
-Jeff
Very good Jeff, but you didn't make the bonus round. The answer to which is most important is an actual test question at NCO school. Anyone one else want to take a stab? Just a hint, it's also known as the "building" block of leadership.
------------------
USMCGrunt
-When it absolutely, positively, has to be destroyed overnight.