Page 1 of 1
Slang Terms
Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2001 6:03 pm
by Figmo
This can be Slang for any language. If you've heard one and don't know what it means - post it here and somebody will know - I hope!!
Some common American English Slang are:
To Grease Somebody = To Kill Them - IIRC this came from the 1920s when the gangsters called the Tompson Machine gun a grease gun.
Will you carry me there = Southern American term for "how about a ride - in your car".
The Perfect woman = She's Barefoot, Pregnant and in the kitchen.
Figmo
Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2001 10:00 pm
by lynchc
Good ones!
Of course your definition of the perfect woman was incomplete. You forgot:
Four feet tall, a flat head, and no teeth!
Grease gun was also the name given to the M3 submachine gun issued to American tank crews in WWII and in some places still in use today.
Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2001 6:30 am
by JediMessiah
im not sure the tommy was referred to as the grease gun....more likely the chicago typewriter.....the m3 was called a gease gun however, because of its use by tank crews and its resemblence to a grease gun
Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2001 7:19 am
by Alby
Originally posted by Figmo:
This can be Slang for any language. If you've heard one and don't know what it means - post it here and somebody will know - I hope!!
Some common American English Slang are:
To Grease Somebody = To Kill Them - IIRC this came from the 1920s when the gangsters called the Tompson Machine gun a grease gun.
Figmo
Was it called "grease gun"? thought this refered to something else.
I know they called em tommy guns or choppers.
Oh well no biggy, just making conversation...heheh
Alby
Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2001 8:01 am
by Pack Rat
They actually look like a grease gun, the kind used to grease your car. They were still issued to tank recovery crews when I was in as late as 72. That's what we called them anyway. They had a folding metal wire stock ( I guess it folded) and had a straight clip of 45 cal.. I think those that actually fired it said it had a recoil that went pretty much straight up, so add a very short barrel and I suspect a weapon only good for very close combat.
------------------
PR
http://electricwar.tripod.com/
Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2001 6:20 pm
by Figmo
I wasn't sure about the Thompson being called a Grease gun - and figured somebody would correct me!!
Back to Slang Terms I found this site
http://www.manythings.org/slang/
With bunches of them!!
And this site with an explanation of "American Slang"
http://www.bartleby.com/185/52.html
Some of it's pretty funny!!
Figmo