Page 1 of 1

Silly question from an old vet

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2001 2:10 am
by Warrior
To take advantage of the cover afforded by a stone wall, should the unit be placed right in the stone wall hex or directly behind it (Infantry or guns only, of course)? I've been wondering about this for ages.

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2001 2:42 am
by zombie
At a guess, since hexs are, what 50 yards, I`d say in the hex.

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2001 4:03 am
by Wild Bill
On the wall. Behind it is only a los hindrance....WB

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2001 4:16 am
by MindSpy
Originally posted by REMF:
To take advantage of the cover afforded by a stone wall, should the unit be placed right in the stone wall hex or directly behind it (Infantry or guns only, of course)? I've been wondering about this for ages.
MINDSPY

On the wall too! (hahahahahahaah)

Of course since dominant terrain type determines cost of the hex then
dominant terrain type would determine the defense value of the hex as well!

So on the wall is safest.

MINDSPY

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2001 10:01 pm
by RockinHarry
...would also be nice for vehicle type units! (hull down) But it´s probably too difficult to "fix" this. :(

____________
RockinHarry

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2001 11:15 pm
by Warrior
Thanks all. Funny how you can put infantry or a gun in the same hex as the wall, but if attempting that with a vehicle they ALWAYS manage to hit the wall and become immobilized. You'd think with 50 yards to maneuver they could miss the darn thing once and awhile! Go figure. Thanks again.

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2001 1:06 am
by Rhodan
On a somewhat related matter, why oh why does the AI always pick the one route to travel a certain distance that goes -right- through the -only- building within a kilometer's radius? What are those driver's thinking, that they are in a demolition derby? ;)

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2001 2:09 am
by G Van Horne
Rhodan, I noticed this happens to me a sometimes. Especially when I use the maps I made. I would put a house near the junction and make a trail from the building to the road (to look like a path) and another from the back of the house to the other road. When I moved the vehicle it always took the short cut through the house. It saw the shortest route, but not the house.
Garth

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2001 2:10 am
by Warrior
Originally posted by Rhodan:
On a somewhat related matter, why oh why does the AI always pick the one route to travel a certain distance that goes -right- through the -only- building within a kilometer's radius? What are those driver's thinking, that they are ina demolition deby? ;)
I have had this happen so often I couldn't count the times. There's no a driver in the universe that would knowingly drive through a building (or wall) when a clear route was available. I try to "scan" my routes in advance to be sure they are clear, but I also save my game "in progress" frequently." If the AI does something really stupid like drive through a wall or building when I obviously had a clear route it could have gone, I just end the game, reload from the in-progress save, and do it the way a real driver would - take the clear route planned.