Page 1 of 2

Hearts of Iron 2 announced

Posted: Tue May 04, 2004 11:59 am
by Hortlund
Hearts of Iron 2 presents tons of new features including a redesigned map and interface, updated battle mechanics, re-worked technology tree, fine-tuned diplomacy and trade system as well as gameplay details like co-operative multiplayer. The game will also include, apart from the four major campaigns, battle scenarios optimized for one or two evenings of gaming, as well as different multiplayer settings.



http://www.paradoxplaza.com/news.asp?Ar ... &Page=News

RE: Hearts of Iron 2 announced

Posted: Thu May 06, 2004 9:04 am
by Hortlund
Hearts of Iron 2 interview
found at
http://pc.boomtown.net/en_uk/articles/a ... hp?id=5022

Paradox Entertainment are renowned for making first class hardcore strategy games. We questioned them about Hearts of Iron 2, which they announced yesterday.

2002’s Hearts of Iron was one of the most advanced World War II strategy games ever seen, when it comes to strategic and global decisions combined with thousands of options for micro-management. Even though its complex nature will have intimidated quite a few casual gamers, the game was a big hit amongst the strategy veterans and Paradox Entertainment’s fan base (built up around games like Europa Universalis). Thus the game sold over 150,000 units – a quite impressive achievement for a hardcore product.

Yesterday, Paradox Entertainment announced Hearts of Iron 2, introducing quite a few cool features and new ideas that will surely ensure fans wait for the sequel even more impatiently. In fact many central areas of the game will undergo big changes. We’ve had the chance to talk to Paradox Entertainment’s Fredrik W. Lindgren, head of sales and marketing, about Hearts of Iron 2.

Like its predecessor Hearts of Iron 2 simulates the whole of World War II. The release is set to be somewhere between November 2004 and March 2005, and there are lots of new features and changes to the game in order to please both veterans and newcomers alike.

”We want to provide the ultimate World War II experience and strategic perspective, a game that both masters of strategy and ‘casual gamers’ will appreciate for its depth and attention to detail and for it’s approachability at the same time,” Fredrik W. Lindgren says.

One of the most interesting changes is the new combat system. It will enhance the strategic feeling of the game and make the game as a whole easier to comprehend. This is not least due to the radical change that sees units now attacking right away, when moved to another province – they don’t have to move to the middle of the province and then start attacking. A unit will now attack at the same moment as the troops are commanded to move into a province occupied by hostile forces. Once the attacking or the defending player receives 100% control of the province, the other part retreats from the territory.

“We call the new system ‘movement is attack’. This also means that the old trick that lets you predict an enemy attack just by watching his units move can no longer be used and the game’s outcome will therefore be based much more on your strategic abilities than your ability to foresee what the AI is doing,” he explains.

For those gamers that hate micro management, there’ll be an option for the player to control every little detail of the combat system or just focus on the battle aspect of the game.

Many changes originate from fan input and wishes, and one particular area to receive attention is the air and naval system. The old air system in particular used to be a bit tiresome, as you had to order an air unit to attack again and again.

”We have included quite a few wishes from our fans, amongst others a mission based air/naval system. We’ll also add a series of shorter battle scenarios lasting one evening’s playtime. Furthermore we also added a co-operative multiplayer that has been requested by a majority of the fans,” he reveals.

In Hearts of Iron 2 aircrafts will be assigned to a base and from there they can be assigned missions like air superiority, strategic bombing or logistical strike, as well as a target area to attack. The units will automatically perform their missions until the province is occupied or the units have been eliminated.

”Air and naval systems are going to be mission based, meaning that you give orders to, for example, a bomber to accomplish a mission. The bomber will then continue doing that until it’s destroyed or the attacked province is conquered,” Fredrik W. Lindgren says.

This sounds like a great improvement, making aircraft much more fun to use. Technology now also means a lot more in terms of unit power and each new generation of unit will be significantly stronger than older ones, ensuring that the game will be more historically accurate (although one may argue that “advances” like the Me210 were more of a step backwards than forwards - ed.).

One thing many missed dearly in Hearts of Iron was the political options you had in Europa Universalis 2 (and later in Victoria). While you could choose a basic left/right policy, you could not shape your policy in any detail. This is going to change in Hearts of Iron 2, though, and you’ll have much more precise control. You’ll be given seven policy bars that you can regulate, covering everything from “professional army - draft system” to “freedom - oppression”. Naturally the question is whether a player can radically change a country and for example turn the Soviet Union into a fascist state or Spain into a democracy.

“Policy bars can be changed with a time interval. To change Italy into a communist state will take a lot longer time than it will take to change one of the democracies into a communist or a fascist state. In either case the gamer can change his country politically and economically exactly like he wants to during the game,” Fredrik W. Lindgren explains.

Research will also take place in a new way. Every nation has a number of technology teams (one to five) working with research. The teams will have a specific location, specialty and skill level, and this will affect what technologies and how well the tech teams will produce results for your nation.

”Research is going to be a lot easier to understand and handle, for instance research is going to focus on what you want – not the components needed to get there. The teams will develop these components automatically and you’ll be given a graphical presentation of all research, giving you a good overview. Each team will have a specialist that will speed up development of certain technologies and units much faster, too,” he says.


Lessons learnt
After Hearts of Iron, Paradox Entertainment released Victoria, which probably is the best game so far based on the Europa Universalis engine. Thus it’s only natural to implement some of Victoria’s mechanics in Hearts of Iron 2:

“We learnt a great deal during the development of Victoria and for example the policy system will benefit from the experiences we got from that game. In reality the policy system will be the best from Europa Universalis 2 and Victoria, which you can also say about war waging and diplomacy,” Fredrik W. Lindgren explains.

It seems that Hearts of Iron 2 is not merely a minor update, but it might even be a big advance like Europa Universalis 2, compared to the first Europa Universalis game. We'll know for sure in six to ten months.

RE: Hearts of Iron 2 announced

Posted: Thu May 06, 2004 1:08 pm
by Les_the_Sarge_9_1
That interview was a bigger bogus sounding bunch of garbage than I thought possible.

Do they honestly think anyone is buying that pathetic line of swill?

I don't think so PJ, and if you read any of the OTHER threads out there on any of the other forums, and also notice how no one cares about your thread, you might be able to see the truth.

RE: Hearts of Iron 2 announced

Posted: Thu May 06, 2004 1:46 pm
by madflava13
So Paradox is basically giving the finger to the customers again by negating all the years of work that went into CORE... Real nice Paradox. Way to shun the only people who actually care about your game.

Just when I was about to re-install HOI to see if CORE fixed it, Paradox comes out and ruins everything. I swear to god the grinch must run that company.

RE: Hearts of Iron 2 announced

Posted: Thu May 06, 2004 3:36 pm
by Hortlund
What makes you think that some of the best guys who were working on CORE are not working on HoI2 at this very second?

In what way is Paradox shunning its fans and customers when they are giving them the game those fans and customers want the most?

And vanilla HoI106 is better than the current core version. Just a friendly advice.

RE: Hearts of Iron 2 announced

Posted: Thu May 06, 2004 3:40 pm
by Hortlund
Hey Les [8|]

Glad to see that you will be giving this game a chance too. Apparently you dont even need to wait for it to be released before you can start thrashing it.

Lets just agree that you dont know anything about this game either, and just leave it at that shall we?

RE: Hearts of Iron 2 announced

Posted: Thu May 06, 2004 5:01 pm
by Les_the_Sarge_9_1
Actually, I took your link, inserted in my forum, the Warfare HQ forum and over at Battlefront.

Currently those that think Paradox should get stuffed, outnumber those that would think this game will just be yet another paradox classic.

And they are all people that bought the game.

But please, you got right ahead and champion this game.

I plan to be playing real good games of grand strategy instead.

RE: Hearts of Iron 2 announced

Posted: Thu May 06, 2004 5:15 pm
by Hortlund
Currently those that think Paradox should get stuffed, outnumber those that would think this game will just be yet another paradox classic.

And they are all people that bought the game.

And they are also all people that have no idea about what HoI2 will be like apart from what that interview has told them. So no one of them is in any position to say anything about the game.
But please, you got right ahead and champion this game.

I plan to be playing real good games of grand strategy instead.

Of cource I will go ahead and champion this game, simply because I know it is the best grand strategy ww2 computer simulation designed.

And we all know that you think strategic command is an example of a "good game" of grand strategy" and that kinda kills your credibility...

RE: Hearts of Iron 2 announced

Posted: Thu May 06, 2004 5:38 pm
by tiredoftryingnames
Let me get this straight. They released a bug ridden crappy game with all kinds of issues. They've patched and patched and patched yet the basic issues remain. So now they want me to believe they're going to release a bigger and better version for me to BUY to replace the crap I already own. I thought when you released something you fixed it, not fixed it under a different name and then charge for it. With their track record this one will be bug ridden and crappy and when all the neat stuff that doesn't work in that one gets fixed they'll release it as HOI 3. Check a local retail store near you for your chance to get ripped off three times by the same company.

You know I'm glad not all business works like this. Imagine buying a car that breaks down driving it off the lot. If Paradox ran the car lot they'd sell you a newer car that improves the one you just bought to get you home instead of fixing the one you just got.

RE: Hearts of Iron 2 announced

Posted: Thu May 06, 2004 5:39 pm
by madflava13
Panzer,
If the people working on CORE are doing HOI2, then maybe it's a different story... But nothing in the announcement said that. All it said was Paradox... Paradox being the company that released a buggy piece of garbage and left it to the customers to fix. So I'm sorry if I offended you, but unless there's been a major shake-up in Paradox's management, I'm not interested until I hear a year's worth of non-biased positive news. And yes, I am one man with one opinion.

Also, I know I sound like I'm attacking you - I'm sorry, I am not intending that. I am attacking what Paradox did with the original HOI and how I think its a slap in the face for them to come out now saying "We've been listening to our customers and we want to make improvements on HOI!"

RE: Hearts of Iron 2 announced

Posted: Thu May 06, 2004 5:41 pm
by Les_the_Sarge_9_1
I read that interview.

Most people that deluded are not allowed out on the street unsupervised.

As for SC, at least the game runs, at least the game is liked, at least it is a wargame, not a farce, at least people have never violently objected to having wasted their money buying it.

It delivered what it stated it would deliver. It didn't need fans slaving over it to make it work. People that play it can actually post a comment, and not need to make excuses for all the things that still don't run.

And for the record, yes, SC is NOT perfect, and anyone that knows me know I have never said it was. As well as knowing I will not support a game that hasn't deserved it.

And on the subject of credibility of view point PJ, why is it no one is supporting you here and now? Or is that not obvious?

RE: Hearts of Iron 2 announced

Posted: Thu May 06, 2004 6:19 pm
by dinsdale
ORIGINAL: Panzerjaeger Hortlund
Of cource I will go ahead and champion this game, simply because I know it is the best grand strategy ww2 computer simulation designed.

Aren't you doing the same as Les? You are making a judgment on the game before it's finished (or started?) So what makes your assumptions more or less valid than Les's?

RE: Hearts of Iron 2 announced

Posted: Thu May 06, 2004 6:25 pm
by november
Oh goody! Another poll by an astute pollster. How apt considering it’s an election year.

RE: Hearts of Iron 2 announced

Posted: Thu May 06, 2004 6:27 pm
by Les_the_Sarge_9_1
It might just be me PJ, but I think you are leaving blood in the water heeh :)

RE: Hearts of Iron 2 announced

Posted: Thu May 06, 2004 7:14 pm
by Hortlund
ORIGINAL: dinsdale
Aren't you doing the same as Les? You are making a judgment on the game before it's finished (or started?) So what makes your assumptions more or less valid than Les's?

Well, actually I have been working on HoI2 as a beta since early January.

RE: Hearts of Iron 2 announced

Posted: Thu May 06, 2004 7:26 pm
by Les_the_Sarge_9_1
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaahh kinda explains things now doesn't it.

Well if it sucks, I will know why.

Also puts your propaganda in a better light now.

I thought you were just a fanboy like I am a proponent of Strategic Command.
Bought truth is, you are actually biased.

RE: Hearts of Iron 2 announced

Posted: Thu May 06, 2004 7:48 pm
by max_h
ORIGINAL: madflava13

Panzer,
If the people working on CORE are doing HOI2, then maybe it's a different story... But nothing in the announcement said that. All it said was Paradox... Paradox being the company that released a buggy piece of garbage and left it to the customers to fix. So I'm sorry if I offended you, but unless there's been a major shake-up in Paradox's management, I'm not interested until I hear a year's worth of non-biased positive news. And yes, I am one man with one opinion.

Also, I know I sound like I'm attacking you - I'm sorry, I am not intending that. I am attacking what Paradox did with the original HOI and how I think its a slap in the face for them to come out now saying "We've been listening to our customers and we want to make improvements on HOI!"


imho, hoi106 is a real fun game now and if you check the paradox forums, it looks like "steel", the head of core, has become mod for the hoi2 forum... says something...

RE: Hearts of Iron 2 announced

Posted: Thu May 06, 2004 8:19 pm
by Frank W.
i like HOI more than SC btw.

but probably i will buy WITP and will
have no money or time left then for HOI2[:(]

RE: Hearts of Iron 2 announced

Posted: Thu May 06, 2004 8:36 pm
by november
Objectively speaking, HOI is a great game and Paradox a great company.[:D]

RE: Hearts of Iron 2 announced

Posted: Thu May 06, 2004 8:45 pm
by marky
lol


yay

tho i never got to play the first

and i prolly wont b able to play either till i get myself sum $ and my OWN computer [:(][:(][:(][:(]