Page 1 of 1

Pyramids ?

Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2001 1:05 am
by G Van Horne
Just wondering if any pyramids have been added to the graphics for the desert maps? I made one in my modified shp files, but it looks more like a.... modified house.

Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2001 4:39 am
by ruxius
Originally posted by G Van Horne:
Just wondering if any pyramids have been added to the graphics for the desert maps? I made one in my modified shp files, but it looks more like a.... modified house.
:) like what ?? ahah..cool !
Maybe Ramsete is speaking with Tutankamon..
They decided to reincarnate in your relatives for teasing you since a few ago...isn't it ? Think to this !

Apart from kidding I would ask to you about this tip : how can you modify , change and edit shp files ?
You seemed to be able to do so !
I am asking this because I can't do it with PAint Shop Pro 7 , Infraview and Adobe Picture Manager...
Please tell me something about this ...
I will try to persuate Egyptian deities not to bore you in your life..
:-)))
Frank !

Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2001 7:11 am
by G Van Horne
Frank.. Haven't been doing it for long, so if any one else has any advise.. just jump in.
I use Fred Chlanda's Shp editor http://freds.webprovider.com/(it has all the help) and for editing I use the Window's Pbrush program.
Load shp file to edit
Save shp (image #)file as BMP
Edit BMP with Pbrush
Load edited BMP in the Shp ed
Convert BMP file to SHP file
Replace image # with new shp file.

IMPORTANT: the new Shp file will be called BIGNEW. You have to delete the orig Shp file (for example, Icon0001) and rename BIGNEW to Icon0001.
Sometimes the new file(image #) is out of whack, just use the SP fix and make a new alignment.
Always back up you shp file first (I knew you knew that) I also replaced some of the colors in the new file with the orig SP flash colors because the smoke from any destroyed tanks was not "moving". (I Just made an extra palette to load custom colors from.)Some of my bomb craters have moving smoke and flame.
I even had some house chimneys smokin... anyway, hope that helped.
The color #s are 112-127 and 224-255 if you want to edit them.
Garth

Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2001 7:16 am
by G Van Horne
Sorry, Frank...
That link should read as.. http://freds.webprovider.com/
Garth

Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2001 10:30 am
by Bob Wallace
Hi All,

As one who has spent more hours making and modifying SHP files then I would like, I can let you in on a few things...

#1, the editor that Fred Chlanda made is good for editing a few icons one-at-a-time, but if you really want to rock-and-roll, use his MAKSHP and UNSHP programs. These are DOS based, so get ready to see the old ugly Black and White screens ;)

Basically what you do is this:

Place the two programs in the \SHP directory (it is one of the sub directories of the Steel Panthers root directory).

Figure out which SHP file you want to modify and make sure a copy of the STEEL.PAL file is in the same directory).

Type the sequence of commands as per the instructions in UNSHP help file [you can view this by simply typing UNSHP at the DSOS prompt with no additional commands]
Here is an example:
if you wanted to work with the ACTMENU.SHP files you would type in
"UNSHP ACTMENU.SHP ACTMENU STEEL.PAL"
The first filename tells the program what SHP file to work with, the second name is the name each of the BMP files that are generated form the program will be name (ie. ACTMENU001.BMP, ACTMENU002.BMP, etc), and the third file specifies the palette to use for colors.

Now you have a bitmap for each and every SHP icon in the SHP file.

Edit which ever bitmaps (icons) you want and then use MAKSHP to convert all of these bitmaps back to SHP files.

Now when you used the UNSHP, a file named the same as what you specified as the bitmap prefix (ACTMENU for my example) with an .IDX extension would have already been made for you. So, all you have to do to use MAKSHP is this:

MAKSHP ACTMENU.SHP ACTMENU.IDX STEEL.PAL

The first filename indicates what file to create (should be the same name as the file you extracted earlier), the second filename lists the index file (that has a list of each and every bitmap that was created, and the last one specifies thepalette to use (as before)

So, when you have done these steps (it is really quick and easy after you have done it a few times) you will have a SHP file that has all the new icons you made/modified plus the original ones (if you didnt modify anything).

If you want to add to the SHP file with new icons, simply make a bitmap (naming it per the standard convention (ie ACTMENU199.bmp) and simply add another line to your .IDX file so MAKSHP knows to include this in the conversion process.

As far as the Pyramids are concerned, don't hold your breath ;) To simulate a real pyramid would tak a cluster of roughly 4-5 hexes from the center (basically a 37-61 hex building!)... SPWAW only handles 7-hex buildings tops... sorry ;(

Bob

P.S. Feel free to email me if you have questions about making or modifying SHP files. my email is:
bobw@matrixgames.com

Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2001 11:06 am
by G Van Horne
Thanx, Bob... There were times when I wished there was a faster way. I just downloaded Unshp from Fred's site. I'm going to give it a burst and see what happens. I'll print you're instructions out too.
Garth

Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2001 6:45 pm
by ruxius
Hey Bob ! A very detailed exaustive and PRECIOUS reserved info !! Thank you very much !! It was my second try to have an answer about this ..I didn't hope so much...
I will surely e-mail at you if I need more help !

and also thanks to you Garth ..I am going to that site for looking the programs that Bob
has named !

Yuppie !