Page 1 of 1

Questions

Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2001 8:36 pm
by wyvern1_6
Hello All,

I've just finished downloading SPWaW and installed it after trying for the last 2 months. However, I noticed a few things. First, is that GetRight reports that the download is only 344 MB instead of 360 as posted on the page. Also now that I've installed it it seems quite a bit slower than the original Steel Panthers that I played long time ago. And lastly, I cant seem to get the units to move as a group even after hitting the "A" key instead i got no movement at all. Anyone have any ideas?

Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2001 8:57 pm
by David F. Wall
First off, welcome to the community.

At the risk of sounding pedantic, I'd suggest you read the manual, because while the basic premise is the same, this game has about the same relationship to the original SP as Quake III has to the original Doom.

Offhand, it appears that you might want to spend some time fiddling with the delays on the preference screen (I have mine turned all the way down and the game moves at a pretty good clip) and maybe turning the
Command and Control setting off.

Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2001 9:21 pm
by wyvern1_6
Thanks for the reply. And yes, I did skim through the manual though not comprehensively. Regrettably I didn't find any reference to what might explain the discrepancies such as the download size and the inability to make formation moves. So I was wondering if anyone else might have an idea.

Cheers!

Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2001 9:26 pm
by wyvern1_6
Thanks for the reply. And yes, I did skim through the manual though not comprehensively. Regrettably I didn't find any reference to what might explain the discrepancies such as the download size and the inability to make formation moves. So I was wondering if anyone else might have an idea.

Cheers!

Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2001 9:31 pm
by wyvern1_6
Thanks for the reply. And yes, I did skim through the manual though not comprehensively. Regrettably I didn't find any reference to what might explain the discrepancies such as the download size and the inability to make formation moves. So I was wondering if anyone else might have an idea.

Cheers!

Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2001 10:20 pm
by Paul Vebber
http://www.matrixgames.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=002800

above is an old thread on formation movement
Hopefully it will help.

Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2001 10:38 pm
by Chris Evitts
A kilobyte is generally accepted as being 1024 Bytes. A megabyte however may be defined as either 1 million bytes, 1000 kilobytes, or 1024 kilobytes. I strongly suspect that this is the cause of the size difference.

For formation move to work, you have to set the objective for the formation (even if not using Comand and Control). IIRC, it's a bug that carried over from the original SP3 engine.

Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2001 7:16 am
by Alby
what speed is your computer?
My old 200mhz worked fine for sp3, but spwaw was real slow and jerky, the screen scrolled very slow, so i had to go out and get a faster pc,(boy am i hooked or what?, oh well needed fatser pc anyway..lol)) spwaw plays fine now on 750.