Page 1 of 2

New Features Listed for SPWaW Rev7

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2001 12:52 pm
by David Heath
Hi Guys

We have updated the feature list for SPWaW v5.0 Rev7. Please give it a look and lets hear some of your feedback. You can find the features page here. http://www.matrixgames.com/games/sp-worldatwar/features.asp

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2001 4:55 pm
by Antonius
Unit rarity factor ! That's a great addition to the game I had always dreamed of.

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2001 5:14 pm
by xavier
Thanks for that addition !!
I love it !!

XAAL.

104) Rarity Ratings - When "True Troop Cost" is on units rarity ratings now come into play. Units that were rare or out of production will have a greater chance of not being available to the player. A unit's rarity affects their chances of being available on the purchase menus. Units currently unavailable will now show up in red on the purchase screen. Also when playing via the Internet two commanders on the same side when not have the same units available to them.

:) :)

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2001 5:23 pm
by Marder_MatrixForum
the 104 is great!!!

:p :p :p :eek: (and these graemlins)

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2001 5:28 pm
by ruxius
Yeeeeeeees !
Scenario designers jumping in the air !
Scenario editor will see great improvements !
I am very happy about new customizable feature..!
51) 58) 59)

About point 52) I hope Great Fred will also provide us a good manual to the program !


About point 68) uhm....DId I understand right ? if you deny other units than para to be loaded in cargoes there will be no chance of any transported unit by air..
And what about cargo speed ? a speed of 3 is quite unuseful to a significant use of them in battle...


As regards point 90) -the alt-j feature- I would ask if it can be considered something like the Starcraft CTRL-# or SHIFT-# keystroke ability..
For ex , In that game pressing SHIFT-# will let you keep in memory a particular location of the battlefield..while CTRL-# let you center that unit on the screen map when # is pressed .
It could be very useful in large battlefields .
A number assigned to a unit or to a place so that you can go there at once even if essential in real time games , can be appreciated in SPWAW too..
Thanks !
104 points make a difference from SPWAW45 !
It seems SPWAW50 a new capitol in SPWAW saga!
MAMMA MIA !

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2001 5:53 pm
by jaro
It's very impressive.Keep up good work.

Ps: How much time do you need to release the patch?

;)

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2001 6:16 pm
by waynef
David, a question:

I plan on buying the Mega Campaign. It is my understanding that SPW@W v7 will be on the same disk we buy that includes the Mega Campaign.

My question:
1) Is SPW@W v5.0 Rev7 a stand alone install or an upgrade from v4.5?
2) Should I remove all other versions of SPW@W on my system to play SPW@W v5.0 Rev7
3) SPW@W v5.0 Rev7 will include "all" patches and "upgrades" to date?
Thanks :D

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2001 6:43 pm
by Kharan
#104 sounds great... but maybe it should also affect the chances for *each* purchase of a certain unit, i.e. just because you can buy Jagdtigers, doesn't mean you can buy a dozen of them.

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2001 10:26 pm
by David Heath
Hi Waynef

Mega Campaign will be its own install. SPWaW will be the full complete game with a few other free goodies. You do not have to remove all of your older version but I think you won't want to go back. v5.0 will be the newest and the best SPWaW.

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2001 10:43 pm
by warhead
Is there any way to locate the map on a target at the edge of the map, so that it is more likely to see the firing unit as well. As it is the target of fire is "centered" in the map and unless from PBR, the firing unit isn't usually visible. By moving the targeted unit to the map edge opposite from the firing unit, we could add about 6-8 visible hexes in front of the target unit, and thus have more of a chance to include the firing unit in the screen shot. This is more important for OPFire decisions.

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2001 11:27 pm
by lnp4668
A question about panic units:

Do they have less movement/fire capabilites next turn or will they be supress, etc?

Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2001 12:14 am
by Paul Vebber
THey get suppresed, if good morale/rally they recover quickly, if not it can be a true problem. AT units will stifen the resolve of such units so if you send tanks or AT guns to the vicinity of panicing units, they will tend to calm back down.

Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2001 12:53 am
by Charles2222
Hmm, this rarity clause will prove to good experimentation for the same in CL. I'm wondering....let's suppose that 9/42 let's me select only 2 Tigers and suppose I don't use them. Will I know that there are two available, or will I have to keep upgrading and when it runs out then I know that's the limit? Also, if I don't use any when they're first available, will it pool? In other words, if there's only one available every month, will I have two available in the 2nd month, assuming I didn't upgrade to any in the first month? I sure hope readme or the manual gets very specific on this. Thanks.

Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2001 1:28 am
by Fabs
The list of improvements/fixes is truly impressive, and I look forward to being able to download the patch, as well as ordering the Mega Campaign.

I did not find a mention about the problem in solitaire Assault/defend games where the defending AI units take leave of their senses around turns 5 - 7 and "Banzai" charge out of their positions into the attacker's fire.

This bug has seriously damaged playability of solitaire scenarios. I have been told that "it should work better in v.5", but it's not listed.

Any news on this?

Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2001 1:48 am
by Warhorse
Hey Fabs, that nasty little stinker has been gone for awhile in 4.6, so it's histo!!;-) That was a pain in the butt though...

Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2001 2:03 am
by Paul Vebber
The rarity randomness is meant for initial purchase of units, in the battle generator in particular. I don't think it will change the availability of units to upgrade to.

Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2001 2:04 am
by McGib
Just one question, whats the difference between point 70 and point 78. I'm certain they are the same thing. I noticed this some time ago and figured that since no one else mentioned it or seen it changed that maybe I was reading things wrong.

70) Eliminate units surrendering to planes
78) Units no longer surrender to planes.

Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2001 3:46 am
by Alby
Everything looks great, kinda dont understand this one?
Is this concerning the "bum rush" move??

95) We have broken down Op-Fire to three levels. Point Blank Op-Fire is triggered when ever a moving unit moves moves next. If the unit is in a defense stance it will be triggered from 1 - 3 hexes away.

Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2001 4:28 am
by David Heath
SPWaW features v5.0 b18 Rev8 are now up on our SPWaW Features Page.
http://www.matrixgames.com/games/sp-worldatwar/features.asp

Once again please tell us what you think.

David

Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2001 4:44 am
by xavier
Just now, I was wondering if this option was not missing !!!
You answered my question before I ask it to you.
:eek:
:D

XAAL.
---------------------------
107) Changed True Troop Cost button on preferences screen to allow different settings for True Troop Cost and Rarity.