Page 1 of 1
New Patch, still frustrating
Posted: Thu May 20, 2004 4:53 pm
by EricGuitarJames
Well I installed the new patch but it doesn't seem to have ironed out the re-planning issue. I've been playing the 'Mook Right Hook' scenario, trying out the strategy I used against Yakstock to see how the AI would react. Yet again I've run into the old 'new orders' in the log when none have been issued and unnecessary re-planning during attacks. Strangely this has been 214th Bde again (as it was when playing Yakstock) but I'm sure this is a coincidence although to happen twice in the same attack is pushing it a bit.
I do have savegames for this but I was also wondering whether anyone else has run into this despite installing the new patch which I believe was going to fix this.
RE: New Patch, still frustrating
Posted: Thu May 20, 2004 9:55 pm
by Tzar007
Since the new patch, I haven't run into it again. Well, to be frank, I have seen re-planning sometimes since the patch, but it wasn't anything special, the cases where it happened made sense so I am pretty sure this is part of the game.
Are your troops tired, with low cohesion, and with poor ratings? Are they also under fire and the staff rating low? In that case, it could well be normal that re-planning happens often. HQs do re-plan sometimes, ans with inferior troops, it happens more often.
RE: New Patch, still frustrating
Posted: Thu May 20, 2004 10:04 pm
by EricGuitarJames
Well I'd expect it too in some circumstances but with the objective achieved and no enemy troops between the hq unit and said objective I wouldn't expect the whole brigade to suddenly turn around and go back to their starting point. Since I made that post it happened again incidentally so I'm wondering whether Panther hard coded a kind of 'Grand Old Duke of York' behaviour into Essame (commander of the 214th). As regards the condition of the troops I don't recall there being anything up with the unit ratings, all 'middling to good' iirc.
RE: New Patch, still frustrating
Posted: Thu May 20, 2004 11:48 pm
by Arjuna
Eric,
What you describe sounds like a bug. I thought we had ironed that one out. There may be some other case firing that we have not accounted for. Please send in your saved game(s). I will need one that starts before they turn around and replan. Send it to support[at]panthergames[dot]com.
RE: New Patch, still frustrating
Posted: Fri May 21, 2004 1:44 am
by EricGuitarJames
I'm not sure whether the savegames quite fall into that time period. Having said that I've got four that centre on 214th Bde so once I've zipped 'em (which will probably be tomorrow, your timezone) I'll zap 'em over and hopefully that'll clear 'em.
RE: New Patch, still frustrating
Posted: Fri May 21, 2004 3:26 am
by deadman
I have also seen the issue in the 'Mook Right Hook' scenario. In fact a few times... Once, it did appear to be a reorganization/replanning/refitting type move. All of the forward forces moved back to the re-org point, re-orged (or what appeared to be a re-org), then moved out again. This was a good move at the time since their advance was stalled by a large German force protecting the advance toward the main objective. It was clear that they were not going to go much further in their current condition although they seemed to have an adaquate amount of unit ratings left (morale, etc.) I believe I still have the save game but I have to take a look.
RE: New Patch, still frustrating
Posted: Mon May 24, 2004 7:57 pm
by PaulWRoberts
Any official word on whether this is an actual bug or not. If so, how serious is it?
RE: New Patch, still frustrating
Posted: Tue May 25, 2004 12:17 am
by Arjuna
Sorry guys, but I have been so busy I have not had time to look at this yet. Please be patient.[:)]
RE: New Patch, still frustrating
Posted: Tue May 25, 2004 1:37 am
by EricGuitarJames
Here's something else! I don't think this is a bug but I was playing the Eindhoven 'Double Drop' scenario and I ordered 107th Pz Bde to take the Eindhoven objective. This they successfully did but on the attack route they'd encountered a couple of para companies which they brushed past. However, when the HQ and 'reserve' units moved up to 'secure the objective' they were stopped by the paras. Now, rather than also brushing past the AI command withdrew the whole brigade from Eindhoven and issued fresh orders. Needless to say they suffered losses withdrawing and quickly exceeded their casualty limit. Thus a good tactical success was reduced to a shambles[:@]. Now I don't see this as being realistic (but then I could be wrong[;)]). Opinions?
RE: New Patch, still frustrating
Posted: Tue May 25, 2004 1:51 am
by Arjuna
There is code in the reasessments that may cause a replan if the subject unit ( ie the HQ ) is itself under serious threat. I suspoect that is what happened when they ran into those paras. What probably needs to happen is some code added that before calling this replan it checkts to see if it holds the objective and if so then it recalc a bypass route to avoid the encountered enemy. That would be better, hey? I'll addit to the wish list.
RE: New Patch, still frustrating
Posted: Tue May 25, 2004 1:54 am
by EricGuitarJames
That wish list had better be in a small font given the way it seems to be growing and GROWING[:D]
RE: New Patch, still frustrating
Posted: Tue May 25, 2004 1:58 am
by Arjuna
Yeh, well we know whose partly responsible, don't we?[;)]
RE: New Patch, still frustrating
Posted: Tue May 25, 2004 1:59 am
by EricGuitarJames
ORIGINAL: Arjuna
Yeh, well we know whose partly responsible, don't we?[;)]
Errrrrrrrrr.... I just care[:D]