Page 1 of 1

Format of the HTTR map

Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:38 am
by Skyfire7631
I asked Golf33 some information about the format of the MapPat files, to see if it was possible to enhance the map. Here's the information he gave me, which is really interesting :
Would you believe, not as far as I know? I'd have to ask Dave or Paul and to be honest they'd probably have to look at the code to see for sure. I have worked out most of it though!

The far-left column contains the tiles used for the most zoomed-in view (2 metres/pixel). The zoom level halves as you go to the right, so the far-right column contains the tiles used for the 64 metres/pixel view.

Most of the rows represent one of more terrain layers, with a couple of rows that I haven't been able to work out. If the top row is row 1:

1. Industrial
2. Factory
3. Village
4. Town
5. City
6. Orchards
7. Heide
8. Woods
9. Light Woods
10. Major River, Lake
11. Airfield
12. Marsh
13. Broken
14. Polder
15-25. Elevations - highest to lowest
26. Fort
27. Stream, Minor River
28. Text, Road and Rail Bridge, Ferry, Railroad
29. Dike outer line
30. Dike inner line
31. Dike centre line
32. Highway
33. Road, Minor Road, and Track
34. Embankment

Oh. Well, I guess now there is a list of what the layers all are [;)]

The MapPatA.bmp file is a transparency guide for the tiles in MapPat.bmp. Black is fully transparent (i.e. doesn't show up or causes graphic corruption, I forget which) and white is completely opaque. Some levels of transparency cause corruption, you'll have to experiment to see what works at each zoom level.

Regards
33

Thanks again, Golf [:)]

So far, I only adjusted the brightness/contrast (I had trouble reading some names, or seeing the bombard or other cursors sometimes), with Paint Shop Pro 8 (there's a handy little option, called "automatic contrast enhancement" or something like that, which I used with the "darker" option). You can see the result in the AAR I posted in the AAR forum (last post, as of now, of my thread)

Regards.

RE: Format of the HTTR map

Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:33 pm
by KNac007
Can someone make a "Bocage" and "Field" (Crop Field or whatever) like images?

then I will release the Utah Beach map (the scenario not yet), thanks. (BTW I'm using Light Woods for Bocage now, and Heide for Fields).

RE: Format of the HTTR map

Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:51 pm
by Skyfire7631
I guess this could be doable, but you would have to replace one existing terrain type. As a consequence, that will overwrite this terrain type by bocage (for example) for all maps. Probably not what you're looking for, I suppose ?

Regards.

RE: Format of the HTTR map

Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:55 pm
by KNac007
The terrain type effect will just affect that map. But yes, the image will be overwrited for all scenarios I realize that.

There isn't any other way, so it's what I want :) The user can always revert the graphics (it just takes some seconds).

However the ideal thing would be someone make something like a tool that does this automatcly. But, a .bat file could work if someone knows how to do it.

RE: Format of the HTTR map

Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:01 pm
by Skyfire7631
I could easily do something to switch the MapPat files before launching HTTR, with Visual Basic for example [:)]

However, don't count on me for creating new graphics : if there's something I'm definitely not, it's an artist [:D]

Regards.

RE: Format of the HTTR map

Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:11 pm
by KNac007
Hahaha, ok.

I will try... with Paint! [:'(] [:D]

RE: Format of the HTTR map

Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:30 pm
by Skyfire7631
Here's a little test for you [;)]

First, the unmodified Arnhem map :
Image

Now, after my modifications :
Image

The modifications are :
[*]The brightness/contrast adjustment I already made
[*]Replaced the major river/lake texture with a new one
[*]Replaced the Heide texture with a "field" texture

I'm rather satisfied with the field texture, though when zoomed out, it's a little "rough".

Btw, I took the water and field textures from a heavily modded Combat Mission Beyond Overlord folder [:)]

Regards.

RE: Format of the HTTR map

Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:14 pm
by KNac007
Cool, can you send me the modifications to my e-mail address?

Now that you talk about CM, maybe the "steppe" in CMBB would make for a good field texture...

BTW I prefer the original major river graphics.

RE: Format of the HTTR map

Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:37 pm
by Skyfire7631
What ? You criticize my river modding, and you want me to send my files ? No way ! [:'(] (j/k [;)])

Unfortunately, I did not keep that mod, which was just a test, sorry.

I can however send you the CM file I used to modify the HTTR MapPat map, if you wish. If so, PM me your email or leave it in this thread, as you wish (can't send an attachment with the email option of the forums, I think).

I don't know what is the "license" concerning that file, though (meaning, I'm not sure if the guy who originally did it would accept it's used for another game and distributed as a mod), and I don't have the original mod with a readme file or something anymore.

Regards.

RE: Format of the HTTR map

Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:26 pm
by KNac007
My e-mail is available on the profile [;)]

However, I will make my own mod with other photographies when I can

RE: Format of the HTTR map

Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:44 pm
by Bil H
Skyfire76, be careful when you make these mods, that you don't lose the elevation contours. It looks like you might have lost those where your field texture is on the screen shot above. The Heide texture you replaced was just an overlay.

Bil

RE: Format of the HTTR map

Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:55 pm
by Skyfire7631
Yeah, you're probably right : I had to put full white squares in the MapPatA (in the corresponding places) in order to get something without some sort of graphical problems. That's because the original field texture, coming from CM, had pink in it for where it is supposed to be transparent.

If I wanted to make things right, I would have to make a mask fitting the texture and put it in the MapPatA file. Did I get that right ? [:)]

Regards.

RE: Format of the HTTR map

Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:56 pm
by Skyfire7631
ORIGINAL: KNac007

My e-mail is available on the profile [;)]

However, I will make my own mod with other photographies when I can

Nope, sorry : I can see your ICQ number, but not your email [&:]

Anyway, do you still want me to send you something ?

Regards.

RE: Format of the HTTR map

Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:03 pm
by KNac007
No need...

Strange about the^Profile Think. It says "do you want others to be able to send you e-mails" and the answer is "yes"

RE: Format of the HTTR map

Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:10 pm
by Skyfire7631
This option only allows users to use the forum email thingy (like a PM, but will be sent to your mailbox instead), but we'll never see what is your address actually, AFAIK [;)]

Regards.