Page 1 of 3

quick question...

Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:45 am
by SamRo
Suspect already answered but will subs historically capable of flying subs be able to do so?

RE: quick question...

Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:02 am
by DoomedMantis
yes

RE: quick question...

Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:22 am
by tiredoftryingnames
What game are you testing? I have seen no flying subs launched from other subs. In fact there are no flying subs at all. Although there is a sub called Flying Fish. [:D]

RE: quick question...

Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:23 am
by Rainerle
Raising old question:
When will sub vs. sub be included ?

RE: quick question...

Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:25 am
by tiredoftryingnames
When subs fly. [8|] [:'(]

RE: quick question...

Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:41 am
by DoomedMantis
your in a jolly mood tonigh Tired, you get laid or something[8D]

RE: quick question...

Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:44 am
by SamRo
opps....

right so there are no flying sub's but subs capable of lunching aircraft will beable to do so then?

RE: quick question...

Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:46 am
by DoomedMantis
yes

RE: quick question...

Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:50 am
by tsimmonds
Wait a minute.

You mean this game will have NO FLYING SUBS?

That's it; I quit.

RE: quick question...

Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:51 am
by tiredoftryingnames
ORIGINAL: DoomedMantis

your in a jolly mood tonigh Tired, you get laid or something[8D]

As far as I can recall I have not been passed into this world by a chicken recently.

RE: quick question...

Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:17 pm
by DoomedMantis
oh thats good[:D]

RE: quick question...

Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:54 pm
by Luskan
Little does Raver know I slipped a rocket propelled I-Boat into the OOB for our game (Iboat with six V2's strapped to the back).

I plan to launch her from the Tokyo launch pad - if she lands in the ocean on the west coast, her crew should still be alive, so she'll ditch the rockets and become an ultra long range sub, or if she hits land (she's aimed at LA) her crew will be dead - but I'll have packed her FULL of propoganda leaflets . . . that way I win either way.

I was also thinking that if Germany can lend me enough v2s, I might be able to retrofit the Nates into something useful . . .

RE: quick question...

Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:04 pm
by tiredoftryingnames
Better hope he doesn't have 800mm ASAA (anti-sub anti-air) guns stationed at LA.

RE: quick question...

Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:21 pm
by ZOOMIE1980
ORIGINAL: Rainerle

Raising old question:
When will sub vs. sub be included ?

That was a Cold War era thing, when us and the Soviets developed wolfpack tactics with nuclear attack subs to go after the "boomers". The sub on sub engagements, in WWII, if they occurred at all, were probably surface engagements using the deck gun.

RE: quick question...

Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:38 pm
by Subchaser
ORIGINAL: ZOOMIE1980

That was a Cold War era thing, when us and the Soviets developed wolfpack tactics with nuclear attack subs to go after the "boomers". The sub on sub engagements, in WWII, if they occurred at all, were probably surface engagements using the deck gun.

These Japanese subs were destroyed by Allied submarines in Pacific 1942-45, 15% of all IJN subs losses. BTW, almost all were sunk by torpedoes

I-4,
I-122,
I-28,
I-29,
I-34,
I-42,
I-43,
I-64,
I-166,
I-168,
I-73,
I-183,
I-351,
I-364,
I-365,
I-371,
I-373,
RO-112,
RO-113,
RO-115.

RE: quick question...

Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:13 pm
by ZOOMIE1980
ORIGINAL: Subchaser
ORIGINAL: ZOOMIE1980

That was a Cold War era thing, when us and the Soviets developed wolfpack tactics with nuclear attack subs to go after the "boomers". The sub on sub engagements, in WWII, if they occurred at all, were probably surface engagements using the deck gun.

These Japanese subs were destroyed by Allied submarines in Pacific 1942-45, 15% of all IJN subs losses. BTW, almost all were sunk by torpedoes

I-4,
I-122,
I-28,
I-29,
I-34,
I-42,
I-43,
I-64,
I-166,
I-168,
I-73,
I-183,
I-351,
I-364,
I-365,
I-371,
I-373,
RO-112,
RO-113,
RO-115.

Yea, and probably in a surface engagement much the same way a sub sank any other ship. There were no "Red Storm Rising/Hunt For Red October" sub on sub style engagements in WWII. The ASW technology simply wasn't there yet....

RE: quick question...

Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:26 pm
by Radzy
If You take look at Sensuikan on the famous Nihon Kaigun homepage and search the fates of subs mentioned by Subchaser, you will find, that many of them were sunk by torpedo hit.

RE: quick question...

Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:44 pm
by soeren
It was common for allied subs to hunt for axis subs, particulary the RN did it a lot ( at least in europe ). As subs spend most of their time surfaced, they are not invulnerable to an torpedo attack.

RE: quick question...

Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:38 pm
by Nikademus
ULTRA intercepts allowed the USN subs to intercept and "lie in wait" for them. The Japanese sub would show up (often right on schedule). One torpedo is all it takes to kill a sub 99.9% of the time

RE: quick question...

Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:45 pm
by kaleun
I remember reading about a US submarine, can't remember which, that would actually try to track the Japanese subs by the interference that their radar would cause on the US submarine's radar. Apparently very few IJN ships had radar, but most subs had it. (this must have been towards the end of the war) Unfortunately I can't remember the exact reference.