Page 1 of 5
UV retrofit
Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:08 am
by Subchaser
Sorry if it was already answered. When Matrix/2by3 are going to release retrofit patch for UV? I still have one UV pbem game going and it would be nice to see how WitP innovations work on 30 miles scale map. Thanks.
RE: UV retrofit
Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:19 am
by tiredoftryingnames
We've been asking that for a while and keep in mind it all could change. When they get time the word is they are going to do a patch to put some refinements and tweaks into UV, but it's not going to be a major overhaul to bring UV up to WITP's interface. We've all pitched suggestions of what we'd like to see in the patch, but no decision has been made as WITP is the focus now. The priority is to get WITP released and then add some features in a follow on patch that didn't make the deadline. I think the main focus if they do anything will be some of the formulas and stuff under the hood. Alot of the screens and changes to what is displayed in WITP aren't going to change in UV I BELIEVE. I can't stress that this might change or never be done at all. That's just from what we've heard when we've asked over time if a new change we like will make it UV eventually.
RE: UV retrofit
Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:23 am
by Rainerle
Will UV get cheaper when WitP is out ??
Not that it would affect me since I have the game for 2 years now, but it might bring in new players who have been scared off by the price so far.
RE: UV retrofit
Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:24 am
by tiredoftryingnames
That's a Matrix decision that we have no info on. If they email and ask I'll put in a good word. [;)]
RE: UV retrofit
Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:38 pm
by Subchaser
ORIGINAL: tiredoftryingnames
We've been asking that for a while and keep in mind it all could change. When they get time the word is they are going to do a patch to put some refinements and tweaks into UV, but it's not going to be a major overhaul to bring UV up to WITP's interface. We've all pitched suggestions of what we'd like to see in the patch, but no decision has been made as WITP is the focus now. The priority is to get WITP released and then add some features in a follow on patch that didn't make the deadline. I think the main focus if they do anything will be some of the formulas and stuff under the hood. Alot of the screens and changes to what is displayed in WITP aren't going to change in UV I BELIEVE. I can't stress that this might change or never be done at all. That's just from what we've heard when we've asked over time if a new change we like will make it UV eventually.
I understand that major overhaul is impossible, I thought about basic features, which could be easily retrofitted into UV within a patch scope. I hope they will find some time to do it.
RE: UV retrofit
Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:49 pm
by Mr.Frag
I understand that major overhaul is impossible, I thought about basic features, which could be easily retrofitted into UV within a patch scope. I hope they will find some time to do it.
I doubt even 10% of what has changed could be done. But there are a number of bugs that we found that go right back to the UV code. These might be fixed, but you have to think about it this way. Time spent doing that is time not spent moving forward. UV has already gotten a fair number of patches. Where do you draw the line?
RE: UV retrofit
Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:11 pm
by Subchaser
ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag
Where do you draw the line?
Ask me when I will grab my WitP copy! [;)]
RE: UV retrofit
Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:28 pm
by siRkid
Quik poll , would you rather we patch UV or work on Bomb Alley?
RE: UV retrofit
Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:37 pm
by kaleun
Bomb alley!
RE: UV retrofit
Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:39 pm
by pad152
If 2by3/matrix plans on doing a Med game, would it be based on the UV engine (30 mi per hex) or Witp (60 mi per hex)? Is there any future in the UV game engine? I think this may factor in new UV improvements.
RE: UV retrofit
Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:39 pm
by Fallschirmjager
ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag
I understand that major overhaul is impossible, I thought about basic features, which could be easily retrofitted into UV within a patch scope. I hope they will find some time to do it.
I doubt even 10% of what has changed could be done. But there are a number of bugs that we found that go right back to the UV code. These might be fixed, but you have to think about it this way. Time spent doing that is time not spent moving forward. UV has already gotten a fair number of patches. Where do you draw the line?
I say they issue the final UV patch.
They address all the known bugs and fix all the coding errors that they know of.
And then leave it at that.
Otherwise it turns into something like SpWaW...which is becoming like the Vietnam of games.
RE: UV retrofit
Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:40 pm
by Fallschirmjager
ORIGINAL: Kid
Quik poll , would you rather we patch UV or work on Bomb Alley?
A new WiR
RE: UV retrofit
Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:43 pm
by tsimmonds
With WitP in my CD/ROM I'll be like Homer Simpson with a doughnut: nothing else will matter. I expect my UV PBEM game will get dropped like a hot rock as we both dig in.....
RE: UV retrofit
Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:44 pm
by ZOOMIE1980
ORIGINAL: pad152
If 2by3/matrix plans on doing a Med game, would it be based on the UV engine (30 mi per hex) or Witp (60 mi per hex)? Is there any future in the UV game engine? I think this may factor in new UV improvements.
Why spend much of any time at all making significant modifications to a game that has run its sales course? Major mods won't generate additional new sales so why bother? It's not like we are purchasing a long term maintenance contract with these games or anything.
RE: UV retrofit
Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:48 pm
by Mr.Frag
Why spend much of any time at all making significant modifications to a game that has run its sales course? Major mods won't generate additional new sales so why bother? It's not like we are purchasing a long term maintenance contract with these games or anything.
Thats my thoughts too. If we were talking about completely refitting UV, i'd see a point, but it was really a test bed to see if WitP could be done. WitP basically replaces UV. Lets focus on improving WitP with new features instead of retorfitting UV which will get deleted by everyone who buys WitP. [;)]
RE: UV retrofit
Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:49 pm
by kaleun
That's what's great about Matrix. They keep upgrading/modifying/improving games that they have put out, even if they won't make more money on them. I guess the upside is that once you buy from Matrix, you expect that level of service, and nothing else will do, so you will come back to Matrix for more.
(Kind of like what happens when you buy a Toyota)[8|]
RE: UV retrofit
Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:06 pm
by tiredoftryingnames
There are a few formula tweaks I'd like to see ported over to UV to clean things up but other than that I'd rather start on War in Europe.
RE: UV retrofit
Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:08 pm
by ZOOMIE1980
ORIGINAL: kaleun
That's what's great about Matrix. They keep upgrading/modifying/improving games that they have put out, even if they won't make more money on them. I guess the upside is that once you buy from Matrix, you expect that level of service, and nothing else will do, so you will come back to Matrix for more.
(Kind of like what happens when you buy a Toyota)[8|]
Some MAtrix games are based on a pretty mature set of core libraries (reusable kernel-level code) and some aren't. When you have a game like that, continually patching it is not too hard. But you will notice, Matrix never wholesale rewrites games (sans those WIP and WIR Dos titles). WitP basically has a completely reworked kernel (the engine) and from what we hear is a REPLACEMENT game for UV. UV appears, in hindsight, more and more to be nothing but a "Beta" game for WitP. Kind of a feasability study.
Now once maybe WitP stablizes, may that will be the reusable kernel for other follow-on games. But then again, over on the tech forum, I get the impression they are moving to yet again, to a completely new game engine design using structured disk files, and some OOP paradigms, so that may not be the case either....
But long term, it is Matrix or 2X3's best interest to develop an underlying turn based wargame engine that is reusable for years to come, based on modern data and object oriented designs, and then start spitting out games using that kernel, much like companies have been doing with the Unreal engine, rather than reinventing the kernel over and over again..... And if it's solid enough, they could even license the engine itself to other gaming companies just like Unreal does with theirs...
RE: UV retrofit
Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:12 pm
by ZOOMIE1980
ORIGINAL: ZOOMIE1980
ORIGINAL: kaleun
That's what's great about Matrix. They keep upgrading/modifying/improving games that they have put out, even if they won't make more money on them. I guess the upside is that once you buy from Matrix, you expect that level of service, and nothing else will do, so you will come back to Matrix for more.
(Kind of like what happens when you buy a Toyota)[8|]
Some MAtrix games are based on a pretty mature set of core libraries (reusable kernel-level code) and some aren't. When you have a game like that, continually patching it is not too hard. But you will notice, Matrix never wholesale rewrites games (sans those WIP and WIR Dos titles). WitP basically has a completely reworked kernel (the engine) and from what we hear is a REPLACEMENT game for UV. UV appears, in hindsight, more and more to be nothing but a "Beta" game for WitP. Kind of a feasability study.
Now once maybe WitP stablizes, may that will be the reusable kernel for other follow-on games. But then again, over on the tech forum, I get the impression they are moving to yet again, to a completely new game engine design using structured disk files, and some OOP paradigms, so that may not be the case either....
But long term, it is Matrix or 2X3's best interest to develop an underlying turn based wargame engine that is reusable for years to come, based on modern data and object oriented designs, and then start spitting out games using that kernel, much like companies have been doing with the Unreal engine, rather than reinventing the kernel over and over again..... And if it's solid enough, they could even license the engine itself to other gaming companies just like Unreal does with theirs...
I know, replying to myself.....
But if there was ever a Genre of game suited to being coded in Java, this is it! Then they could sell this stuff to MAC and Linux users as well....
RE: UV retrofit
Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:58 pm
by Damien Thorn
ORIGINAL: ZOOMIE1980
ORIGINAL: pad152
If 2by3/matrix plans on doing a Med game, would it be based on the UV engine (30 mi per hex) or Witp (60 mi per hex)? Is there any future in the UV game engine? I think this may factor in new UV improvements.
Why spend much of any time at all making significant modifications to a game that has run its sales course? Major mods won't generate additional new sales so why bother? It's not like we are purchasing a long term maintenance contract with these games or anything.
God, zombie, you sound like a marketing weasel with the above statment. Very disappointing.
You guys want a reason to make another patch for UV? How about they PROMISED us one after the WitP release. We were told there would be one more patch that would retrofit as many of the WitP improvements as possible back to UV.