Page 1 of 2
Name This...(101)
Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:38 pm
by Brady
???

RE: Name This...(101)
Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:41 pm
by kaleun
Dive brakes for a P38?
RE: Name This...(101)
Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:58 pm
by rogueusmc
Those are gun breaches....two differnt guns too....early zero?....just a guess.
My bad...they are the same calibers.....they look like .30cal tops tho...they look american....have no idea on the plane.
RE: Name This...(101)
Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:03 pm
by anarchyintheuk
They're guns, just don't recall ever seeing guns recessed back that far on a fighter before.
RE: Name This...(101)
Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:08 pm
by kaleun
Right they are guns. I got confused by the access panel, thought it was attached to the breech cover.
RE: Name This...(101)
Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:45 pm
by Iron Duke
US Browning .50 M2 wing mounted mg's
RE: Name This...(101)
Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:47 pm
by jcjordan
I'm gonna go way out on this one & say gunbay of Wildcat or Buffalo, the little hump next to the gun reminds me of a model I built a long time ago but old timers could be affecting my memory on what I saw it on.
RE: Name This...(101)
Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:21 pm
by Subchaser
Bingo! F4F-4 gun bay.
Jcjordan?? JC's BTR forums?
RE: Name This...(101)
Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:24 pm
by Subchaser
Here is another shot

RE: Name This...(101)
Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:32 pm
by pompack
ORIGINAL: Subchaser
Jcjordan?? JC's BTR forums?
off topic, but I have not been able to get to JC's BTR forum in over a month, and he wasn't responding for a couple of months before that. Do you know what happened to him?
RE: Name This...(101)
Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:33 pm
by Tiornu
Are you sure that's F4F-4 and not F4F-3?
RE: Name This...(101)
Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:15 am
by byron13
Oh. Based on the Ki-100 being Name This #100, I thought maybe this was an F-101 or maybe M-101 cannons.
I just don't get the pattern. Maybe I'm not smart enough to play this game.
RE: Name This...(101)
Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:51 am
by jcjordan
Subchaser
A member of & player of BTR but not the man himself - he's gone MIA for some reason & does from time to time. I guess the header at the top where he states that all OOB requests will be honored by 2007 or 8. Most thought it a joke but maybe not now.
RE: Name This...(101)
Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 5:00 am
by kaleun
Actually I think Jcoliver is perusing this forum right now
RE: Name This...(101)
Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:29 pm
by rhohltjr
ORIGINAL: Tiornu
Are you sure that's F4F-4 and not F4F-3?
I agree with you Tiornu. Didn't the 4F have 6 .5s ?
This would be the right amount for a F3F though.
My guess is same as Tiornus.

RE: Name This...(101)
Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:53 pm
by GBirkn
There was another thread (I can't hope to find it now, of course) where someone said (IIRC) that the -4 had 6 mg's, but that crews in the field frequently removed one from each side to save on weight. So perhaps it's a -4 that's been modified in that fashion.
RE: Name This...(101)
Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:22 pm
by Subchaser
ORIGINAL: Tiornu
Are you sure that's F4F-4 and not F4F-3?
Yes I’m sure, 100%, I have to open my cards. This is one of the F4F-4 photos ‘in detail’ provided by Grumman archive. You can find them in Squadron’s F4F Wildcat Walk Around and in some other illustrated sources on F4F, USN battle cat by Kelvin Zantosh for example.
F4F-4 really was armed with 6 MGs, but due to specific construction of Wildcat wing, it was impossible to place 3 wing guns all together, armament was placed in two wing gun bays, 2 x .50 MG in inboard gun bay and 1 x .50 MG in outboard gun bay. See below for details.
F4F-4, it is. [:)]

RE: Name This...(101)
Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:37 pm
by Subchaser
ORIGINAL: jcjordan
Subchaser
A member of & player of BTR but not the man himself - he's gone MIA for some reason & does from time to time. I guess the header at the top where he states that all OOB requests will be honored by 2007 or 8. Most thought it a joke but maybe not now.
Little misunderstanding here, I was asking about you, not about Jean-Claude… I remember that there was a guy with the same nick –jcjordan on BTR forums, now it’s clear that was you. Thanks
RE: Name This...(101)
Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:41 pm
by Subchaser
ORIGINAL: pompacl
ORIGINAL: Subchaser
Jcjordan?? JC's BTR forums?
off topic, but I have not been able to get to JC's BTR forum in over a month, and he wasn't responding for a couple of months before that. Do you know what happened to him?
As I know JC’s forum became private last year, and it’s not easy to access now, btw I’m not sure that there is activity there still…
RE: Name This...(101)
Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 3:35 pm
by Brady
.50 cal M2, it is[:)]
F4F-4, it is[:)]
I beleave that the F4F-3 did not have the asbestos material in the gun bays, I may be wrong on this but I recall reading it, and about to head out the door, so I havent time to get out my Wildcat referances.