Page 1 of 2

6/18 Development Status Report

Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:57 pm
by Joel Billings
At the risk of throwing raw meat to the Sharks (my favorite hockey team), here's my limited view of what's been going on in development the past few weeks.

Around the beginning of June we had a pretty solid game. We were frantically working on the manual, which was a beast in its own right. David was working on getting higher quality sound and music files for the game. Knowing that we had some time to kill while the manual and sound/music were being finished, we continued to fix some annoying bugs as they were discovered. Most of these were small bugs or undesirable features that we could have lived with if we needed to. Of course with a game this complicated, any change has a chance of creating additional problems, and occasionally a bigger issue would pop up that we needed to fix. At this moment, we have no major issues outstanding.

The manual was finally sent off for layout about a week ago. The game manual came out to be 220 pages and we have 325+ pages of total documentation on the CD. Mike Eckenfels (game and editor manuals) and Richard Porter (tutorial guide) put in a lot of effort along with Marc Schwanebeck (PDF layout) to make these as informative as we could get them.

While David was working on the sound and music we realized that with a few changes to the sound engine, we could reduce the size of the files dramatically. Again, since we had the time, it made sense to try to do this. From what I understand, Matrix is just finishing up the sound and music files now and should be in a position to put together a complete game sometime within the next few days. This will still give time to test the final gold version and duplicate CDs for Origins.

Although we would have been happy to have been finished a few weeks ago, the extra time has resulted in a few more items being cleaned up, and hopefully much better (and smaller) sound/music in the final product. Anything can happen, but I know that David, Matrix and 2by3 are all doing everything possible to get the game out for Origins and then shortly (as soon as possible) thereafter for the Matrix Store. Now you know the real story (at least from where I'm sitting).

-Joel

RE: 6/18 Development Status Report

Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:05 pm
by kaleun
YEEHAAW. (Flipping over in glee)[:D]

RE: 6/18 Development Status Report

Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:09 pm
by kev_uk
Great stuff. Wish you every success...

RE: 6/18 Development Status Report

Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:17 pm
by freeboy
Can you imagine the time involved from inception to now.. [&o][&o]my hat is off to the team.. testers included

RE: 6/18 Development Status Report

Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:21 pm
by GameTester
Everything looks good Mr. Billings. Can't wait to see the end product.

RE: 6/18 Development Status Report

Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:04 pm
by ltfightr
Fresh meat ummmm[:D]

Great News I hope that every thing goes well

RE: 6/18 Development Status Report

Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:28 pm
by Xargun
Everything sounds great Joel. Thanks for the update. I am assuming you will make a final announcement over the next few days if the game will be at Origins or not for 100% ? I would hate to drive there, buy a ticket to get in only to find out its been delayed. Thanks again.

Xargun

RE: 6/18 Development Status Report

Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:05 pm
by bilbow
Mmmmm. Very tasty. Thanks
I'll be at Origins Thursday with credit card in hand.

RE: 6/18 Development Status Report

Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:12 pm
by rroberson
Hehe to think I just sent you my fed ex box ;).

ORIGINAL: Xargun

Everything sounds great Joel. Thanks for the update. I am assuming you will make a final announcement over the next few days if the game will be at Origins or not for 100% ? I would hate to drive there, buy a ticket to get in only to find out its been delayed. Thanks again.

Xargun

RE: 6/18 Development Status Report

Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:15 pm
by Ironman664
Thank you for the update.... [:)]

RE: 6/18 Development Status Report

Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:09 am
by brisd
[8D] Wonderful news, thanks for the update Joel!

RE: 6/18 Development Status Report

Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:55 am
by captskillet
Those who are about to die salute you [&o][&o][&o][&o]

RE: 6/18 Development Status Report

Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:58 am
by joliverlay
[:D][:D][:D]Those who are about to BUY salute you![:D][:D][:D]

RE: 6/18 Development Status Report

Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 5:04 am
by Platoonist
Heeheehee ! I'll drink to that.

RE: 6/18 Development Status Report

Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:31 am
by Apollo11
Hi all,

Thanks for info Joel!

Great work Matrix/2By3!!! [&o][&o][&o]


Leo "Apollo11"

RE: 6/18 Development Status Report

Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:11 am
by Sonny
It better be ready by Origins. I'm making the trip just to purchase it there.

(also I want to see if you guys are as ugly as I've heard[X(][:D]).

RE: 6/18 Development Status Report

Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:43 pm
by byron13
220 pages?

RE: 6/18 Development Status Report

Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:41 pm
by Caltone
ORIGINAL: Sonny

It better be ready by Origins. I'm making the trip just to purchase it there.

(also I want to see if you guys are as ugly as I've heard[X(][:D]).


That goes double, I'm hoping Sonny can pick up a copy for me too. Good work all around guys, can't wait to get my hands on this one.[&o]

RE: 6/18 Development Status Report

Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:43 pm
by Mr.Frag
220 pages?

Don't worry, you only need to read it a couple of times. [:'(]

Whoever you end up playing will be quite happy to remind you of whatever you forgot [;)]

RE: 6/18 Development Status Report

Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:32 pm
by olivier_slith
Is the maual going to be printed or is it another trip to Kinkos?