Page 1 of 2
Please not Sgt. Rock
Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 3:42 am
by Sarge
I can't take it any more, will Hollywood stop at nothing to turn a buck. One of my all time favorite past times as a kid is about to be slaughtered by Hollyweird. There is talk of doing a movie on Sgt. Rock based off the DC comic book character, staring Schwarzenegger or Bruce Willis. I think they aced the idea of Schwarzenegger and are casting willis for the roll. OMG the humanity

RE: Please not Sgt. Rock
Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 4:20 am
by Goblin
SGT ROCK RULED!!!!
I can't believe they are going to (almost definately) ruin that memory!
[:(]
Goblin
RE: Please not Sgt. Rock
Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 7:23 am
by Sarge
Not for sure yet , but thier working on getting Actor signed up. I could swallow Pixar doing something with Sgt. Rock but WB . Sgt. Rock is a KIA of my youth and anyone under 30 is not going to know who he is anyway so were are they going with this . What is DC comic's thinking its not going to be a hit like Spiderman or Batman even though I am not into that kind of entertainment I still can see how the would let Hollywierd do a movie or two based on the two characters. I got a close friend that works in the movie biz and you would no believe some of the screen plays that are being looked at. [X(] Rat patrol , Battle of Britain , and a host of other titles we as wargamers hold dearly.

RE: Please not Sgt. Rock
Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 8:48 am
by Fred98
You will need to give us non Americans a link to Sgt Rock cartoons.
Is a politicain allowed to act whilst in office???
-
RE: Please not Sgt. Rock
Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:55 am
by elmo3
Arnold looks way to buffed there. Are you sure that is for real?
RE: Please not Sgt. Rock
Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:52 pm
by Von Rom
Sgt Rock of Easy Company was one of my favourite comics. Man does this bring back memories.
Tough, grizzled and combat happy, Sgt. Rock leads the men of Easy Company through every obstacle and dire scenario a war can throw at you, quipping "Nothin's easy in Easy!"
There was another war comic about guys in a Stuart tank. The name escapes me at the moment.
http://www.actionismyreward.com/item-14 ... emplates=2
http://theedge.bostonherald.com/lifeNew ... 51&format=

RE: Please not Sgt. Rock
Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:16 pm
by Hexed Gamer
Well at least Hollywood won't be able to screw up the special effects.
Taking out a tiger tank with a thompson is required in at least one scene.
And no amount of gunfire will be allowed to touch Rock, although he might tear a part of his uniform.
I think Vin Deisel would be a nicer choice. Arnie has had him moment in the sun.
von Rom is hinking of Haunted Tank.
I won't watch a Rat Patrol remake though regardless of who makes it and how. If I want to watch Rat Patrol, I will watch the real thing.
RE: Please not Sgt. Rock
Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:31 pm
by Louis Jones
Is a politician allowed to act whilst in office???
Isn't that pretty much run of the mill?
I just read what I wrote and I know what it means, but I don't know how I know what it means, looking at those words?[&:]
What I said was isn't that what they usually do while is in office act![:D]
RE: Please not Sgt. Rock
Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:43 pm
by Hertston
I think a WW2 comic book (unless it was Captain America, or something) would be almost impossible to make a decent movie of. If you go for the realism (Pvt Ryan, BHD, etc) that people now expect in war movies, you'll completely miss the spirit of a comic book. If you DON'T do that, it will inevitably look like some 50`s B movie - or (worse) like the last half-hour of Windtalkers.
I hope they don't bother, for the sake of Sgt Rock fans AND everybody else.
RE: Please not Sgt. Rock
Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 2:13 pm
by Von Rom
Thanks Hexed Gamer.
Yes, it was "The Haunted Tank". The crew of a Stuart tank was "haunted" by the ghost of 'ol Jeb Stuart, who guided the crew with inspiring words through some tough fire-fights - heheh.

RE: Please not Sgt. Rock
Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 2:27 pm
by Hexed Gamer
For me it is all about suspension of disbelief.
I have enjoyed Superman, Batman, Spiderman, The Hulk, X-Men, Dare Devil League of Extraordinary Genetlemen and Hellboy (likely missed something in that list) all for one simple reason, I KNEW they were about imaginary people.
I EXPECTED to see stuff that wasn't possible.
Some of the films were perhaps executed better than some of the others.
It's when they film it as serious, and the last thing you can do is take it seriously, that I get annoyed.
RE: Please not Sgt. Rock
Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 4:41 pm
by Sarge
Here is some more art work from Joe Kuber.

RE: Please not Sgt. Rock
Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 4:56 pm
by Hanal
DC Archives has been releasing Sgt. Rock...the first two volumes are out:
http://www.talesofwonder.com/details.tp ... chtyp%3Dwo
I'm a big Sgt. Rock fan but I also grew up reading Sgt. Fury and I still have my complete collection of the Fury series...might put some of them up on Ebay soon since I'm moving..........
RE: Please not Sgt. Rock
Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 5:12 pm
by Maliki
Sgt.Rock ruled..lets see there was Icecream...Shortround...Wildman...was it Four-Eyes?...and a bunch of replacements who were always taking the same role as the red shirt guys from Star Trek[;)]
I was a big fan of Ghost Tank too,but apparently by the time i started reading it it was an almost entirely different crew.There was an allusion in one of the issues that most of the original crew was killed.
Some other favorites was The Unknown Soldier,remember he of no face...I couldn't believe it when they had him killed saving some girl from a landmine just as the war was over[X(]
There was a stranger series of comics,but i can't remember the name,where Dracula the Wolfman,and Frankenstein were working for the OSS along with some normal guy.Going on missions behind German lines and raising hell,so to speak.
I can't believe i remembered all this just reading that post about Sgt.Rock.If they do plan to make a movie i might at least give it a chance before passing judgement.Though of the actors mentioned so far none of them seem to fit the persona.
RE: Please not Sgt. Rock
Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 5:31 pm
by Hanal
Actually, Tom Sizemore would be perfect as Sgt. Rock.....
RE: Please not Sgt. Rock
Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 6:50 pm
by Sarge
Sgt. Rock sums up it up for us. All this talk of Sgt. Rock has me calling my P's asking if the comic books I left behind may have some how survived and have been waiting for me to reclaim them. NOT !!! that junk went in the trash years ago dear old Mom informed me [:(]

RE: Please not Sgt. Rock
Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 8:58 pm
by Von Rom
I like Joe Kuber's style of art.
I alos remember Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos - heheh
There was also G.I. Combat - I had tons of issues.
They don't make "comics" like that anymore

RE: Please not Sgt. Rock
Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 9:06 pm
by Von Rom
Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos - heheh

RE: Please not Sgt. Rock
Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:08 pm
by Huskalator
The Sgt Rock comic looks damn cool. I wish I could have been alive back then to read them.
On the other hand Sgt Fury and the Howling Commandos looks incredibly corny.
"SEVEN DOOMED MEN!" lol
RE: Please not Sgt. Rock
Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:35 pm
by Von Rom
ORIGINAL: Deep Breakfast
Sgt Fury and the Howling Commandos looks incredibly corny.
"SEVEN DOOMED MEN!" lol
You got that right - heheh
I had to post some covers here so that those who have never seen them before, could see what was on the newstands back in the day. . .
BTW, I think Sgt Rock kinda reminds me of Clint Walker (the big fella in the Dirty Dozen).