Page 1 of 1

Large #'s of Maps

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2001 7:33 am
by DoubleDeuce
Just wondering if anyone had ideas on the "quickest" way to make a large number of small maps? AND in a way that they all fit together like a jigsaw puzzle. You know, were all the roads and streams, etc all line up from map to map. I think SPWAW Map only works with 100 x 80 hex maps.Would be nice to use a 100 x 240 hex map and then be able to cut it up into smaller maps.

Was waiting for Wild Bill's map making class to start but he may be focusing on these maps from a scenario designer standpoint. I am looking at it from a tournament/campaign standpoint. Didn't want to post this in his class and get anybody sidetracked.

Thanks.

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2001 10:10 am
by Don
You can use WAWMAP to make smaller maps out of bigger ones, and place a small one inside a larger one. You would make your large map and then break it up using coordinates so it would be the size you want. I have 2 text docs copied from posts of guys who knew what they were doing - if you want I'll send them to you.

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2001 1:44 pm
by ruxius
Originally posted by Don:
I have 2 text docs copied from posts of guys who knew what they were doing - if you want I'll send them to you.
Hi mr. Don..I too would be very happy to receive that docs..if you like please send them to me at ruxiusf@libero.it
Thank you in advance..
Ruxius

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2001 2:57 pm
by skukko
Don, me too...

mosh

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2001 7:03 pm
by DoubleDeuce
Thanks Don,

I have been using the SPWAW Map Editor (great tool by the way Fred!) and was wondering if it could be used for maps bigger than the 100x80 maps?

Couldn't find a way to get it to read outside those coordinates. I have been breaking down these maps into 30x30 maps for a tourney I am setting up (need at least 64 of them!), taking screen shots of the maps and setting up links form an overall operational map. Actually looks pretty good and seems to work well.

These big makes make up 6 of the smaller ones, very time consuming (but then most ART is :-)

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2001 9:48 pm
by Don
Hi guys,

If you go into the editor, hit "custom" under maps and put in the number "10", then you can make a 100x240 map, which I believe is the biggest allowed.

I will send you guys those docs, and I hope to get some permanent tutorial stuff done on using Chandla's programs.

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2001 9:55 pm
by Gallo Rojo
Originally posted by Don:
You can use WAWMAP to make smaller maps out of bigger ones, and place a small one inside a larger one. You would make your large map and then break it up using coordinates so it would be the size you want. I have 2 text docs copied from posts of guys who knew what they were doing - if you want I'll send them to you.
Would you please send it to me also? Thanks.

And... Is there a way to “cut” a big map into smaller ones?

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2001 11:58 pm
by Don
How about if I just do this - post the two documents right here, and everyone can just copy and paste them into a text doc like I did. Here they are - these were posts to the forum, but I didn't keep the names of the poster's so I can't give proper credit.

Copying and Pasting Map Sections in WAWMAP

1. Go into SPWAW and save a blank map that is the size you want your new map to be.

2. Load WAW MAP

3. File: Set shp directory...Open shp files in SPWAW and load Ter04z0.shp

4. Click on LOAD WAW Map and open your map folder in SPWAW, then load the map that you saved; your map should be on-screen.

5. Find the upper left and lower right map coordinates of the piece of whatever SPWAW map that you want to copy.

6. Go to Load-copy to clipboard and input those coordinates, then hit copy.

7. Load your new blank map.

8. hit tools-paste from clipboard, and input the upper left coordinate on your new map where you want your copied portion of your other map to go, then paste (make sure these coordinates are even numbers).

9. Your pasted piece won't immediately show up. Browse your map a bit and let the program load the correct icons.

It is very simple once you get the hang of it. It's like Shpedit. It just takes a bit of time to get the correct steps down. But once you've learned, it opens up a whole new world. I never would have attempted to reproduce a village, for example, on another map. Now, its so simple, its almost a crime!
---------------------------------------------

How to make smaller maps.
1. create normal map in SPWAW game editor and save.
2. open Chlanda's map editor and load your map from SPWAW "Map" folder. *note you must remember what slot number you saved it to.
3. GO to "options, Inspection mode" a window will appear.
4. on the bottom right you will see the size of the map.
5 just change those numbers to the size you want than hit the "retain button"
6.Once you hit the retain button ( you dont have to wait) go to "files and save the game file. * note you must save map as"pzmapxx" x being map file number. If this is a new map from a saved map and you want the orignal map to still be saved nake sure you save the new map to a blank file number.
7. Go to SPWAW editor and load your map. Now if this is a new map you saved from a orginal the spot will have no name but the map is there. just open it and than save with a name.
---------------------------------------------

I hope these help you guys - they got me going on using WAWMAP in a limited fashion anyway! ;)

Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2001 12:42 am
by Gallo Rojo
Great info Don, thanks.

Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2001 1:18 am
by Paul Lakowski
You can make maps as big as 5 x 8kms ???

HOw do they show up on the screen?

Thats divisional size!!

Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2001 1:51 am
by DoubleDeuce
Originally posted by Paul Lakowski:
You can make maps as big as 5 x 8kms ???

HOw do they show up on the screen?

Thats divisional size!!
They show up as one large map. You will have to scroll to get around to view all of it. In the map overview box in the lower right corner of your screen you can click on the little green buttons at the upper and lower left to scroll a whole (100x80) sheet. The little button on the top right of the little overview box is the VCR replay button.

Someone please ocrrect me if I a wrong on this (I am at work and doing it from memory).

Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2001 3:01 am
by ruxius
Thank you Don , great solution to put e'thing here..if you know some other documentation for beginners about Chlanda please write here and you will be our benefactor !!!

Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2001 3:13 am
by Kharan
Originally posted by Paul Lakowski:
You can make maps as big as 5 x 8kms ???

HOw do they show up on the screen?

Thats divisional size!!
Isn't the max size 5 X 12 km's? You can get 13 kilometers of depth if you use the map diagonally (deploy in the corners).

Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2001 3:21 am
by Paul Lakowski
Originally posted by Kharan:
Isn't the max size 5 X 12 km's? You can get 13 kilometers of depth if you use the map diagonally (deploy in the corners).
Thats 100 x 240 ÷ 20 = 5 x 12km ...your right, thanks Eric!.

Can this be sectioned of into seperate maps ?

I find that battles often do develope in depth , as one side tries to break through and the other tries to counter attack the extended flank...this is where Mech inf come into there own!

Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2001 7:10 am
by Don
Thank you Don , great solution to put e'thing here..if you know some other documentation for beginners about Chlanda please write here and you will be our benefactor !!!
Hi Ruxius - I am working on getting more documentation for these programs from some of the guys here who can use WAWMAP and WAWED. I myself know pitifully little about them and hope we can get them so we all can learn! :)

Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2001 4:29 pm
by ruxius
Bravo ! That programs may be very powerfull if only we can use them without going crazy !
Thanks for your effort !

Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2001 7:20 pm
by Kharan
Originally posted by Paul Lakowski:
Thats 100 x 240 ÷ 20 = 5 x 12km ...your right, thanks Eric!.

Can this be sectioned of into seperate maps ?
No problem, but who's Eric? :cool: My name's Jaakko.

Map sectioning can probably be done with Chlanda's WAWmap.

Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2001 4:54 am
by David boutwell
Gentlemen,

If you'll look in Tankhead's maps section, you'll see several linked maps that I created using WAWMAP. I first created the map of the area centered on Wardin (east of Bastogne). Then, using WAWMAP, I cut part of that map and pasted into the western edge of a new map, which became the Longvilly area map. By repeating this process several times, I successfully linked all of the battlefields around Bastogne. I believe that the first set of instructions that Don posted are mine. I'd be glad, time allowing, to assist anyone who has any questions. My email is boutwell@erols.com.

David Boutwell

Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2001 8:16 am
by DoubleDeuce
Originally posted by David boutwell:
I cut part of that map and pasted into the western edge of a new map, which became the Longvilly area map. By repeating this process several times, I successfully linked all of the battlefields around Bastogne
David Boutwell
Thats kinda how I been doing mine for a tourney I'm setting up. I need 64 maps though. I think Fred's map program only allows for the 100x80 maps as that is all I have been able to get to show up. By using 30x30 maps this gives me at least 6 per big map. Would love to get a 100x240 map in there, that would get me about 24 maps :D Save alot of time that way.