Page 1 of 1

How do tenders work?

Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:13 pm
by Huskalator
I am really don't understand how they work and what is the point of them. What are the rules regarding them?

For example what is the point of destroyer tenders? Why not just refuel and reload at the nearest base?

I never used them in UV and I didn't feel like I missed anything. There seems to be a lot so whats their use?

RE: How do tenders work?

Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:15 pm
by pompack
Destroyer and CA/.CL torps can only be re-loaded at a size 8 or higher port; those are a little sparse in the forward areas.

An AD will take care of torps for all non-PT surface forces

RE: How do tenders work?

Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:19 pm
by Huskalator
Ohhhhhh, ok.

Do ADs have to meet the DDs at a base or can it be any friendly hex?

RE: How do tenders work?

Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:24 pm
by pompack
pp 186 "...AD ship and a base with sufficient supplies."

I assume (but I don't know) that "sufficient supplies" means 2X need (no red numbers).

RE: How do tenders work?

Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:25 pm
by ZOOMIE1980
ORIGINAL: pompacl

pp 186 "...AD ship and a base with sufficient supplies."

I assume (but I don't know) that "sufficient supplies" means 2X need (no red numbers).

20,000

RE: How do tenders work?

Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:46 pm
by foliveti
I thought 20,000 supplies was the alternative to having an AD and that sufficient supplies meant sufficient supplies for the load out. I was having trouble understanding that provision so Zoomie could be right.

RE: How do tenders work?

Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:05 pm
by ZOOMIE1980
ORIGINAL: foliveti

I thought 20,000 supplies was the alternative to having an AD and that sufficient supplies meant sufficient supplies for the load out. I was having trouble understanding that provision so Zoomie could be right.

I don't have the manual here, but I recall reading that to get refits of things like torpedos for a destroyer, mines for mine layer, etc.. you have to go to a base of size 8 or greater OR a base that has the right tender ship AND has at least 20,000 in supplies. Not a big deal early on, but as the war progresses and the Allies bagin to recapture bases, very few, if any, will be size 8+ ports. That's when, I believe, tenders will get to be important. It keeps you from having to dog it all the way back to PH or Sydney or such to get a new load of mines....

RE: How do tenders work?

Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:08 pm
by hithere
Does the computer controlled subs for the allies..(or Japan for that matter) reconize if, say, Wake has a AS? or does it still go to the further, bigger ports?

RE: How do tenders work?

Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:46 pm
by dwesolick
I'm having one problem with an AS tender (in good condition) that I have parked in Darwin (port size 5, 24k supplies, no damage). I can't get subs to take on torps in Darwin even with the AS there. What am I doing wrong? They take torps fine in Brisbane (port size 8, with an AS), but not Darwin.[&:]

Darwin will soon be a size 6 port, so I'll try again then.

BTW, and a bit off topic, but whoever thought of showing fuel and torp level when you simply move the cursor over the sub tf is a genious! In UV I found sub ops tedious and boring (and hence lost lots of subs for little gain due mainly to neglect), but in WitP it is one of the most enjoyable aspects of the game.

RE: How do tenders work?

Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:50 pm
by pompack
I just re-supplied a sub at Derby and the torps loaded back to 100%. Derby is a size 4 port with 14,827 supply and 2 AS present.

RE: How do tenders work?

Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:56 pm
by Brady
SO PT's nead What Kind of Tender? I thought An AD would work for them?

RE: How do tenders work?

Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:57 pm
by Mr.Frag
SO PT's nead What Kind of Tender? I thought An AD would work for them?

Nope, PT boats need a PT tender. (who'd have thought it eh?) [:D]

RE: How do tenders work?

Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:06 pm
by Brady
Doh[:)]

RE: How do tenders work?

Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:11 pm
by Gyrene
AGP. You guys are hilarious sometimes...

RE: How do tenders work?

Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:57 pm
by Xargun
ORIGINAL: pompacl

I just re-supplied a sub at Derby and the torps loaded back to 100%. Derby is a size 4 port with 14,827 supply and 2 AS present.

AS will supply torps to SUBS ONLY - not surface ships..

Xargun

RE: How do tenders work?

Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:02 pm
by Mr.Frag
AS will supply torps to SUBS ONLY - not surface ships..

Correct, but they do not supply mines. A MLE is required or a size 9 port for the loading of mines onto submarines