Page 1 of 2

I need to be relieved of command

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:19 am
by rawink
yup.. I officially suck

After surviving Pearl Harbor on opening day with NO lost BB's.. I manged to send 6 damaged BB's to San Fran safely.. and ship 2 more to Australia!!

My carriers escourted a huge Task Force to Noumea.. and I reinforced Rabual with a full US INFDIV!

man was I doing great!.. then my Intel weenies told me there was a Jap CVL inbound to Rabual with a few DD's and AP's.. so what do you do?

I sent the Sara, the Lex and the Enterprise after the poor hapless CVL.. figured it would be the Shoho.. it's December 29.. about time..

the single CVL? turned out to be the Hiryu, the Kaga, Akagi and the Soryu.. freaking MIDWAY! 6 months early and in the wrong place.. but still.. 4 on 3.. I should do ok..

Well Buffalos are no match for experienced Zero's.. 1 or 2 bomb hits on each Jap carrier.. I lost the Enterprise and the Lexington.. and the Saratoga is 55% Sys damaged and headed for Brisbane..

what a complete charlie foxtrot!! [:@][:@][:@]

The hornet is still 30 days out.. the PACIFIC OCEAN is now a Japanesse lake..

RE: I need to be relieved of command

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:29 am
by doktor1957
Sigh...on Dec. 8th I sent out 3 ASW task forces, hoping to bag some of the IJN subs operating around Oahu. I forgot (how could I?) about the IJN strike force that had just stomped Pearl Harbor. Three tin cans were the target of a brutal 100+ unit airstrike. It was awful to see, but, like a train wreck, I couldn't look away.

Dave
San Diego

RE: I need to be relieved of command

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:51 am
by von Murrin
LOL

We all learn the hard way at one time or other. Don't give op on the botched game, though. The best games I played were the ones in UV where I managed to screw myself early.[:)]

RE: I need to be relieved of command

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:52 am
by Mr.Frag
Bah, trivial scratch, you'll get them back ... look at your replacement ships [:D]

RE: I need to be relieved of command

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:56 am
by freeboy
My first ph attack had my cvs headed toward midway when a lone us cv jumped my carriers.. which I had split into two action groups.. I had forgotten to set my airgroups to naval and my fighters to cap ggcb( good grief Charlie Brown) but since I'm officially learning I shruged and was happy this wasn't a pbem game [:-]

RE: I need to be relieved of command

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:47 am
by Pascal_slith
ORIGINAL: rawink

yup.. I officially suck

After surviving Pearl Harbor on opening day with NO lost BB's.. I manged to send 6 damaged BB's to San Fran safely.. and ship 2 more to Australia!!

My carriers escourted a huge Task Force to Noumea.. and I reinforced Rabual with a full US INFDIV!

man was I doing great!.. then my Intel weenies told me there was a Jap CVL inbound to Rabual with a few DD's and AP's.. so what do you do?

I sent the Sara, the Lex and the Enterprise after the poor hapless CVL.. figured it would be the Shoho.. it's December 29.. about time..

the single CVL? turned out to be the Hiryu, the Kaga, Akagi and the Soryu.. freaking MIDWAY! 6 months early and in the wrong place.. but still.. 4 on 3.. I should do ok..

Well Buffalos are no match for experienced Zero's.. 1 or 2 bomb hits on each Jap carrier.. I lost the Enterprise and the Lexington.. and the Saratoga is 55% Sys damaged and headed for Brisbane..

what a complete charlie foxtrot!! [:@][:@][:@]

The hornet is still 30 days out.. the PACIFIC OCEAN is now a Japanesse lake..

Who's CINCPAC? Blame it on him! [:D][:D]

RE: I need to be relieved of command

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:13 pm
by The Gnome
Ouch I did the ASW thing on Dec 8. Thought the strike force was out of range - I thought wrong, a DMS and 4 DD were plastered.

RE: I need to be relieved of command

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:30 pm
by ZOOMIE1980
I keep getting the Regulus sunk. That's an AP the sits at Midway, that I usually try and recover to SF. I forget to wait until that PH attack group is further back to Japan. They whack the poor thing every time....

RE: I need to be relieved of command

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:31 pm
by Grotius
LoL, rawink, I hope you stick with it! The way I see it, the IJN and the AI both need all the help they can get, so an early reverse-Midway should give you just the right level of challenge.

I'm actually kinda rooting for the IJN AI to kick my butt in my own game, which is all the way to December 9, 1941 now. So far it's accommodating me quite nicely. E.g., I rather nonchalantly decided to move some shipping out of the Phillippines before the Japanese aircraft arrived. Hehe, I discovered to my chagrin that the aircraft already had arrived, on the deck of an aircraft carrier. [;)] Scratch, um, 8 transports, an AV, and a couple other auxiliaries.

RE: I need to be relieved of command

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:33 pm
by Deathifier
I lost a bunch of Dutch + British CA's, CL's and DD's to what some coastwatcher said was one enemy CA at Kuching (Borneo), where the AI Jap had landed a few days ago.

Figured it was just an AP/AK group still unloading.

The overconfident surface fleet arrives and what do they find? Some BB's, CA's, CL's and DD's that numbered about 1.5 times their number.

*Everything* sank, and a sub missed the BB I damaged as it went back for repairs :(


I was also doing a recovery op in the PI (one of those base force + PA div's on an island).
Going fine, 3AP's loaded up, covered by a whole pile of dutch/british/aussie CA, CL's and DD's in 2 TF's (that had been chasing all the little Jap TF's landing around the place).

What rocks up? 3 CV's, from the South, where I believe they were responsible for sinking an AP moving to pickup the poor guys being kicked around at Rabul (3 dead AP's later and the INF div is there, missing most of its men, waiting for the next AP to arrive and a DD to sink a sub).

Now there is one surface combat TF left, which has been turned into a fast transport TF to save the 27 men of the base force who's transport sank (the other two with the PA div survived long enough to unload, but they only made it to Colo(?) Is. and now a Dutch air transport unit is going to try and move them).

So don't worry, everyone screws things up ;)

- Deathifier

RE: I need to be relieved of command

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:33 pm
by rawink
well, I have managed to reinforce shortlands and rabaul.. it is strong enough now to make the Japanese really PAY to take either of them from me, and I am slowly building up the air wings. Yes it cost me 2 carriers sunk and 1 out of action for awhile.. but I now have the British fleet arriving with 2 BB's a BC, CVL, and assorted CA's and DD's at Nomeau. Plus 3 US BB's from PH that escaped damage on 12/7 .. any serious efforts by the Japanesse to invade the solomons or new guinea will cost them.. and with the LBA beginning to come on line in the area, the carrier threat is becoming minimal. I am very concerned now about the central pacfic without my carriers to defend anything..

plus I have stripped my heavy land units and air wings from everywhere to build up the SW Pacific..

time will tell.. If I can hold what I have.. I will be fine since I will out produce the Japs.. afterall.. the Pacific war is a waiting game for the allies.. the longer I hold them off the stronger I get. I may be ok losing those carriers in the long run since it will deny the Japanesse Rabual and the Solomons.

RE: I need to be relieved of command

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:37 pm
by Grouchy
Playing Japan. I took Lunga some 14 days ago in my game.
AI probally went in berzerk mode when I took it. Couple of days later the US version of KB showed up around it followed by troop transports.

Well, you can guess it....it's now 14/2/1942 in my game and I just managed to loose Lunga (Gudacanal) already to a bunch of Kiwi's.

RE: I need to be relieved of command

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:45 pm
by ZOOMIE1980
ORIGINAL: Grouchy

Playing Japan. I took Lunga some 14 days ago in my game.
AI probally went in berzerk mode when I took it. Couple of days later the US version of KB showed up around it followed by troop transports.

Well, you can guess it....it's now 14/2/1942 in my game and I just managed to loose Lunga (Gudacanal) already to a bunch of Kiwi's.


Well, I have to say, all this is encouraging. It appears the AI has at least some minimally "intelligent" reactive capacity. More than I actually had hoped for.
well, I have managed to reinforce shortlands and rabaul.. it is strong enough now to make the Japanese really PAY to take either of them from me, and I am slowly building up the air wings. Yes it cost me 2 carriers sunk and 1 out of action for awhile.. but I now have the British fleet arriving with 2 BB's a BC, CVL, and assorted CA's and DD's at Nomeau. Plus 3 US BB's from PH that escaped damage on 12/7 .. any serious efforts by the Japanesse to invade the solomons or new guinea will cost them.. and with the LBA beginning to come on line in the area, the carrier threat is becoming minimal. I am very concerned now about the central pacfic without my carriers to defend anything..

And that's quite a haul in moving the British Far Eastern Fleet all the way to the South Pacific. You muct have grabbed one or more of those Aussie INF divisions on the continent to reinforce with? I'm wondering if the AI will detect that and make you pay by eventually landing in Darwin, Broome, or Cooktown......I know I would if I thought you had stripped some of the "home defense force".

RE: I need to be relieved of command

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:12 pm
by BoerWar
RE: I need to be relieved of command (in reply to Grouchy)




quote:

ORIGINAL: Grouchy

Playing Japan. I took Lunga some 14 days ago in my game.
AI probally went in berzerk mode when I took it. Couple of days later the US version of KB showed up around it followed by troop transports.

Well, you can guess it....it's now 14/2/1942 in my game and I just managed to loose Lunga (Gudacanal) already to a bunch of Kiwi's.



Well, I have to say, all this is encouraging. It appears the AI has at least some minimally "intelligent" reactive capacity. More than I actually had hoped for.

The AI hasn't shown well at times in my game so far. The U.S. AI had the heroic Enterprise attempt to single handedly chase down my PH strike group as it retired to Japan. It got one bomb hit on the Akagi. In return the Big E and several CA and DD now litter the ocean floor NW of Midway. Other than that things are going as expected.

RE: I need to be relieved of command

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:37 pm
by byron13
ORIGINAL: doktor1957

Sigh...on Dec. 8th I sent out 3 ASW task forces, hoping to bag some of the IJN subs operating around Oahu. I forgot (how could I?) about the IJN strike force that had just stomped Pearl Harbor. Three tin cans were the target of a brutal 100+ unit airstrike. It was awful to see, but, like a train wreck, I couldn't look away.

Dave
San Diego

Same thing happened to me - only it was a Wake Island relief force. I lost three CL's and three DD's. What a dumb mistake - of course KB might still be in the area!!! I keep needing to remind myself to play as if I'm playing against an unpredictable human . . .

RE: I need to be relieved of command

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:42 pm
by The Gnome
what a complete charlie foxtrot!!

I think Charlie Foxtrot is running the show in my campaign! lol

RE: I need to be relieved of command

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:25 pm
by Charles2222
ORIGINAL: Deathifier

I lost a bunch of Dutch + British CA's, CL's and DD's to what some coastwatcher said was one enemy CA at Kuching (Borneo), where the AI Jap had landed a few days ago.

Figured it was just an AP/AK group still unloading.

The overconfident surface fleet arrives and what do they find? Some BB's, CA's, CL's and DD's that numbered about 1.5 times their number.

*Everything* sank, and a sub missed the BB I damaged as it went back for repairs :(


I was also doing a recovery op in the PI (one of those base force + PA div's on an island).
Going fine, 3AP's loaded up, covered by a whole pile of dutch/british/aussie CA, CL's and DD's in 2 TF's (that had been chasing all the little Jap TF's landing around the place).

What rocks up? 3 CV's, from the South, where I believe they were responsible for sinking an AP moving to pickup the poor guys being kicked around at Rabul (3 dead AP's later and the INF div is there, missing most of its men, waiting for the next AP to arrive and a DD to sink a sub).

Now there is one surface combat TF left, which has been turned into a fast transport TF to save the 27 men of the base force who's transport sank (the other two with the PA div survived long enough to unload, but they only made it to Colo(?) Is. and now a Dutch air transport unit is going to try and move them).

So don't worry, everyone screws things up ;)

- Deathifier

And that was one of 'your' coastalwatchers?

RE: I need to be relieved of command

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:37 pm
by Charles2222
ORIGINAL: BoerWar
RE: I need to be relieved of command (in reply to Grouchy)




quote:

ORIGINAL: Grouchy

Playing Japan. I took Lunga some 14 days ago in my game.
AI probally went in berzerk mode when I took it. Couple of days later the US version of KB showed up around it followed by troop transports.

Well, you can guess it....it's now 14/2/1942 in my game and I just managed to loose Lunga (Gudacanal) already to a bunch of Kiwi's.



Well, I have to say, all this is encouraging. It appears the AI has at least some minimally "intelligent" reactive capacity. More than I actually had hoped for.

The AI hasn't shown well at times in my game so far. The U.S. AI had the heroic Enterprise attempt to single handedly chase down my PH strike group as it retired to Japan. It got one bomb hit on the Akagi. In return the Big E and several CA and DD now litter the ocean floor NW of Midway. Other than that things are going as expected.

You may be a bit perplexed to learn of some sort of rule I read whereas any US CV lost beofre '44 I think, get's replaced with an Essex class CV. I don't know if the new one shows the next day or what. So, when you think they were foolish to do such a thing just remember militarily the loss was minimal.

RE: I need to be relieved of command

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:05 pm
by Pascal_slith
ORIGINAL: BoerWar
RE: I need to be relieved of command (in reply to Grouchy)




quote:

ORIGINAL: Grouchy

Playing Japan. I took Lunga some 14 days ago in my game.
AI probally went in berzerk mode when I took it. Couple of days later the US version of KB showed up around it followed by troop transports.

Well, you can guess it....it's now 14/2/1942 in my game and I just managed to loose Lunga (Gudacanal) already to a bunch of Kiwi's.



Well, I have to say, all this is encouraging. It appears the AI has at least some minimally "intelligent" reactive capacity. More than I actually had hoped for.

The AI hasn't shown well at times in my game so far. The U.S. AI had the heroic Enterprise attempt to single handedly chase down my PH strike group as it retired to Japan. It got one bomb hit on the Akagi. In return the Big E and several CA and DD now litter the ocean floor NW of Midway. Other than that things are going as expected.

Halsey's aggressiveness is to blame!

RE: I need to be relieved of command

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:19 pm
by mavraam
I'm quickly getting to the point where I assume every spotted lone Japanese DD is really a 4 CV task force with 300+ planes. This of course causes its own problems.

I'm affraid to leave port!!! [X(]