Page 1 of 1

Name This...(119)

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:39 am
by Brady
???






Image

RE: Name This...(119)

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:40 am
by Arnir
Spitfire Mk. something. XVI?

RE: Name This...(119)

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:47 am
by Raverdave
RNZAF Spit.

RE: Name This...(119)

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:58 am
by Arnir
Maybe a Mark VIII.

RE: Name This...(119)

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:03 am
by PBYPilot
A Seafire, maybe Mk. XV?

PBYPilot
"Slow airplanes and fast women"

RE: Name This...(119)

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:09 am
by Arnir
Yes, you are right, I think. A Seafire (Sea Spitfire) but I'm not sure what Mk.

RE: Name This...(119)

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:18 am
by PBYPilot
Or maybe a Mk. FIII

PBYPilot
"Slow airplanes and fast women"

RE: Name This...(119)

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:22 am
by Delphinium
Something that keeps us from playing WitP ?

RE: Name This...(119)

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:05 am
by Ron Saueracker
Most beautiful piston plane ever built? No question![:D]

No bullshiit Mustang fanboys need comment!!!![;)]

RE: Name This...(119)

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:48 am
by JamesM
Griffon engined Mk XIV?

RE: Name This...(119)

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:20 am
by Raverdave
Yeah it is a Griffon engined Spit......I am not convinced that it is a Seafire. It's not the MkXII as that had the "C" wing (Clipped wing) so I would have to guess at it being the Mk XIV

RE: Name This...(119)

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:22 am
by Ron Saueracker
ORIGINAL: Raverdave

Yeah it is a Griffon engined Spit......I am not convinced that it is a Seafire. It's not the MkXII as that had the "C" wing (Clipped wing) so I would have to guess at it being the Mk XIV

Griffon because of squared top of cowling?[8D] Bigger engine than Merlin it would appear.

RE: Name This...(119)

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:00 pm
by PBYPilot
ORIGINAL: Raverdave

Yeah it is a Griffon engined Spit......I am not convinced that it is a Seafire. It's not the MkXII as that had the "C" wing (Clipped wing) so I would have to guess at it being the Mk XIV

So what's the tailhook for, then? Banner towing?[:D]

[font="Tahoma"]SURRENDER, DOROTHY![/font]

PBYPilot
"Slow airplanes and fast women"

RE: Name This...(119)

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:12 pm
by PBYPilot
ORIGINAL: PBYPilot

[font="Tahoma"]SURRENDER, DOROTHY![/font]

Never mind, that was skywriting, not banner towing.

But it was Oz! [:D]

PBYPilot
"Slow airplanes and fast women"

RE: Name This...(119)

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:14 pm
by Raverdave
ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker
ORIGINAL: Raverdave

Yeah it is a Griffon engined Spit......I am not convinced that it is a Seafire. It's not the MkXII as that had the "C" wing (Clipped wing) so I would have to guess at it being the Mk XIV

Griffon because of squared top of cowling?[8D] Bigger engine than Merlin it would appear.


Correct....notice the bulges just about the exhausts.

RE: Name This...(119)

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:21 pm
by Raverdave
ORIGINAL: PBYPilot
ORIGINAL: PBYPilot

[font="Tahoma"]SURRENDER, DOROTHY![/font]

Never mind, that was skywriting, not banner towing.

But it was Oz! [:D]

PBYPilot
"Slow airplanes and fast women"

Piss-weak looking tail hook.

RE: Name This...(119)

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:31 pm
by Ron Saueracker
I hope that is not a tail hook!!! Superlative plane but that tail hook is ridiculous, if that what it is. Poor bastards...[X(]

RE: Name This...(119)

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:37 pm
by Cap Mandrake
ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

Most beautiful piston plane ever built? No question![:D]

No bullshiit Mustang fanboys need comment!!!![;)]

They both are beautiful [:D] The Spit has sublime lines...especially the wings. The Mustang has that fantastic, testosterone-charged, air-inlet, canopy and vertical stabilizer.

RE: Name This...(119)

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:04 pm
by Bart_Breedyk
Bah, you fighter jocks!

Gimme an A-26 Invader and just TRY to argue with 8 - 18 50 calibre machine guns

[:)]

RE: Name This...(119)

Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:53 am
by Brady
Seafire MK XV, it is[:)]


It is, 802 sqdn.

Pictured Ceylon, late 45.