Page 1 of 2
Do you control Subs or let AI?
Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:44 pm
by geozero
Was playing last night and set 1 lonely sub as human controlled, ordered it to attack shipping at a landing point in the Philippines, and that 1 lonely sub has severly damaged 4 ships in as many days.
When compared to the other dozens of AI controlled subs which have done nothing but cruise around, does it make sense to control ALL subs?
How do you do it? Do you control subs or let AI?
RE: Do you control Subs or let AI?
Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:47 pm
by daft
I control all subs and take noted on where my subs encounter convoys. So far I've been pretty successful, but the American torpedoe issue is hampering the effort. I guess it can be somewhat of a chore to manage all the subs manually, but I've always been interested in the Silent Service so in the end it's worth the extra effort.

RE: Do you control Subs or let AI?
Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:53 pm
by freeboy
I really enjoy the positioning of my subs... but ouch when those bad enemy subs put fish in the sides of my poor defenseless aks
RE: Do you control Subs or let AI?
Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:57 pm
by Nikademus
never trust a machine to do a man's job [;)]
RE: Do you control Subs or let AI?
Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:37 pm
by siRkid
Heck, Sub warfare and ASW are games within themselves. I always control them.
RE: Do you control Subs or let AI?
Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:57 pm
by Toro
I always control them, too. Just check their status every so often (or after they've been depth-charged) and send 'em home when they run low on fuel. In UV, I tried the computer control thing once, but found my subs constantly wandering off from where I wanted them.
RE: Do you control Subs or let AI?
Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:01 pm
by Ron Saueracker
ORIGINAL: Kid
Heck, Sub warfare and ASW are games within themselves. I always control them.
Bang on![8D]
RE: Do you control Subs or let AI?
Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:27 pm
by The Gnome
I let the AI control them, but am thinking of taking a whack at controlling them now that I'm getting comfortable with the scope of the game.
RE: Do you control Subs or let AI?
Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:56 pm
by von Murrin
Control them yourself. It's really not that much work, and you can mouse-over on your sub TF's to check ammo and endurance.[:)]
RE: Do you control Subs or let AI?
Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:00 pm
by geozero
I have only played 6 days of the game time but now will start controlling all subs. If I can effectively run packs into landing zone areas and damage or sink 1-2 ships per day I think I can really hurt the Japanese effort.
It's Human control now all the way.
RE: Do you control Subs or let AI?
Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:02 pm
by von Murrin
Just keep them in one sub TF's...
RE: Do you control Subs or let AI?
Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:05 pm
by Oliver Heindorf
what I control works !
what others control, doesnt.
simple as that [:o]
RE: Do you control Subs or let AI?
Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:07 pm
by daft
Be verycareful with where you send your subs. They aren't really comfortable in those shallow water hexes.[:-]
RE: Do you control Subs or let AI?
Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:18 pm
by von Murrin
Actually, as long as you keep them out of coastal hexes they won't get excessively clobbered.[:)]
RE: Do you control Subs or let AI?
Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:21 pm
by kaleun
In the gulf of Siam they do tend to "bottom out"
RE: Do you control Subs or let AI?
Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:23 pm
by von Murrin
Move same sub into a coastal hex. Watch sub bottom out. Watch sub die.[:D]
They seem to do FAR worse in coastal hexes. Shallow water isn't nice, but I have them hunt there anyway for the target-rich environment.[:)]
RE: Do you control Subs or let AI?
Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:26 pm
by kaleun
That's right. That's where the ships are.
RE: Do you control Subs or let AI?
Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:26 pm
by Mr.Frag
You guys sound like you are in too big a rush to win the game.
There are tons of deep water areas that will be target rich after the first month or so. Remember that each sub you loose by being hasty is 10-20 merchantmen over the course of the game that will not be sunk. [;)]
RE: Do you control Subs or let AI?
Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:35 pm
by daft
I was a bit careless with my S-class boats in the first week or so, but after loosing two of them plus the Sculpin trying to sink some Japanese invasion shipping in the PI's, I learnt my lesson. Now I have a couple of deep water hexes where the pickings are good, and I never send my subs into coastal hexes.
RE: Do you control Subs or let AI?
Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:47 pm
by von Murrin
ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag
You guys sound like you are in too big a rush to win the game.
There are tons of deep water areas that will be target rich after the first month or so. Remember that each sub you loose by being hasty is 10-20 merchantmen over the course of the game that will not be sunk. [;)]
I've lost one sub and the rest are gaining experience by leaps and bounds. I could care less how many ships I sink right now; I've got roughly 1300 more turns to pave the ocean floor with merchies. [:D]
Experience, experience, and more experience.[:)]