Page 1 of 2
SPWAW ver.5
Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2001 11:55 pm
by Paulus Pak
Hey what's up with version 5? I cant' wait any longer, give it to us! And maybe stop showing infos like "just about to ship". I see this message for a month or something like this. Give a precise date or what? By the way i was very disappointed when it appeared that Mega Compaign would not be downloadable for free. I know that everyone needs money but it's quite a blow for SPWAW fans.
Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2001 12:24 am
by WW2'er
Originally posted by Paulus:
Hey what's up with version 5? I cant' wait any longer, give it to us! And maybe stop showing infos like "just about to ship". I see this message for a month or something like this. Give a precise date or what? By the way i was very disappointed when it appeared that Mega Compaign would not be downloadable for free. I know that everyone needs money but it's quite a blow for SPWAW fans.
Paulus,
Version 5 is coming. I know your anxious to get it and I don't blame you. However, the guys here at Matrix have been as open and honest about it's progress as they can be. They, like you, wish that Version 5 were already out so that they could be working full time on their other future releases. I believe their goal has always been to put out a release that offers many improvements and will be stable and require very few, if any patches. The project is very large and after each revision the game must be tested to see if problems were corrected or if they produced new bugs. Unfortunately, it's not something that can be easily time calculated.
The latest that I know, is that they hope to ship early next week.
As for having the Mega Campaign costing money, you should not be disappointed by this. These funds will allow Matrix Games to survive, and if enough of the first two Mega Campaigns are purchased, redo SPWAW with all new code and graphics to greatly enhance the game.
Please don't forget that there is no such thing as a free lunch. Matrix has worked long and hard to prove their reputation as a company that produces great games and that they care about and listen to gamers. If you purchase the Mega Campaigns (And I greatly encourage you to do so), I don't think you will be disappointed at all!
Sincerely,
WW2'er
Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2001 12:49 am
by ruxius
Mister Paulus...first of all you should have more respect for people who is working hard here...and if they are delaying the release date it's certainly because of their sense of responsability...only in order to make things better and to clear for the best that is possible the code from bugs...
second of all it's not any blow for any 'true' SP supporter...for who is a real SP-supporter this is clear with any more explanation...nevertheless you will have your SPWAW5.0 version for free..and that should be enough for your credits..
Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2001 1:41 am
by Fuerte
Bad manners... but to be honest, I have not ordered the Mega Campaign, yet. I feel a bit shamed about it.

I have assured myself that because I can't play it by e-mail, then I can't have the most fun out of it.
I hope that the next commercial game Matrix releases, Combat Leader, is so good that I am forced to buy it. I have not followed the Combat Leader forum or web pages, I don't know exactly what to expect.
We all are in debt to Matrix after all, having SPWAW for free.
Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2001 2:37 am
by Stuart Millis
If you have access to the internet and you can play SPWAW, why can you not play by email?
Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2001 3:03 am
by A Hobbs
I have to agree with Paulus, i wish matrix would not give us release dates until the game is ready. That said i can't realy complain can i ?
Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2001 7:18 am
by David Heath
Hi Guys
Let me say I sorry about the date changes. This is 100% my doing. Everyone ask us when such and such is going to be released. I do my very best to guess this. As you can see I am a very bad at this. What happens someone finds something at the last second and we want to fix it first. Then test it again etc. I am sure you will find this version very rock solid and full of new features.
Now here is what will happen in order.
A)We will ship out a CD Master to the CD maker
B)He will then burn a gold master and send it to us to approve.
C)We ok the Gold Master and he starts mass producing the CD.
D)They are shipped to our Warehouse and the orders are shipped and packed.
[ April 21, 2001: Message edited by: David Heath ]
Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2001 7:30 am
by Paul Vebber
Stuart - The Mega Camapign, like all Campaigns in SP series games, are only playable against the AI. I think that is what he has referring to.
Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2001 8:15 am
by Redleg
The game is going to be free. I don't think it is going to break my bank to purchase the Mega Campaign. I have spent many times the cost of the Mega Campaign on games I don't play because they don't "measure up".
Reminds me of a party I sponsored once. A beer company donated a keg and I got complaints that there were no free soft drinks..... go figure!

Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2001 8:18 am
by Cirrus
David, no need to be sorry. Actually information that doesn't always be accurate is better than no information at all. I very much appreciate the information you guys have given us from the process of 5.0 and MC. If you follow the forum you guys make an impression that you care about our us and want to keep us informed.
Keep up this good work!
--
Cirrus
[ April 22, 2001: Message edited by: Cirrus ]
Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2001 8:55 am
by tracer
Originally posted by ruxius:
Mister Paulus...first of all you should have more respect for people who is working hard here...and if they are delaying the release date it's certainly because of their sense of responsability...only in order to make things better and to clear for the best that is possible the code from bugs...
second of all it's not any blow for any 'true' SP supporter...for who is a real SP-supporter this is clear with any more explanation...nevertheless you will have your SPWAW5.0 version for free..and that should be enough for your credits..
Looks like Paulus is surrounded...again
Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2001 10:02 am
by Wild Bill
Ah, Paulus! And how are they treating you in the USSR?
In the many years I have been involved to one degree or another with seven wargaming entreprises, MATRIX is the first gaming company to communicate...period...openly, actively.
I've never known of any gaming company to outline its plan, seek the support of gamers in a personal way, be online to answer questions and offer help, to listen and respond to complaints, problems or bugs...and ACTUALLY do something about it.
At least for me this is a first. It is one of the things that makes Matrix Games a very special place to be.
Believe me, no one is more desirous to get this product out to you than we are. Just consider that we are trying very hard to get this thing just right, better than it has ever been. That is the ONLY reason for any delays.
And as for the cost, well, I consider it a pretty good deal: 190 scenarios revised for version 5, 13 campaigns, dozens of maps with new stuff in all categories, the Mega Campaign North Africa with 132 scenarios compiled into a most fascinating play, and a free copy of the much desired SPWAW 5.0 on a CD for ease of installation.
I don't think you're going to find a deal like that anywhere else any time soon.
Thank you for your post. I look forward to seeing more of them, especially helping us field the many questions that come up on SPWAW.
Wild Bill
Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2001 2:12 pm
by BomBeer
And as for the cost, well, I consider it a pretty good deal: 190 scenarios revised for version 5, 13 campaigns, dozens of maps with new stuff in all categories, the Mega Campaign North Africa with 132 scenarios compiled into a most fascinating play, and a free copy of the much desired SPWAW 5.0 on a CD for ease of installation.
I think that's a damn good deal.

I can't wait to get it.
Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2001 2:40 pm
by jackssn
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey what's up with version 5? I cant' wait any longer, give it to us! And maybe stop showing infos like "just about to ship". I see this message for a month or something like this. Give a precise date or what? By the way i was very disappointed when it appeared that Mega Compaign would not be downloadable for free. I know that everyone needs money but it's quite a blow for SPWAW fans.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I worked in the software line for 20 years and know a little about what it takes to test and release the final code. It doesn't happen overnight. Give them a break.
BTB if 20 is too much money for this game I think you should look somewhere else. Try and find a game that is cheeper and you will get what you pay for.
As for me the game is worth 4 times what they are charging.
For the development team keep up the great work.
ETCS(SS) Ret
Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2001 4:45 pm
by Paulus Pak
Well, well what can I say? I was charged by Schwere Panzer Abteilung, equipped with King Tigers. I WAS NOT INTENDING TO UNDERMINE A GREAT ENDEAVOUR OF MATRIX STAFF. SPWAW and other Matrix projects are really great. I was stunned when i played SPWAW for the first time. I understand that every new version needs time to be perfectly prepared. I only meant that when i see information that new version of my favorite war game is about to ship my anxiety grows. After a month it turns into a disappointment. But after all it's sure that Matrix's games are worth of all wait. In the subject of Mega Compaign I was obviously wrong. 20 $ is not a big price for a PERFECT WAR GAME. So, SORRY TO ALL WHO TAKE MY REMARKS AS OFFENSIVE.
PS.
To WILD BILL: I'm not from USSR but from Poland and I appreciate very much your latest scenario "A rock in the flood". I think that in the West polish military achievements are not known.
PS.
I'm thinking about ordering one game. You know which one.
Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2001 5:00 pm
by Warhorse
Apology accepted!!

But on the other hand, we DO understand also anxiety

Thank you for your support.
Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2001 5:41 pm
by Big Bill
I look at all the war game cd's and floopy's that I have aquired over the years, a lot of them $30 to $40 that don't come close to the depth of play of SPWAW. I don't think I'll play anything else but Matrix's versions of Steel Panthers! I'm starting my 3rd game against a human opponent (AmmoSgt) and still am amaized at how complex this game is.
The cost of only $20 por a product of this caliber is hard to believe, But i'm not complaining, keep your overhead down!

Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2001 9:04 pm
by rich12545
I've never played a campaign in my life, liking individual scenarios and I'll probably never play the mega campaign (although one never knows). I ordered more for the game on disk and to support the massive effort put out by Matrix. It is unbelievable and I've never seen anything like it in 20 years of computer wargaming.
Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2001 9:07 pm
by rich12545
And btw, Paulus, when Wild Bill asked how you like the USSR, he was referring to your namesake who was captured and sent there. It was kind of tongue in cheek.
Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2001 9:44 pm
by steel
Von Paulus you escape from Russian side !
Welcome to free world !
Steel.
[ April 22, 2001: Message edited by: steel ]