Page 1 of 2

What are AE Ships good for?

Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:10 am
by incbob
Yes I know they can be used for small calibur ammo replenshment at sea in 1945, but before that what good are they for.
Just another cargo carrier?

RE: What are AE Ships good for?

Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:11 am
by freeboy
not used in ports to replenish?

RE: What are AE Ships good for?

Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:26 am
by Tanaka
i was just trying to figure that out myself. since they will resupply ships at any size port (1-10) and ships resupply at any size port i really dont see the difference. i guess they only become useful in 1945 when they can resupply ships at sea.

im guessing the AE ships have to be loaded with supply for them to work correct???

RE: What are AE Ships good for?

Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:48 am
by GBirkn
According to the manual (p. 187), they do need to be loaded with supply.

RE: What are AE Ships good for?

Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:50 am
by Mr.Frag
They allow big guns to be reloaded in small bases if memory serves. Otherwise you just get the AA level stuff. But I'm in need of sleep, things are getting foggy lately [8|]

RE: What are AE Ships good for?

Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:53 am
by von Murrin
ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

They allow big guns to be reloaded in small bases if memory serves. Otherwise you just get the AA level stuff. But I'm in need of sleep, things are getting foggy lately [8|]

No need to second guess, that's what I understand their primary use to be as well.[;)]

RE: What are AE Ships good for?

Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:55 am
by GBirkn
Here's the manual's language, I haven't tried it out yet myself:
In 1945 or later, a ship may replenish non-torpedo, non-mine ammo that has an effect less than 60 (mostly AA ammunition of 5" size or smaller) if at sea and in the same hex with an AE that is in a replenishment TF. Before 1945 the AE ship will only function if in the same hex as a friendly port with a port value of at least 1.
So I don't think it'll work on the big guns, just AA.

I recall reading in these forums that AEs also replenish CV max sortie points, but I don't see that mentioned in the manual.

RE: What are AE Ships good for?

Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:57 am
by Mr.Frag
I recall reading in these forums that AEs also replenish CV max sortie points, but I don't see that mentioned in the manual.

Yea, the sortie stuff almost got completely dropped from the manual [:D]

RE: What are AE Ships good for?

Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:01 am
by Tanaka
ORIGINAL: GBirkn

Here's the manual's language, I haven't tried it out yet myself:
In 1945 or later, a ship may replenish non-torpedo, non-mine ammo that has an effect less than 60 (mostly AA ammunition of 5" size or smaller) if at sea and in the same hex with an AE that is in a replenishment TF. Before 1945 the AE ship will only function if in the same hex as a friendly port with a port value of at least 1.
So I don't think it'll work on the big guns, just AA.

I recall reading in these forums that AEs also replenish CV max sortie points, but I don't see that mentioned in the manual.


Hmmm do large surface ships and carriers only have to be in a size 1 port to resupply ammo and sortie points??? If so then the only good an AE ship would do you would be in a dot base or base with 0 port size. Otherwise they seem useless until 1945 with sea resupply.

RE: What are AE Ships good for?

Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:00 am
by gunnergoz
I think you'll be very glad to have them in any TF near the home islands during the heydays of the kamikazes...AA ammo will be at a premium and you won't be happy to run out of it while sitting on that as-yet unconquered Japanese-held atoll or island, while the Sons of Heaven are busy buzzing your fleet.

RE: What are AE Ships good for?

Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:10 am
by Larz6235
Much like a replenishment TF, except for Ammo. [:)]

RE: What are AE Ships good for?

Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:36 am
by Tanaka
ORIGINAL: Larz6235

Much like a replenishment TF, except for Ammo. [:)]


Not until 1945 [:(]

RE: What are AE Ships good for?

Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:30 pm
by freeboy
o
Hmmm do large surface ships and carriers only have to be in a size 1 port to resupply ammo and sortie points??? If so then the only good an AE ship would do you would be in a dot base or base with 0 port size. Otherwise they seem useless until 1945 with sea resupply

ok as I see it they,ae, supply in 42 43 44 etc at small ports that DO NOT supply large callibre shells /torps to ships. lets see if I can get the manual reference... ok maybe this is anouther hidden rule.. couldn't find.. my marbles or anything else in that manual...

RE: What are AE Ships good for?

Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:48 pm
by Captain Cruft
As I read it they allow you to replenish TFs with AA ammo at ports without fuel. A normal replenishment TF (carrying fuel) won't do this.

RE: What are AE Ships good for?

Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:50 pm
by captskillet
Me thinks you put them in replenishment convoys to give your carriers and surface ships more bullets to shoot.

RE: What are AE Ships good for?

Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:53 pm
by freeboy
Ok.. I think the 8" and larger caliber guns and ship torps do not load when ships which are in ports of a certain size, less than 5? These are two sepperate issue.. ships at sea.. cv groups etc.. and those in ports... can anyone clearify if I have a size 2 port with lots of supply and an AE Can I ressuply and replennish my big guns?

RE: What are AE Ships good for?

Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:58 pm
by Captain Cruft
ORIGINAL: freeboy

Ok.. I think the 8" and larger caliber guns and ship torps do not load when ships which are in ports of a certain size, less than 5? These are two sepperate issue.. ships at sea.. cv groups etc.. and those in ports... can anyone clearify if I have a size 2 port with lots of supply and an AE Can I ressuply and replennish my big guns?

If you "Replenish TF from Port" at any size port containing fuel all your guns will get re-loaded. My theory is that the AE ship allows you to get the same effect (for your smaller guns only) by using "Replenish TF at Sea" whilst at a port with no fuel.

The idea being that when on the offensive you can re-load your AA ammo instantly at whatever port is handy, even one you just invaded. You don't have to wait for tankers to unload.

RE: What are AE Ships good for?

Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:54 pm
by Mark VII
Just to claify.....What is the smallest size port(no AE) in which a CV will replenish sortie points? Does an AE allow you to replenish CV sortie points in a smaller port or even a dot if the AE has enough supply? Thanks...

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag
I recall reading in these forums that AEs also replenish CV max sortie points, but I don't see that mentioned in the manual.

Yea, the sortie stuff almost got completely dropped from the manual [:D]

RE: What are AE Ships good for?

Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:21 pm
by Tanaka
ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

They allow big guns to be reloaded in small bases if memory serves. Otherwise you just get the AA level stuff. But I'm in need of sleep, things are getting foggy lately [8|]

hey Mr. Frag we need your help!!! these are the two lingering questions we that would really help us figure out if AE's are useful or not....

freeboy:

Ok.. I think the 8" and larger caliber guns and ship torps do not load when ships which are in ports of a certain size, less than 5? These are two sepperate issue.. ships at sea.. cv groups etc.. and those in ports... can anyone clearify if I have a size 2 port with lots of supply and an AE Can I ressuply and replennish my big guns?


Mark VII:

Just to claify.....What is the smallest size port(no AE) in which a CV will replenish sortie points? Does an AE allow you to replenish CV sortie points in a smaller port or even a dot if the AE has enough supply? Thanks...

RE: What are AE Ships good for?

Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:26 pm
by Mr.Frag
AE's will handle CV sortie points. Thats what they are there for. I honestly don't remember the port size for big gun ammo. Guess I need to go shoot stuff and see.