Page 1 of 2

My first GGGGRRRHH with Witp

Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:38 pm
by rroberson
Why in the hell do I have to submit my registration number for the patch? So I'm sitting here fat dumb and happy at work with my T-1 connection all ready to download it only to discover I need my registration number to a game that I have the original disk sitting in the hard drive. Come on, its not like the evil hordes of pirates are even willing to steal this game (face it this a game only a grog would love) so what is the sense in making me jump through the hoops to get to the patch? GRRR ARRGGH I guess now I have to wait until I get home to download the patch.

Rob

RE: My first GGGGRRRHH with Witp

Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:40 pm
by Mr.Frag
Why in the hell do I have to submit my registration number for the patch? So I'm sitting here fat dumb and happy at work with my T-1 connection all ready to download it only to discover I need my registration number to a game that I have the original disk sitting in the hard drive. Come on, its not like the evil hordes of pirates are even willing to steal this game (face it this a game only a grog would love) so what is the sense in making me jump through the hoops to get to the patch? GRRR ARRGGH I guess now I have to wait until I get home to download the patch.

I think you pretty much answered your own complaint.

The price tag of NOT having to have the CD in your machine is that you NEED your serial number for patching and installing.

Remember that you can go to http://www.findmyorder.com and look up your serial number [;)]

RE: My first GGGGRRRHH with Witp

Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:43 pm
by hithere
I hear your pain...i hate it also...but look at it this way......to a honest person it is a un nessasary (sp) step...we know we are honest...to a dis honest person...(and there are alot..you would be suprised)...it a reason not to pirate it.

RE: My first GGGGRRRHH with Witp

Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:50 pm
by rroberson
<smiles> I suppose, (though xargun bought and sent me my copy from origins so Im not sure what name he registered it under) I guess its just an irritating level of hoops to jump through for a customer. The more roadblocks you throw up the less likely someone is willing to try to pass through them.

RE: My first GGGGRRRHH with Witp

Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:52 pm
by Ron Saueracker
What's that Japanese game show? Mmx? Jump through plywood![:)]

RE: My first GGGGRRRHH with Witp

Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:54 pm
by PeteG662
I think it is MXC or something like that.....Most Extreme Challenge or something....funny as hell though.

RE: My first GGGGRRRHH with Witp

Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:55 pm
by Mr.Frag
Rob, it's safe to assume that Xargun didn't register *any* of them except his own.

Your serial number/cd set is yours now to register. Price of getting your copy early is that you don't have your serial number online to read [;)]

RE: My first GGGGRRRHH with Witp

Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:56 pm
by rroberson
lol well despite my grrr aarrrgh it was more then worth the price.

Rob

RE: My first GGGGRRRHH with Witp

Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:13 pm
by mogami
Hi, I taped my number to the inside of my box. I just don't have a good enough connection to download yet.

RE: My first GGGGRRRHH with Witp

Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:51 pm
by Bradley7735
I watched that last night. (after I was done playing WITP and my girlfriend made me get off the computer). I just about blew chunks watching that guy try to swing onto the velcro wall. He hit his rump on his takeoff and came just a little bit short of the wall. God that was funny. (you'd have to have seen it)

RE: My first GGGGRRRHH with Witp

Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:28 pm
by Erik Rutins
We'll try to make it more transparent in the future if we can, but for now you do have to know your serial number. Sorry for the inconvenience, Rob.

Regards,

- Erik

RE: My first GGGGRRRHH with Witp

Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:39 pm
by Tenzan
I think it is MXC or something like that.....Most Extreme Challenge or something....funny as hell though.

Actually, it's called Takeshi's castle-One of the millions of 'Beat' Takeshi's shows that maintain his domination over Japanese TV...


Spike TV took it and dubbed their own brand of commentary over it, and renamed it MXC..An incredibly wierd thing to do..


Ok..back to topic-

RE: My first GGGGRRRHH with Witp

Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:40 pm
by Marc von Martial
Takeshi's castle

LOL, I remeber that one [:D]

RE: My first GGGGRRRHH with Witp

Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:58 pm
by rroberson
ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

We'll try to make it more transparent in the future if we can, but for now you do have to know your serial number. Sorry for the inconvenience, Rob.

Regards,

- Erik


No worries, it was just one of those unhappy surprises...Im headed for hour 2 of patch download at home right now [:D]

RE: My first GGGGRRRHH with Witp

Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:56 pm
by ZOOMIE1980
ORIGINAL: rroberson
ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

We'll try to make it more transparent in the future if we can, but for now you do have to know your serial number. Sorry for the inconvenience, Rob.

Regards,

- Erik


No worries, it was just one of those unhappy surprises...Im headed for hour 2 of patch download at home right now [:D]

Just be thankful they haven't gone to the Microsoft software activation scheme where they take a snapshot of your hardware fingerprint and then if you ever buy a new harddrive you have to submit a mathematical proof of a black hole to reinstall your OS.....

RE: My first GGGGRRRHH with Witp

Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:01 pm
by Armybrat
I was unhappy with this too. A bit of a pain. But if it stops pirates, I guess I can live with it...

RE: My first GGGGRRRHH with Witp

Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:05 pm
by bilbow
Certainly better than listening to your CD drive grinding away on your CD month after month.

RE: My first GGGGRRRHH with Witp

Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:51 pm
by mkjhartmann
OK,

this approach does nothing but annoy the paying customer. I believe I paid nearly $80 for this game, and the update process is total BS!

When I try to look up my order/Serial on Digital River I get some HTTP 500 message about the server not understanding my request, and of course the Serial is nowhere to be found in my game.

Booh, shame. Lousy approach!

[:@][:@]

Mike

RE: My first GGGGRRRHH with Witp

Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:55 pm
by DrewMatrix
Your serial number is in the Email (ie not in the game). Look in the Email DR sent you confirming your purchase. It will list an order number and a customer number but also a Serial Number (so labeled). IIRC it has 4 sets of 4 digits per set. The sets have dashes between them.

RE: My first GGGGRRRHH with Witp

Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:59 pm
by Bodhi
ORIGINAL: mkjhartmann

OK,

this approach does nothing but annoy the paying customer. I believe I paid nearly $80 for this game, and the update process is total BS!

When I try to look up my order/Serial on Digital River I get some HTTP 500 message about the server not understanding my request, and of course the Serial is nowhere to be found in my game.

Booh, shame. Lousy approach!

[:@][:@]

Mike

Personally I don't find it a problem, and much better than the CD based copy protection they used before. You only have to enter the registration number once, then all you have to do is remember your password (or wait to have it emailed back to you).

If you don't have a copy of your email receipt from Digital River handy, you can always get your serial # from the registry. It's in the \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific\authorized key.