Page 1 of 1

Hey all/ SPWAW Rules!!

Posted: Tue May 08, 2001 9:19 am
by KDiggity
Hey everyone

Just a few quick notes here. As you all can probably tell, I'm new here. I just downloaded 4.5 a couple of weeks ago, and have been anxious for 5.0 to come out ever since!
Unfortunatly this is finals week for me at the University, so I'm at a bit of an impass as to what to do! (Study or SP? Study or SP? Type 30 page paper or SP?) Needless to say I've been playing a lot so far and loving it.

I'm a history major specializing in world war II, and I love the precision and detail in this game. I'm so glad Matrix did this, seeing as sims (especially hardcore sims) are taking such hits from software producers right now.

One thing I really like about 5.0 is the improved AI purchasing. I kept setting up campaign generators to do a German invasion of Poland (hehehe, I figured I'd start easy), only to be faced with hundreds of small tanks. I was expecting Calvary!!!

That brings me to a small question; when first purchasing units for a campaign, what should I buy? It seems hard for me to pick out a bunch of units that can defend and then attack, or vice versa, let alone for 10 some battles!! I'm just wondering. I'm still losing a lot of tanks to infantry, so I'll be glad when I get better!

One last note. As much as I HATED waiting to download 5 after it was released, I was at the same time extremetly happy that this game has such an enormous and loyal following. After checking this website daily for the past couple of weeks for the v5 update, I could wait the few hours until a spot opened up! :)

Kieran

PS I'll probably be on here a lot now, as I attempt to get better, which will most likely take a looooong time! :D

Posted: Tue May 08, 2001 10:01 am
by Wild Bill
Kieran, glad to have you here. Get those studies done! (and play a little SP for some relazation - :D ).

I usually pick a balanced force to deal with whatever the AI might pick. I found taking for granted what was coming often spelled my doom. A good balance of infantry-armor-artillery will never let you down.

Wild Bill

Posted: Tue May 08, 2001 12:33 pm
by Marder_MatrixForum
Hi Kieran!

=>Unfortunatly this is finals week for me at the University, so I'm at a bit of an impass as to what to do! (Study or SP? Study or SP? Type 30 page paper or SP?) Needless to say I've been playing a lot so far and loving it.

Hey i´m glad to hear that there is another one who is in the same situation!
Since version 5.0 is out my writing for my diploma decrease from day to day! Should be finished in one month, but now i could play SPWAW 24 hours a day!

Marder

Posted: Tue May 08, 2001 2:40 pm
by Warrior
Buy the Mega Campaign CD, then you'll only have to wait for the snail mail (and not risk anything getting corrupted during download, which can be monumentally frustrating). In fact, buy it even if you do get the download! It has the full 5.0 included with the Mega Campaign.

Posted: Tue May 08, 2001 4:06 pm
by lnp4668
He he, just finished all my finals yesterday, stay up all night playing v5 now at work early in the morning, darn, no wonder I have no life :eek:

Posted: Tue May 08, 2001 11:02 pm
by Tsknrdr
I am most probably the only person on this board who was glad that 5.0 and the Mega Campaign were delayed. I've still got finals until thursday. After that my copy of the mega campaign should be here. Gaming goodness awaits at the end of the tunnel.
:D
BTW, where does everyone go to school. I'm at UVa

:cool:

Posted: Wed May 09, 2001 2:34 am
by KDiggity
Hey all,

Thanks for the feedback. If I didn't mention it before, I'm an undergrad at the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities.

Kieran (Still trying to balance studying and Steel Panthers)