Page 1 of 1
Question about skillchecks and development.
Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:50 pm
by aapo
I don't know if this is the right forum, but please bear with me. =)
I'm at loss understanding all the skillchecks and development points.
Performing skillchecks in battle gives you experience in that particular area. Movement exp from movement skillchecks, for example. After a battle you see a table which reads like "104 Movement experience, 58 combat experience, 123 other experience". How does this translate into development points? You know those you can use to enhance your hitting capabilities and that sort in the HQ. I heard intelligence would affect the amount of experience gained, but if someone would explain this in detail, I would appreciate it. =)
RE: Question about skillchecks and development.
Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 5:40 pm
by Sleeping_Dragon
Intellegence don't effect to amount of experience(XPs) you gain. It does however limit the number of skills that your jock can spend development points(DPs) in. (ie. a jock with a 8 Int. may only be able to use DPs in 8 skills, while a jock with 20 Int. can use DPs in all the skills, don't remember the exct numbers for skills for each Int point)
Charisma, while not effecting XPs, will effect the number of XPs you'll need to reach the next rank.
XPs are adjusted by other factors and are converted to DPs on very roughly (10:1?) basis. To tell the truth I'm not sure what all can effect the conversion ration, although I'm pretty sure the size titan your pilioting does. I think this is covered somewhere in the unoffical guide: a dl of the unoffical guide is in the 'sticky' in the main TOS forum.
hope that helps
RE: Question about skillchecks and development.
Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:24 pm
by LarkinVB
ORIGINAL: Sleeping_Dragon
XPs are adjusted by other factors and are converted to DPs on very roughly (10:1?) basis. To tell the truth I'm not sure what all can effect the conversion ration, although I'm pretty sure the size titan your pilioting does. I think this is covered somewhere in the unoffical guide: a dl of the unoffical guide is in the 'sticky' in the main TOS forum.
No No No Sleeping Dragon. Its a fixed 15:1 ratio.
RE: Question about skillchecks and development.
Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:31 pm
by LarkinVB
ORIGINAL: aapo
I don't know if this is the right forum, but please bear with me. =)
I'm at loss understanding all the skillchecks and development points.
This forum is for bug reports. Please use the big general forum for questions like this. Hope you will enjoy your stay with TOS.
RE: Question about skillchecks and development.
Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:33 pm
by aquietfrog
according to the ToS:WS Guide,
Ratio of XP to DP is 15:1
Formula for experience earned for passing skill checks is:
350 - 3 times what you need - what you rolled
This guide I'm reading is old, though, so I don't know if there's any changes since the patches.
Edit: Gah, beaten to it. Btw, for Combat XP, it's modified by weapon type, right?
RE: Question about skillchecks and development.
Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:07 pm
by Sleeping_Dragon
ORIGINAL: LarkinVB
No No No Sleeping Dragon. Its a fixed 15:1 ratio.
I said "very roughly", factor of 10 or so[:D] Didn't have time to look it up then and can never seem to remember that ratio.
Was DP ever modified by titan size? I could have swore I've seen something about titan size and DP... maybe it was somethng I ate[;)]
RE: Question about skillchecks and development.
Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:13 pm
by LarkinVB
ORIGINAL: aquietfrog
Edit: Gah, beaten to it. Btw, for Combat XP, it's modified by weapon type, right?
Yes. There are modifiers. The formula is
375 - 3 * what you need - 1 * what you roll with 15 xps ( = 1 DevP) as the minimum
The modifiers come afterwards. There are lots of them. Xps by weapons for example are divided by either 14, 10 or 7 dependant on weapon class. Weapon class is modified by weapons weight and slots. This is to adjust to the situation that a titan with 3 machine guns shouldn't gather xp much faster than one with only one AC7. The biggest weapons get the divided by 7 mod, the machine gun will get the divided by 14 mod. Will not go into more detail here. There are LOTS of calculations behind the screen with TOS. I can't release it as a pen and paper tactical RPG at all. BattleTech is much easier rule wise.
RE: Question about skillchecks and development.
Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:59 am
by Sleeping_Dragon
ORIGINAL: LarkinVB
Xps by weapons for example are divided by either 14, 10 or 7 dependant on weapon class.
This is what I was thinking of with my previous erronous statement... my bad, sorry[:)]
RE: Question about skillchecks and development.
Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:53 am
by Thorgrim
ORIGINAL: aquietfrog
This guide I'm reading is old, though, so I don't know if there's any changes since the patches.
I've posted the latest version just the other day, in the Titan's map Room subforum.