Page 1 of 1

I'm bombed!!!!!!!!

Posted: Thu May 17, 2001 5:12 pm
by pops
....by my own planes (Typhoons)....I had targeted a Panzer for bombardment by said plane but destroyed it before the plane showed so when the plane showed it bombed me instead....and no I wasn't in the targeted hex....is this a bug or what?
thanks

Posted: Thu May 17, 2001 5:18 pm
by lnp4668
No it is not a bug. Close air support in WW2 is notoriously unreliable. So don't plot airstrike within 5 hexes of your units or the plane may go after your instead.

Posted: Thu May 17, 2001 5:20 pm
by Larry Holt
How close were you to the intended target hex, what was the visability and smoke conditions? Aircraft have always had the possibility of missing their target and firing on friendly units in real life and in SPWAW. If you are close to the intended target and visibility is low, there is a greater chance that the pilot will mistake friendly units for the target.

Posted: Thu May 17, 2001 5:21 pm
by Warrior
I've had my planes go clear across the map to attack my troops (especially my tanks) rather than the enemy. I've concluded that the approach direction is critical for air strikes, and you just have to experiment to get it right.

Posted: Thu May 17, 2001 5:58 pm
by panda124c
Originally posted by REMF:
I've had my planes go clear across the map to attack my troops (especially my tanks) rather than the enemy. I've concluded that the approach direction is critical for air strikes, and you just have to experiment to get it right.
Yea those fly boys don't know squat about vehical id. :D

Posted: Thu May 17, 2001 8:30 pm
by Stukadawg
This is funny.

While playing as Germany in the full WW2 campaign, I was given an assault mission against the French.

The rarity rules only allowed me a single pair of JU87s and frankly, I wanted more. Historical accuracy isn't as important to me as it is to some other people so I decided to borrow some planes from another nationality. American or British planes would have been too unrealistic, even for me :p

So I called upon my Italian allies. They approached from behind my lines and bombed the crap out of my 251s (with my engineers inside). I laughed my butt off because I could always restart the whole mission since I use 3 save slots for a campaign (1 pre-mission, 1 setup, 1 in battle save).

Nonetheless, the effect didn't seem all that unrealistic.

Have Fun,
SD

P.S.: Beautiful paint jobs on those planes.

Posted: Thu May 17, 2001 8:33 pm
by kutalik
Yep,
Definitely historically accurate, probably wasn't too infrequent. If we really wanted to be accurate we'd problem have more so-called friendly fire episodes in the game. Not much fun though.

Posted: Thu May 17, 2001 10:15 pm
by Charles2222
Stukadawg: You got what you deserved! Sounds like the Italian 'Rarity Police' Airforce must paid you a visit.

Posted: Fri May 18, 2001 3:53 am
by Stukadawg
Hi Charles,
I wish you could've heard how hard I laughed.
I'll never do it again...
... or will I?
BW,
SD :D

Posted: Fri May 18, 2001 4:58 am
by Charles2222
Stukadawg: You wouldn't know of a Deputy Dawg would ya? Betcha he sold you out to those Rarity police! And how's Musky?

[ May 17, 2001: Message edited by: Charles_22 ]

Posted: Fri May 18, 2001 7:38 am
by troopie
I've lost men and equipment to friendly fire in SP1, SP2, SP3, SP2WW2, SPWW2 (All versions), and SPWAW (All versions). I've learned to not lean on the barrage too much and set air targets very carefully. Those Blue Boys can't see sh*t and couldn't hit sh*t even if they could see it.

Live with it.

troopie

Posted: Fri May 18, 2001 7:52 am
by David boutwell
Fellow Texans,

Its good to see so many Texans in here! I moved to Virginia from Temple, Texas five years ago. I'm also an Aggie alumn. I get a kick out of getting the Gig 'em from other Aggies, or the bird from those Tea sip (Longhorn) transplants. I give a big "howdy" to anybody I can identify as a Texan native up here.

David Boutwell

Posted: Fri May 18, 2001 8:01 am
by jambo1
Another thing to watch for with air support if you think most or all of the enemy armour is toast, don't request tank busting sorties 'cause the only tanks those boys will see is yours and they'll attack. Sometimes only one burst or they'll break off, but most times with deadly effect. :(