Page 1 of 1

Question About the Editor

Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:37 pm
by Tankerace
I am doing my PLan Orange mod, and am working on the database as we speak. However, I have a few questions.

Seeing as how the mod starts 20 years earlier (even if in spirit, if we can't have a pre PH start date), I have removed all Devices, ship classes, ships, aircraft, etc. The only thing I have yet to remove are the Aircraft Groups (which I will soon) and the Locations, Pilots, and Leaders, all of which I can reuse.

I have the devices for all the ships entered, and 90% of the US and GB ship classes. I tried to make a small test scenario with what I have (far from complete), and it hangs up. When I load it into the scenario editor, I get "Error [0]: Cannot read aircraft datafile". So, I popped in the aircraft data file from another scenario, and still no joy. Is the game written in such a way that NEW data can be added in, but OLD datata cannot be erased? Since in my mod no ship commissioned after 1930 will be available, it is stupid for people to look in the ships database screen of any scenario sing my mod, and see a Yamato sitting right next to a Tosa.

My next question is about the start date. The manual says that you should not set a start date prior to 12/7/41. Does this mean that I absolutely cannot, or if I turn production off (which i will) and other variables I can set it to before 1941?

My third question is on the database editor. Will the game hang if all values are not entered correctly for devices and ship classes? As I said I was running a test scenario with one ship (HMS Dreadnought), but the rest of the classes are either not filled out, or their weapons are not fully defined as yet. Can this cause the game to freeze?

Thanks again.

RE: Question About the Editor

Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:42 pm
by Mr.Frag
Pretty much anything that doesn't line up right can toast a scenario. It's pretty fussy.

There is also something else going on with land units ... have yet to track it down to what causes it to crash, but it will not crash instantly which sounds more like your problem.

RE: Question About the Editor

Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:45 pm
by Tankerace
Wunderbar.

Hrm.... this kinda puts a kink in my plans...

RE: Question About the Editor

Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:36 am
by pry
I have the devices for all the ships entered, and 90% of the US and GB ship classes. I tried to make a small test scenario with what I have (far from complete), and it hangs up. When I load it into the scenario editor, I get "Error [0]: Cannot read aircraft datafile". So, I popped in the aircraft data file from another scenario, and still no joy. Is the game written in such a way that NEW data can be added in, but OLD datata cannot be erased? Since in my mod no ship commissioned after 1930 will be available, it is stupid for people to look in the ships database screen of any scenario sing my mod, and see a Yamato sitting right next to a Tosa.

Did you make a copy of scenario 15 scenario and database files?

the can't open message usually means one of the data base files is missing.

Open scenario 15 with the scenario editor and save into your slot of choice, close scenario editor and open data base editor load scenario 15 and then save into the same slot number. You should now be able to open and make any changes you want to using either editor.

RE: Question About the Editor

Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:53 am
by Tankerace
Odd... everything was there, but now its working again. It still hangs when I try and run the scenario, but I'm guessing that could be caused by the fact that I don't have everything defined yet. Thanks for the tips.