Page 1 of 1

T-28Es in Heros of the Motherland instead of T-34s?

Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:29 am
by Berrik
After getting pounded several times in the opening battle of Heros of the Motherland (due to lack of forces), I looked for a cheaper alternative to the T-34.

In many ways, the T-28E appears to be about as good or even better than the T-34. Of course, it's slow, but it has a ton of front armor and for some reason it often seems to hit more and get more shots than the T-34. Great for defending!

I did lose several to the air attacks in that battle, but I had to max out my tanks, so I just had to grin and bear it.

RE: T-28Es in Heros of the Motherland instead of T-34s?

Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:19 am
by KGrob
I normally see the T28 from the German side. They can be tough opponents.

RE: T-28Es in Heros of the Motherland instead of T-34s?

Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:35 pm
by Poopyhead
If you take nine 107 mm mortars and an FO, you can pretty much walk through the HotM. Don't expect to build a Guard's tank army, you hardly get enough replacement points to stay ahead of losses. I won the last battle with a T-34 in the shop. Good luck!

RE: T-28Es in Heros of the Motherland instead of T-34s?

Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:25 pm
by plloyd
Stick with the T-34s, T-28s don't have the accuracy or the armor. Stay on that big hill at the back. Put some tanks in the woods to the North and behind the ridge in the South. Let the Germans come to you, and they will. If you mix it up in that central valley, you're toast.

RE: T-28Es in Heros of the Motherland instead of T-34s?

Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:59 pm
by Wild Bill
It could be a toss-up herer, but I too favor the T-34. Now if you use the T-28 in a TD role, that might have some merit.

For fast advances and overall armor, plus the hitting power of that 76mm gun, I would still go with the T-34.

When I designed this campaign, the focus was on the fact that the 4th Tank Regiment did use this revolutionary new tank to save Moscow.

But that is the beauty of a campaign. You can rewrite history! You gotta love that!

Wild Bill

RE: T-28Es in Heros of the Motherland instead of T-34s?

Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:42 am
by Maciste
Maybe it's because they are better sloped, but, when I began a Long campaign with soviets (from 1939 on) I found that my Bt-5 had a better chance of surviving than the T-28 when sustaining direct hits... ¡Damn, I even lost t-28s against the Lt-35! :P It's like having Shermans beating by the Italian M11/39

RE: T-28Es in Heros of the Motherland instead of T-34s?

Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:57 pm
by Poopyhead
Bravo, Wild Bill. It was a difficult challenge to find the right mix to get a Decisive Victory against a German force that had everything. My applause to the Maestro!

RE: T-28Es in Heros of the Motherland instead of T-34s?

Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:06 am
by Berrik
ORIGINAL: Maciste

Maybe it's because they are better sloped, but, when I began a Long campaign with soviets (from 1939 on) I found that my Bt-5 had a better chance of surviving than the T-28 when sustaining direct hits... ¡Damn, I even lost t-28s against the Lt-35! :P It's like having Shermans beating by the Italian M11/39

Make sure you get the T-28E variant. The others suck, whereas the T-28E has like 72 armor on the front.