Page 1 of 1
War Plan Orange, Preview #3
Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:08 am
by Tankerace
Here is another graphic preview of the War Plan Orange mod: The US predreadnougts. Also, at the bottom, a special sneak preview at 2 classic ships, one that was never completed in its original form. Enjoy!

RE: War Plan Orange, Preview #3
Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:12 am
by Blackhorse
The Maine? I remember the Maine!
RE: War Plan Orange, Preview #3
Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:13 pm
by rogueusmc
Didn't they just find her a few years ago?
RE: War Plan Orange, Preview #3
Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:20 am
by CobraAus
please check your private inbox
RE: War Plan Orange, Preview #3
Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:28 am
by Tankerace
Me? Checking it now...
RE: War Plan Orange, Preview #3
Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:35 am
by Ron Saueracker
Gorgeous picture, Tank.
RE: War Plan Orange, Preview #3
Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:39 am
by Tankerace
Thanks Ron, I just spent the past half hour or so on it.
RE: War Plan Orange, Preview #3
Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:51 am
by tsimmonds
Love the group protrait. You gotta wonder though, what criteria someone was using to determine the order of the line. The first three are the New Mexicos, followed by two with tripods (Pennsylvanias or Oklahomas), then one with cages (Maryland or California class) followed by a Texas?!?! Then the other two tripods, and two more with cages, the closest to the camera definitely a Maryland (twin turrets)...I'd have the big five first, then the rest in descending order of age...but that's just me.
Oo! Oo! Is that a carrier I see dead ahead on the horizon?
RE: War Plan Orange, Preview #3
Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:01 am
by Tankerace
That carrier (considering this is a 1932 photo) is either Langley or one of the Lexingtons.
As to the order of ships, most battleline photos I have seen usually have the big five together, plus the 3 New Mexicos and the 4 Nevadas and Pennsylvanias. Sometimes the New Yorks operate with them aswell.
I agree though, Big 5 in the lead. Or in my mod, the "Big Six" (Remember the Washington BB-47?).
RE: War Plan Orange, Preview #3
Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:20 am
by tsimmonds
(Remember the Washington BB-47?)
Oh yeah; you mean this
Washington?

RE: War Plan Orange, Preview #3
Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:29 am
by Tankerace
Whoa, nice photo. Usually all you see is of her sitting at a harbor, waiting to be fitted out. Nice one!
RE: War Plan Orange, Preview #3
Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:43 am
by tsimmonds
You've just gotta love Google; I had no idea this pic even existed, took me all of 15 minutes to find it.
RE: War Plan Orange, Preview #3
Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:56 am
by Fallschirmjager
I cant wait to play this one. I will definitly have to find a PBEM opponent for this.
RE: War Plan Orange, Preview #3
Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:03 am
by Tankerace
ITs actually coming along really well. I have half the graphics, and about 40% of the OOB done. And most of that was just in the last few days.
Oh, as a side note and "because I can", I am including 2 German dreadnoughts. It turns out that 1 Nassau and 1 Helgoland class dreadnoughts were given to Japan, and were scrapped in 1920. So, "magically" they haven't been scrapped. This should also help to even the balance between the two forces.
Thanks for the support Fallschirmjager!
RE: War Plan Orange, Preview #3
Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:08 am
by Fallschirmjager
If this goes well I couldnt mind seeing a hypothetical WW1 Pacific
'Jutland' where the German fleet broke out to threathen British colonies and protect her own and the RN gave chase and they meet off the coast of India or Malaysia or something.
Flimsy plan but at least it would provide the basis for a true 'Age of the dreadnaughts scenario'
Also of course, I want to see a Russo Japanese 1904 war scenario as well.
RE: War Plan Orange, Preview #3
Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:10 am
by Tankerace
You aren't the only one.
As I am working on Plan Orange, I am already trying to work a "Plan Black" (US vs Germany). A lot of the ships I am doing for Japan could be carried over to a 1904 Russo-Japanese war, just like a few of the US ships could carry over to a Spansh American War.
Lots of possibilities.
RE: War Plan Orange, Preview #3
Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:37 am
by Ron Saueracker
ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager
If this goes well I couldnt mind seeing a hypothetical WW1 Pacific
'Jutland' where the German fleet broke out to threathen British colonies and protect her own and the RN gave chase and they meet off the coast of India or Malaysia or something.
Flimsy plan but at least it would provide the basis for a true 'Age of the dreadnaughts scenario'
Also of course, I want to see a Russo Japanese 1904 war scenario as well.
Problem with this direction is the German fleet was basically designed for very short duration operations. For example, crew accomodation was sacrificed for protection, with the idea that crews would spend most of their time in shore establishments after their duty period. A protracted cruise around the world may have been all but impossible.
RE: War Plan Orange, Preview #3
Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:43 am
by Sultanofsham
ORIGINAL: Tankerace
You aren't the only one.
As I am working on Plan Orange, I am already trying to work a "Plan Black" (US vs Germany). A lot of the ships I am doing for Japan could be carried over to a 1904 Russo-Japanese war, just like a few of the US ships could carry over to a Spansh American War.
Lots of possibilities.
Very nice [:D]