First impressions of the game
Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:16 pm
Have to say its an awesome game. The scope and depth is unlike anything i have seen before. I could play for another year or so and still find something in it I didnt know existed.
To have a game that includes every ship, Plane and unit of the WWII Pacific front is both gratifying and overwhelming. This alone makes this game very replayable as with the number of units in the game will always been something new to happen.
Also kudos for integrating in such things as leaders and pilots. They have an impact on the game and arent just window dressing. Its just more depth to an already deep game.
As for how the game "feels" I can say it seem to play much as you would expect the actual war to have gone. There is stragety including target selection (air,naval and ground)and economic planing. There is the operational level as you plan operations inside areas of operation. And there is even some tactics as you assign things like what level of Air operations or what planes to group together for airstrikes or how to compose your Task Forces for specific tasks. This game requires you to think. Its not just a checker game can be a very good chess match.
Now that I have game will comment about the Japanese plane controversy. I for one dont see it.
I know I have a different personality than some. I have played games online and between freinds. For me to PLAY the game is the goal. For some others to WIN the game is the goal.
And that is the WHOLE Japanese production argument in a nutshell. Some want to WIN so badly that they feel need to cheat and work around the system.
To me the system isnt broke. Its is right dead on. Doesnt matter that the Japanese are mismatched. That was the HISTORICAL truth.
To me this reminds me of the argument I saw once about German WWII Pilots. Some were bragging "hey they had pilots that had over 300 to 400 Kills during the war)
Yes thats true. Also true they fought for amost 6 years. Also true MANY of those kills were against Polish, French, and Russia Biplanes and crap aircraft. Have to take everything in perspective. Why I find seeing the Buffalo and Nates and older aircraft in the game ot not only be accurate but also FUN. Its one of those things that make you think.
Think of WITP as a chess match. Some want every peice to be knights and queens. For me having PAWNS in the game means I have to plan for how to use them. Its part of the game to fight pawn agianst pawn. Or block a enemy knight with a pawn. Is it fair ? you bet. TO remove all the pawns in the game and only play with super units to me spoils the game and makes it unfun.
Some actually thing the German Whermacht was a uber military force. Truth was it was always short of material and most of the German equiptment was patchwork. Not every german tank was a tiger. German artillery was horse drawn. German produce less than a thousand tanks per month for most of the war.
And if Nazi Germany was lacking in Military equipt then in Japan it was animic. Japan was in far WORSE shape economically than even Nazi Germany. And to hear an argument that Japan needs to be allowed to hyper expand its industry to match Allied output to me not only sounds wrong but just plain stupid.
Reminds me of game I was playing once with my brother Scott. It was the 1941 invasion of Russia. he was the Germans. He turned and asked me "Why cant I have command Tiger starting this campaign ?" [8|]
I patiently explained to him "Germany didnt build the first tiger tank till 1943". he then expressed to me. "Well thats unfair the Russians tanks are almost as good as mine !!!"
Point was that he and I were focused on different things. I wanted to enjoy the game and play with in historical limits. To me the challenge of beating the Russians with what I had was good gaming. For my brother he just wanted to win. Didnt matter how just win. To me that is too much like cheating.
Well after that rant have another rant. What I find wrong with game.
With so much to do in game can get to be a challenge. First off is the convoy system. Economically Im letting the Japan AI run the Japanese economy. I simply increase the Building of Zeros and Betties and cut out some obsolete designs.
But on first turn can get tedious to hit EVERY port and hunt down EVERY Tanker and Cargo ship to order them to go back to the home convoy ports for BOTH sides.
Dunno why the designers did put on every cargo and tanker a button to hit that "Add to Convoy system". I could have just gone down the ship list and hit each ship individually and added them in. As it was I had to go to every base. Add every ship to a TF then send it back to home port to THEN add to convoy system. This could be streamlined alot.
Secondly I feel that the recon phase of this game is really broken.
Someone tell me what is up with recon (non naval) searches ? These pilots have to be the dumbest in the entire game.
I went through on test game and let the deciede their own targets. They ONLY flew over places my bombers and fighters had ALREADY hit !. They tag along on bombing runs. I finally in restart gave orders to each one to check out OTHER targets. My bombers can tell me what is in the hexes I bomb my recon needs to check out other areas.
And for the life of me why did you enter their reports into real time game ? Since you cant jump in and effect what happens during the turn is NO NEED to hear their reports during the battles. I swear every time I hear those damn Japanese recon pilots clicking their cameras I want to scream "Damn Japanese Tourists !!!"
Added to this is the reverse that IMPORTANT data is left out !. Yeah might hear a "Main body" report and or sighting of ships. But I feel there is a part of the game that is missing.
For example. In my first start I heard a "main body" report during the real time replay of the turn. Then it went on to that camera clicking.
It wasnt till AFTER the report I saw what caused that "Main body" report when I checked out the post turn operations report.
Aparently a PBY spotted the Rujuho CVL TF heading towards the Phillipine isles. That PBY got JUMPED by its CAP and damaged. Another PBY spotted a Japanese TF and got hit by flack from it and damaged. Also have seen ASW warfare carried out by planes and ONLY listed in the operational report screen.
I would have NEVER known this if I hadnt check operational reports. TO me that was a CRITICAL report that didnt get to me. I got all those STUPID "CLICK CLICK CLICK" area recon of sites I ALREADY KNEW were gonna take place. And valuable recon didnt get back to me or was breifly skimmed over.
I woud have ENJOYED seeing a Combat report of my PBY getting jumped by the Claudes of that Japanese CAP. To see that PBY under attack would have had me SEARCHING for that Japanese carrier group.
Recon is just completely backwards in this game. Useless "CLICK CLICK CLICK" of ALREADY targeted sites should have been moved to reports only and useful action like spotting enemy taskforces and air combat between recon planes and fighters shoud have been put IN. Need to fix this part of the game.
Finally for now want to mention sound. The "main body " report didnt bother me much. (almost catch myself wanting to take pictures of Beautiful women bending over and saying "Main Body Sighted".
Its the sounds like bombardment. I had BBs bombing a coastline. I expected BOOM !!!! What I got sounds like a car wreck. I swear it sounds like someone rear ended a Yugo I mean you can almost hear the tinfoil crunching !!!
I am gonna edit in better sounds. They do need to be more dramatic.
Gonna play some more and learn some more.
To have a game that includes every ship, Plane and unit of the WWII Pacific front is both gratifying and overwhelming. This alone makes this game very replayable as with the number of units in the game will always been something new to happen.
Also kudos for integrating in such things as leaders and pilots. They have an impact on the game and arent just window dressing. Its just more depth to an already deep game.
As for how the game "feels" I can say it seem to play much as you would expect the actual war to have gone. There is stragety including target selection (air,naval and ground)and economic planing. There is the operational level as you plan operations inside areas of operation. And there is even some tactics as you assign things like what level of Air operations or what planes to group together for airstrikes or how to compose your Task Forces for specific tasks. This game requires you to think. Its not just a checker game can be a very good chess match.
Now that I have game will comment about the Japanese plane controversy. I for one dont see it.
I know I have a different personality than some. I have played games online and between freinds. For me to PLAY the game is the goal. For some others to WIN the game is the goal.
And that is the WHOLE Japanese production argument in a nutshell. Some want to WIN so badly that they feel need to cheat and work around the system.
To me the system isnt broke. Its is right dead on. Doesnt matter that the Japanese are mismatched. That was the HISTORICAL truth.
To me this reminds me of the argument I saw once about German WWII Pilots. Some were bragging "hey they had pilots that had over 300 to 400 Kills during the war)
Yes thats true. Also true they fought for amost 6 years. Also true MANY of those kills were against Polish, French, and Russia Biplanes and crap aircraft. Have to take everything in perspective. Why I find seeing the Buffalo and Nates and older aircraft in the game ot not only be accurate but also FUN. Its one of those things that make you think.
Think of WITP as a chess match. Some want every peice to be knights and queens. For me having PAWNS in the game means I have to plan for how to use them. Its part of the game to fight pawn agianst pawn. Or block a enemy knight with a pawn. Is it fair ? you bet. TO remove all the pawns in the game and only play with super units to me spoils the game and makes it unfun.
Some actually thing the German Whermacht was a uber military force. Truth was it was always short of material and most of the German equiptment was patchwork. Not every german tank was a tiger. German artillery was horse drawn. German produce less than a thousand tanks per month for most of the war.
And if Nazi Germany was lacking in Military equipt then in Japan it was animic. Japan was in far WORSE shape economically than even Nazi Germany. And to hear an argument that Japan needs to be allowed to hyper expand its industry to match Allied output to me not only sounds wrong but just plain stupid.
Reminds me of game I was playing once with my brother Scott. It was the 1941 invasion of Russia. he was the Germans. He turned and asked me "Why cant I have command Tiger starting this campaign ?" [8|]
I patiently explained to him "Germany didnt build the first tiger tank till 1943". he then expressed to me. "Well thats unfair the Russians tanks are almost as good as mine !!!"
Point was that he and I were focused on different things. I wanted to enjoy the game and play with in historical limits. To me the challenge of beating the Russians with what I had was good gaming. For my brother he just wanted to win. Didnt matter how just win. To me that is too much like cheating.
Well after that rant have another rant. What I find wrong with game.
With so much to do in game can get to be a challenge. First off is the convoy system. Economically Im letting the Japan AI run the Japanese economy. I simply increase the Building of Zeros and Betties and cut out some obsolete designs.
But on first turn can get tedious to hit EVERY port and hunt down EVERY Tanker and Cargo ship to order them to go back to the home convoy ports for BOTH sides.
Dunno why the designers did put on every cargo and tanker a button to hit that "Add to Convoy system". I could have just gone down the ship list and hit each ship individually and added them in. As it was I had to go to every base. Add every ship to a TF then send it back to home port to THEN add to convoy system. This could be streamlined alot.
Secondly I feel that the recon phase of this game is really broken.
Someone tell me what is up with recon (non naval) searches ? These pilots have to be the dumbest in the entire game.
I went through on test game and let the deciede their own targets. They ONLY flew over places my bombers and fighters had ALREADY hit !. They tag along on bombing runs. I finally in restart gave orders to each one to check out OTHER targets. My bombers can tell me what is in the hexes I bomb my recon needs to check out other areas.
And for the life of me why did you enter their reports into real time game ? Since you cant jump in and effect what happens during the turn is NO NEED to hear their reports during the battles. I swear every time I hear those damn Japanese recon pilots clicking their cameras I want to scream "Damn Japanese Tourists !!!"
Added to this is the reverse that IMPORTANT data is left out !. Yeah might hear a "Main body" report and or sighting of ships. But I feel there is a part of the game that is missing.
For example. In my first start I heard a "main body" report during the real time replay of the turn. Then it went on to that camera clicking.
It wasnt till AFTER the report I saw what caused that "Main body" report when I checked out the post turn operations report.
Aparently a PBY spotted the Rujuho CVL TF heading towards the Phillipine isles. That PBY got JUMPED by its CAP and damaged. Another PBY spotted a Japanese TF and got hit by flack from it and damaged. Also have seen ASW warfare carried out by planes and ONLY listed in the operational report screen.
I would have NEVER known this if I hadnt check operational reports. TO me that was a CRITICAL report that didnt get to me. I got all those STUPID "CLICK CLICK CLICK" area recon of sites I ALREADY KNEW were gonna take place. And valuable recon didnt get back to me or was breifly skimmed over.
I woud have ENJOYED seeing a Combat report of my PBY getting jumped by the Claudes of that Japanese CAP. To see that PBY under attack would have had me SEARCHING for that Japanese carrier group.
Recon is just completely backwards in this game. Useless "CLICK CLICK CLICK" of ALREADY targeted sites should have been moved to reports only and useful action like spotting enemy taskforces and air combat between recon planes and fighters shoud have been put IN. Need to fix this part of the game.
Finally for now want to mention sound. The "main body " report didnt bother me much. (almost catch myself wanting to take pictures of Beautiful women bending over and saying "Main Body Sighted".
Its the sounds like bombardment. I had BBs bombing a coastline. I expected BOOM !!!! What I got sounds like a car wreck. I swear it sounds like someone rear ended a Yugo I mean you can almost hear the tinfoil crunching !!!
I am gonna edit in better sounds. They do need to be more dramatic.
Gonna play some more and learn some more.