Page 1 of 1
Campaign Question?
Posted: Sun May 20, 2001 11:07 pm
by ranger35
I'm new to Steel Panthers. I've played the tutorial and a few short scenarios to wet my appetite and learn the game. Right now I just have 4.5. I'm waiting on 5.1 and MC. Concerning my question, can you please explain how the WWII campaign progresses? How long will it last and does it have different endings. I'm sure it depends on how well you do in battle. In the European theater, can you get to Moscow? Is it similar to some of the long campaigns like in East Front II? Has the long campaign changed from 4.5 to 5.1? Anything new? Any information will be appreciated... Thanks!
PS-I've started the WWII campaign as Germany but have not completed the first engagement.
Posted: Mon May 21, 2001 3:24 am
by A_B
To the best of my knoledge, the long WWII campaign has about one battle per month for the entire war. The exception to this is lulls in the fighting, such as between the fall of france, and the start of N. Africa or Barbarossa. The long campaign only does major theaters, not minor ones like Norway or Greece. I don't think you really have a chance to go to Moscow, or anywhere A-historc. I think you only progress if you have a win or draw, but not sure on this.
The long campaign has changed from v4 to v5. You now have the option before each battle to make it Hard, regular or easy. The computer purchase routines have also been changed, supposedly to improve the AI purchases. The board does have some griping threads on it right now about the new routines though.
I don't care for the long generated campaigns myself. The ai purchase and setup is horrible, and the maps usually leave something to be desired. I'd suggest getting another gamer to set up battles for you in a quasi-long campagin. It can be easily handled via email, and you can use one of the hundreds of premade maps. Do a search for other posts on campaigns, you'll get some good info off of the boards. Also, there are some very good premade campaigns, but they are usually quite challenging. Try them once you get a good feel for the game mechanics.