Only took 1 night to download, now I'm bursting with questions!
Posted: Mon May 21, 2001 9:12 pm
Hey there!
Okay well first off, this game is great, fantastic, I love it! Anyhow onto the questions!
Firstly I'm not a huge WWII buff, and I'm still pretty new to Combat Mission, actually I'm pretty new to wargaming and WWII in general. So here's my first question, in Combat Mission I've come to assume that a hull down position is a good thing, and I've figured that hull down is where the front of the tank hull is positioned towards the target as to minimize any damage taken from shell hits, am I correct? Then here's the part the pertains to SPWaW is there anyway to put tanks into the position? I ask this because I was decimated in the tutorial mission because my tanks were caught in very compromising positions. I hate to say it but one of my tanks was hit in the rear hull.
Another question, what is the best use of halftracks? I figured they'd be good as infantry support but a german rifle team didn't seem to have much trouble taking them out and well those panzers ripped them to pieces.
Ah yes I almost forgot this, I'd better ask before I forget when I'm almost done. Is there anyway to attatch guns to trucks or half-tracks? Because I had a perfectly decent 57mm AT Gun sitting at my start point just waiting to do something. It was kind of evil I would have loved to have put it in the village or something where it could suprise those enemy panzers.
Jeeps? I had one jeep, I thoguht it might have been my HQ unit but it was just a plain old jeep. They have awesome move distances, in one instance I used it to grab a victory point before an enemy PzIV could then I easily took the enemy panzer out with a Sherman. What do you chaps use jeeps for?
Infantry... What's the best use of infantry, I figure it's best used against soft targets like halftracks, trucks and jeeps. Oh, is there anyway to load infantry onto a halftrack?
There was alot of stuff I didn't check out but I believe I stumbled across a screen called command screen with all the different commanding offices in my force and different options like artillery strike and such. I should probably read over the manual after I get it but I wanted to ask what this screen was for now ;c)
Also if you have any tips for an aspiring commander please feel free to disperse your knowledge upon me eh.
Cheers
~Chris
Okay well first off, this game is great, fantastic, I love it! Anyhow onto the questions!
Firstly I'm not a huge WWII buff, and I'm still pretty new to Combat Mission, actually I'm pretty new to wargaming and WWII in general. So here's my first question, in Combat Mission I've come to assume that a hull down position is a good thing, and I've figured that hull down is where the front of the tank hull is positioned towards the target as to minimize any damage taken from shell hits, am I correct? Then here's the part the pertains to SPWaW is there anyway to put tanks into the position? I ask this because I was decimated in the tutorial mission because my tanks were caught in very compromising positions. I hate to say it but one of my tanks was hit in the rear hull.
Another question, what is the best use of halftracks? I figured they'd be good as infantry support but a german rifle team didn't seem to have much trouble taking them out and well those panzers ripped them to pieces.
Ah yes I almost forgot this, I'd better ask before I forget when I'm almost done. Is there anyway to attatch guns to trucks or half-tracks? Because I had a perfectly decent 57mm AT Gun sitting at my start point just waiting to do something. It was kind of evil I would have loved to have put it in the village or something where it could suprise those enemy panzers.
Jeeps? I had one jeep, I thoguht it might have been my HQ unit but it was just a plain old jeep. They have awesome move distances, in one instance I used it to grab a victory point before an enemy PzIV could then I easily took the enemy panzer out with a Sherman. What do you chaps use jeeps for?
Infantry... What's the best use of infantry, I figure it's best used against soft targets like halftracks, trucks and jeeps. Oh, is there anyway to load infantry onto a halftrack?
There was alot of stuff I didn't check out but I believe I stumbled across a screen called command screen with all the different commanding offices in my force and different options like artillery strike and such. I should probably read over the manual after I get it but I wanted to ask what this screen was for now ;c)
Also if you have any tips for an aspiring commander please feel free to disperse your knowledge upon me eh.
Cheers
~Chris