Page 1 of 1

a few questions

Posted: Mon May 28, 2001 6:21 am
by gbotto600
what is the diffrence between World At War and SPWW2?

why in SPWW2 do DD and other amphib tanks change icons while in SPWAW they don't ?

why is the icon for paradrops diffrent in both and why does it take one turn in SPWW2 for troops to land?

can someone also explain how to do 'overruns' and 'melee' attacks

[ May 27, 2001: Message edited by: Glenn Botto ]

Posted: Mon May 28, 2001 12:27 pm
by Resisti
Originally posted by Glenn Botto:

can someone also explain how to do 'overruns' and 'melee' attacks


ALT-O for overruns
ALT-M for melee
(you must be in the same hex with the enemy to perform both)

As for details on how they work,manual is exaustive on this.

Posted: Mon May 28, 2001 12:50 pm
by Don
I've never played SPWW2, but I think the answer would be that they are two totally different games made by different people. I believe they both started with the same code, but each group wanted to do something different so went their own way.

Checked out your site - keep those flamers contained, will ya? Don't let 'em escape and come here! :eek:

Posted: Mon May 28, 2001 3:00 pm
by Guderian
Spww2 is a game set in identical scale/timeframe as SpWaW but with very diiferent mechanics and features. Current hime is at http://www.wargamer.com/spcammo/

Posted: Mon May 28, 2001 3:59 pm
by Gordon_freeman
The main difference is how the games work:
While SPWAW is a more detailed view to the tanks, SPWW" seems to focus on the infantry.
I like the detail richness in SPWW" in terms of maps and units, but the games mechanisms are truly better in SPWAW, like try to capture infantry while being in the same hax, impossible!
I like em both and see the improvments for SPWAW in the things that are in SPWW2.

Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2001 4:35 am
by Gloo
Originally posted by George aka 2f:
The main difference is how the games work...

I read another thread where Paul Vebber said that SPWW2 and WaW are based on two systems completly different . WW2 is based on the Dos version of SP II and WaW is based on the online version of SP III. He said there's no way to mix OOBs and maps. I know that's true but I'm a bit surprised for I didn't thought the two games systems (SP2/SP3) where so different that good ideas can't be taken from one to another :) . Albeit I suppose he's much more aware of this than I can be ;) Anyway, I really think a mix between the best of these two games would be outstanding... ! I truly hope that the men working on WW2 will keep on improving the game and maybe one day will be using the SP3 engine? As Matrix is abandonning WaW, they are the only hope to see this game system evolving further on.

[ May 31, 2001: Message edited by: Gloo ]

Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2001 5:55 am
by Paul Vebber
I would not say we are abandoning it...just that we have reached the limit of what can do to add more features to it. There will continue to be bug fix updates for SP:WaW.

If we get a good influx of orders once the Mega Campaign ships (any day now) we will be doing a complementary game to Combat Leader with IGO-HUGO mechanics and 25m per hex scale. This game will make both SPWW2 and SP:WaW look pale in comparison...

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2001 6:48 pm
by Gloo
...we will be doing a complementary game to Combat Leader with IGO-HUGO mechanics and 25m per hex scale...[/QB]
Hé hé! Isn't it a scoop?! :)
Honestly, I never gave a real try to CL. I installed the game but was disapointed for it looked to me like a substitute for Close combat (don't get me wrong but that's what came to my mind). I guess it's fairly a good game but don't think I would like it better than WaW. I play SP series since the first artbox fell on the shelves around here and I never quit since then, despite having bought the SSI, Atomic and Talonsoft games. No other wargame seems to be able to replace it on my HD.