Page 1 of 5
At this point I can only be amused.
Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:16 pm
by rroberson
My B-17 bombers continue to remain on strike. Despite all my efforts to get them to fly against the enemy. I am completely bemused at this point. I did get to witness my enemy move betties and sallys forward to a level 2 airbase that I was bombing to strike my warships who were maurading off guadalcanal. So goes my frustration. I now strongly wonder just how screwed our database is. We start our game in version one and two patches later....[8|] at any rate here is some pictures...there are more to follow, for I believe I also got to witness the old scout planes preventing my carrier birds from flying syndrome again.

RE: At this point I can only be amused.
Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:20 pm
by mogami
Hi, Please send you game file to
Mogami69bsa@aol.com
RE: At this point I can only be amused.
Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:22 pm
by Tankerace
I feel for you rob. In my AI game, I devised a magnificent plan, and I built up Kiska Island into a 3 or 4 level airbase, maybe even a level 5 (2 SeaBees, 1 Av Rgt, 1 RCT, 1 CD emplacement). I stocked it with B-17s. *In Theory*, they should be able to bomb the furthermost islands in the Japanese island chain. However, not a single plane has taken off yet.
I have the same problems with B-17s flying out of Wake, which (again, in theory) can reach Marcus Island.
RE: At this point I can only be amused.
Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:26 pm
by rroberson
picture 2

RE: At this point I can only be amused.
Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:29 pm
by Mr.Frag
Any particular reason you have no search planes flying? does setting the B-17's to 10% search and having them spot targets help?
RE: At this point I can only be amused.
Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:31 pm
by John B
Yes, I've had similar situations. It certainly seems from your details that we can rule out the usual suspects like low morale and low experience. I've noticed that my a/c based in NE Australian bases don't do a great deal either. They have launched the occasional raid, but not nearly as many as I had expected. Partly this may be because I move depleted/exhausted units back there from active bases like Port Moresby for "R&R", but there are intact units involved as well.
RE: At this point I can only be amused.
Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:32 pm
by Oznoyng
Cairns is a level 3 airbase according to the images, trying to fly offensive missions with an aircraft that requires? a size 4 and prefers a size 5. I am not suprised they aren't flying missions.
RE: At this point I can only be amused.
Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:34 pm
by rroberson
picture 3

RE: At this point I can only be amused.
Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:35 pm
by rroberson
my understanding is heavies will fly from a size 3, just not be efficient about it....I just watched a heavy strike from lunga which is reporting to me as a size 2.
RE: At this point I can only be amused.
Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:37 pm
by Oznoyng
Range is 9. Any escorts in range?
RE: At this point I can only be amused.
Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:37 pm
by rroberson
ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag
Any particular reason you have no search planes flying? does setting the B-17's to 10% search and having them spot targets help?
Originally I had PBYs operating out of the base...due to air support limitations I moved them once I established that the PM invasion force was in the area. I know search planes help, but it wasnt like I wasnt spotting him warships every day...(thus all the cool red icons

).
RE: At this point I can only be amused.
Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:38 pm
by Mr.Frag
The odds of B-17's flying in an extended range roll against a CV which probably had cap flying without search and escort is pretty small. Thats a lot of negative mods to overcome.
RE: At this point I can only be amused.
Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:45 pm
by tsimmonds
Your best bet might be to put them 100% naval search. You get the DL bumped, and they might actually score.
RE: At this point I can only be amused.
Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:47 pm
by Oznoyng
Is there an Air HQ in Cairns? That would help too.
RE: At this point I can only be amused.
Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:49 pm
by rroberson
to add to my amusement this turn, I thought since my opponent has managed to group all his carriers west of PM in an effort to hunt down my british warships...might be a good time to take a poke at lunga. I had been patiently waiting for him to commit his naval air to one spot and had built up quite a little combat group south of lunga. I set my plan in motion and kept my brits in range of his carrier air to keep him interested. Well the marines have landed successfully, i might add. But along the way i couldnt help but notice that there was apparently a light cruiser off lunga which my navy boys want to take a poke at....so off the flight deck when 14 wildcats and ...they joined up with two scout planes from my only cruiser in the group...huh? I checked the cruiser after the turn ran. he is set for naval search...at this point I have no idea ... Im starting to seriously doubt my gaming abilty though [X(] Admittedly Im doing my turns in a rush due to the football season...so Im not as detailed as I usually am during the offseason...but come on!
More pictures!

RE: At this point I can only be amused.
Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:50 pm
by rroberson
ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag
The odds of B-17's flying in an extended range roll against a CV which probably had cap flying without search and escort is pretty small. Thats a lot of negative mods to overcome.
Is 9 hexes considered an extended range? He has been operating his naval forces within 10 hexes for at least 3 days now. I originally spotted him with scout planes from my illfated surface group.
RE: At this point I can only be amused.
Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:52 pm
by Oznoyng
ORIGINAL: rroberson
ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag
The odds of B-17's flying in an extended range roll against a CV which probably had cap flying without search and escort is pretty small. Thats a lot of negative mods to overcome.
Is 9 hexes considered an extended range? He has been operating his naval forces within 10 hexes for at least 3 days now. I originally spotted him with scout planes from my illfated surface group.
Any time a bomber flies from a less-than-preferred base, it is automatically flying under extended range rules and can only fly the normal range radius. I don't know, but it would make sense that the penalties would be worse the smaller the base is relative to the preferred base size.
RE: At this point I can only be amused.
Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:52 pm
by rroberson
Happily in all of this I finally got surface ships to go to PM. I divided the force and subtracted the two battlewagons and walla , into the breech they went. My undergunned cruiser force made for a nice sacrifice for his battleships at PM. It was insane. For 3 days they allowed naval air forces to bomb them. As soon as I removed the necessary battleships the surface forces had no problem going into PM. I really think our database is screwed from version 1. I cant explain this any other way. (except my own incompetance

)
RE: At this point I can only be amused.
Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:57 pm
by Oznoyng
Are you sure the seagulls were off the task force? You could have the wildcats escorting a strike from elsewhere. I would check every land-based and ship-based Seagul squadron and look for one on Naval attack.
RE: At this point I can only be amused.
Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:06 pm
by rroberson
ORIGINAL: Oznoyng
Is there an Air HQ in Cairns? That would help too.
No, no HQ, its busy ducking japanese shells at PM [:'(]