Page 1 of 1
Question on WBs campaigns
Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2001 11:21 pm
by Paco
Hi
I've been spending some time to play through a couple of Wild Bill's campaigns that I havn't played before; The victors and Watchword freedom. As all other campagins designed by WB, I must say that the quality and playability is awesome, but... those sneaky russians manages to get draws against me although I'm overwhelmingly superior in points. Let me give you a few examples:
The victors, 2nd battle: 16000 against 6000
The victors, 3rd battle: 22000 against 10000
Watchword F, 1st battle: 15000 against 5000
I might be paranoid, but something tells me that my game's messed up in some way. In the first battle of Watchword, I totally annhiliated the russian force and the game ended 3 turns before the turn limit, and still a draw!
Any help appreciated!
Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2001 7:24 am
by Flashfyre
The results you got fall within the guidelines for "Draw" results.....a Marginal Victory requires something like a 5-to-1 ratio of points, and a Decisive something like 10-to-1. If these ratio are wrong, somebody please correct them.
So, in essence, your first battle listed had a ratio of 2.5-to -1; the second a ratio of 2.2-to-1; and the third a 3-to-1 ratio.
None of these are enough to get better than a draw.
You would have needed 30,000+ in the first, 50,000+ in the second, and 25,000+ in the third for Marginal or better victories.
Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2001 7:31 am
by Wild Bill
Thank you Kindly Paco, for the nice words about the campaigns. Some humongous scores you've racked up there. That is good news.
Now the bad...they are right. Here are the ratios of victory...
human vs computer
6 to 1 and up, decisive victory
3 to 1 and up Marginal victory
between 1-2 to 2-1 Draw
1 to 3 marginal defeat
1 to 6 or greater - Decisive defeat
What does that mean. Let's take that first score...16,000 to 6,000
If you removed all the zeroes the score would be 16 to 6, right?
Okay you need 3 to 1 for a marginal victory.
The number 6 will not go into 16 but 2 2/3, less than 3 to 1. You would need at least 18 to 6 to get a marginal (or 18,000 to 6,000)
OR dividing 6,000 into 16,000 gives you the same, 2 2/3 to 1...almost a marginal but not quite.
The same with #2. 10,000 goes into 22,000 = 2 1/5 which is 4/5 from a marginal victory.
To get a marginal victory against 10,000 points you would need a score of 30,000.
Now the 3rd one is so close, you missed by one point (I think you must have rounded these off, rarely do you get fully even numbered scores like that)
It must have been something like 15,210 to 5,450.
The point here is that in this last battle you were so close to a marginal victory that I would have given it to you but alas, the computer cannot make that judgment call.
Sorry, Paco. ...WB
[ June 05, 2001: Message edited by: Wild Bill ]
Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2001 7:40 am
by Flashfyre
My bad, WB.......had the ratios a bit too high. Thx for the correction. And, Paco....I've been there too. Thought I had a decisive, but only got a marginal. In the words of that great secret agent, "Missed it by
that much."

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2001 1:29 pm
by Paco
Thanks for all the help, now I totally get it! And I checked up those scores that I so nicely rounded off:
14797 to 4932 for a ratio of 2.996 to 1!
I must say that I was a little unlucky there! It was all a matter of 7 points or so less for the AI.
Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2001 1:48 pm
by lnp4668
Hi WB, a question about the Long Path to Victory campaign. Did you use the hard version or easy version of the Victors? I managed 3 straight DV against the Soviet this time, something I was not able to do when I tried the Victors last time. Please said that I am better

or at least my core force (most of them are elite by this time) is better

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2001 4:34 pm
by Alexandra
Originally posted by lnp4668:
Hi WB, a question about the Long Path to Victory campaign. Did you use the hard version or easy version of the Victors? I managed 3 straight DV against the Soviet this time, something I was not able to do when I tried the Victors last time. Please said that I am better
or at least my core force (most of them are elite by this time) is better 
I got this answer Bill
While Bill wrote the three campaigns I compiled them into one long one, and I used the hard version of Victors.
Alex
Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2001 5:13 pm
by AmmoSgt
would you believe Agent 86 is still alive ?
Ok would you believe agent 99?
Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2001 7:07 pm
by lnp4668
Thanks Alexandra. I'll give the credit to my elite rangers

Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2001 3:32 pm
by Wild Bill
Thanks, Alexandra. One little further note...
One reason the harder version of THe Victors was easier in the long campaign is because I am sure you have some real tough veterans in your force, who have built up incredible skill and morale. That will do it every time!
Wild Bill