Steel Core AAR
Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:59 am
Looking at the other couple of Hard Core AAR going around, I decided to try it out myself.
My first attempt was a complete disaster when I got involved in a cascading series of engine explosions.
My second attempt, however, I managed to scrape out of okay. I got stuck on a core map, and had to bring four recons against 3 lights. Things went from bad to worse when one my jocks died while ejecting from a mauled and overheated Titan. However, I hung tight and continued pounding away. Unfortunately, my recons just could not dissapate heat, while the lights could. Another of my jocks was forced to eject, safely this time, and a third was going that way, and I had yet to drop any of the opposing team. Luckily one of the light Titans retreated away into lava and failed his piloting skill roll. The sound of a Titan shutting down was heard shortly thereafter. Realizing what was about to happen, my two remaining Titans attempted to flee the impending explosion, and failed. My two remaing Titans and one of the enemy took 16 points of explosion damage, plus even more heat. A draw was offered, and I accepted gratefully.
After upkeep, repairs, and hiring a replacement jock, I made only about 10k profit. Worse, because I randomly determine a set number of battles before I can move onto a new terrain I still have two more battles on core maps. I fear my recons just won't be able to compete against lights if they are encountered again. I guess I'll just have to hope I roll low when determining team balance. (note: under my system, the lowest I can get this way is the -25% to +25%, which might still cause problems).
So far, this has been fun, not to mention challenging. I'm keeping notes on everything, and can post them here from battle to battle here if anyone is interested.
My first attempt was a complete disaster when I got involved in a cascading series of engine explosions.
My second attempt, however, I managed to scrape out of okay. I got stuck on a core map, and had to bring four recons against 3 lights. Things went from bad to worse when one my jocks died while ejecting from a mauled and overheated Titan. However, I hung tight and continued pounding away. Unfortunately, my recons just could not dissapate heat, while the lights could. Another of my jocks was forced to eject, safely this time, and a third was going that way, and I had yet to drop any of the opposing team. Luckily one of the light Titans retreated away into lava and failed his piloting skill roll. The sound of a Titan shutting down was heard shortly thereafter. Realizing what was about to happen, my two remaining Titans attempted to flee the impending explosion, and failed. My two remaing Titans and one of the enemy took 16 points of explosion damage, plus even more heat. A draw was offered, and I accepted gratefully.
After upkeep, repairs, and hiring a replacement jock, I made only about 10k profit. Worse, because I randomly determine a set number of battles before I can move onto a new terrain I still have two more battles on core maps. I fear my recons just won't be able to compete against lights if they are encountered again. I guess I'll just have to hope I roll low when determining team balance. (note: under my system, the lowest I can get this way is the -25% to +25%, which might still cause problems).
So far, this has been fun, not to mention challenging. I'm keeping notes on everything, and can post them here from battle to battle here if anyone is interested.