Page 1 of 1

Ok, so I have the basics worked out...

Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:13 am
by Executor
I have a squad of three green jocks in light titans all set that can stay on its feet, and sometimes even hit what it's aiming at. What's the best way for a guy to make money when his strategy has yet to advance beyond the "stand real close and blast away" stage?

PS: I literally had this game in one hand, and Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries in the other. I'm getting a better and better feeling that I made the proper choice now. Heh.

PPS: I love the Icelord. You can just shoot and shoot and shoot with nary a care in the world, which is great when you miss a lot.

RE: Ok, so I have the basics worked out...

Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:43 am
by Burzmali
Well, you can try to increase the number of kills you get by buy a AT with neutron blasters or getting a yellow or green scan and targetting the opponent's head till it comes off. Each additional kill will net you ~10-20k extra. Other than that, you will have to learn to quickly immobilize enemies while minimizing the damage your own ATs take. That's the real key to earning a whole heap of money in this game.

RE: Ok, so I have the basics worked out...

Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:01 pm
by Reliable Royce
ORIGINAL: Executor
What's the best way for a guy to make money when his strategy has yet to advance beyond the "stand real close and blast away" stage?

I usually do the first two missions in Deep Core campaign first. This is an easy way to get some experience/money. Then I would do a few Random missions to build up some more money and experience. I try to make sure that my jumping ability is good at this point and all my Titans have Jump Jets. Then finish Deep Core.

Like Burzmali, I like to make sure that I have at least one Titan with a neutron blaster. If I blow an enemy's leg off, then I pour the neutron blaster in until the jock is dead (if possible).

Royce

RE: Ok, so I have the basics worked out...

Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:35 pm
by Executor
Tried the first Deep Core mission. Everything was fine until I decided to use jump jets to cross some water. Jesus Christ, I've really had enough of my guys being thwarted by things like a shallow stream or their own jets. Can I please put my goddamn Titans on some tank treads so they don't land on their heads and kill themselves tripping over every goddamn thing on the field?

RE: Ok, so I have the basics worked out...

Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:33 pm
by LarkinVB
Its you ...

RE: Ok, so I have the basics worked out...

Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:07 pm
by Sleeping_Dragon
With a low level jock you need a 'decent' jump jet skill AND a titan with a good handling modifier, else plan on ending up on the ground alot. Also don't land in water, swamps, and trees... that's for experienced jocks. Patience Grasshopper... your still getting a feel for the rules.

Basically for low level jocks KEEP IT SIMPLE.

For lower level jocks earning money, use the terrian to your advantage, try to possition yourself so that the enemy don't come into LOS until they're within your weapon's range. Make sure to use cover! But be VERY aware that trees can catch on fire, less likely in Polar terrian and cover in Biochem and Core don't burn at all; Also at low levels the AI jocks don't intentially try to lite up your cover very often (high level AI jocks will lite up your burnable cover in a heartbeat). In addition to NBs a good energy jock with a Black Ray Gun can come in handy, epecially if you can down a jock in a swamp or water (the AI has the same chances to fall while standing as you do), A BRG titan also works good in tandem with a CC titan, use the BRG to try to keep your target down will your HTH titan beats the crap out of it.

RE: Ok, so I have the basics worked out...

Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:53 am
by Executor
Nah, screw this. MW4: Mercs is only $20, and I can't imagine it's going to feature my 'mech crashing every three steps because "not tripping over your own feet like a goddamn moron" is some sort of advanced skill that only Jedi Master pilots know. Bye.

RE: Ok, so I have the basics worked out...

Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:46 pm
by Sleeping_Dragon
Your lose for not having the patience to learn with game. Your tempremant suggests you should stick to 1st person shooters.